Bright rails style strat bridge

Meanjoegreene

Need a replacement for the cool rails that’s in there now. Doesn’t have to be high output just able to handle high gain and not be too out of place with the other 2 vintage type single coils. The cool rails just sounds like a weak and mellow humbucker.

Probably going off 250k pots

Need a replacement for the cool rails that’s in there now. Doesn’t have to be high output just able to handle high gain and not be too out of place with the other 2 vintage type single coils. The cool rails just sounds like a weak and mellow humbucker.

Probably going off 250k pots
Reach out to Planet Tone pickups. I have a DG strat set from them that is absolutely insane!! I went through a ton of different pickups and nothing comes close to the set from them. One of the best bridge pickups ever!!! Good luck :)

Dimarzio Chopper is my go-to for rails that combine the best of single and hum tones, while handling high gain well.

Dimarzio Chopper is my go-to for rails that combine the best of single and hum tones, while handling high gain well.
I looked at that one a while back as it seems like a good choice.

My problem with some of the blades or single coil size HBs is they just sound so woofy compared to the other 2 singles. I know some of that is inherent but there’s gotta be a bright one that pairs better than the usual suspects like hot rails or lil JB

Chopper is definitely not woofy! I took out the two Duncan Hot Rails bridge ones, that were in the middle and neck positions of my Kramer SM-1, because they were woofy and dark. Chopper is much leaner and open sounding. I replaced the middle pickup with a Lil' 59 mid/neck one. Also an improvement, but I do hear the volume dropping when doing bends, because of the smaller pole pieces. No such issues with rails-design pickups.

Attachments

• Kramer SM1 02.jpg
    Kramer SM1 02.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 10
  • SM-1 with Chopper and Lil 59.jpg
    SM-1 with Chopper and Lil 59.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I put a set of Barden pickups in my "strat" (Jackson w/ 3 singles and Floyd) years back and love them. They sound very single-like, but no noise. I use them for about anything where I want a strat-type sound.

+1 for the Chopper. I tried a few different rails (in the Dimarzio ecosystem) to match up with vintage Strat pickups and that's where I ended up.

Back