CAE PT-100 Vs. Bogner 20th XTC

MantraSky":3fmmtujo said:
Big Jazzer, your very right about the XTC 101b as with all the XTC's! There sound seems to be coming from the back of the speakers! They sound like there studio perfected and they lost that "Live" aggressiveness! Through a microphone they can cut through the mix, but if you were to play them in a general live band context, they come up short, I'm not talking about volume as the XTC's can get very loud, just this "Processed" sound that doesn't have "Punch!" If you think of Hendrix, Cream, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, EVH, SRV etc. There Marshall's were massive and aggressive, where if you don't have the skill to control them, they can run away from you! There was this tone in the air that emphasize "live performance" excitement, and that's exactly what my PT100 has! Interestingly my SLO's at very low volume had this "fizz" that's hard to get out, but in a live band situation that goes away and sounds awesome, definitely blows away any XTC's that I've had! My PT100 for low volume (3:00am) playing, has the "Solid State" Efx-loop and if you turn up Level 2 & 3 and turn down the Master volume on the back of the amp, surprisingly the amp sounds huge, real close to Power-Tube tone with clarity, incredible-loop! Live it's a different thing, it has that rawness and aggressiveness, but articulative and sounds beautiful! :)

Hey MantraSky,
How does the PT100 sound in bedroom volumes or small gigs?
Keep rockin', :rock:
Oz

MantraSky":186gmnrc said:
Big Jazzer, your very right about the XTC 101b as with all the XTC's! There sound seems to be coming from the back of the speakers! They sound like there studio perfected and they lost that "Live" aggressiveness! Through a microphone they can cut through the mix, but if you were to play them in a general live band context, they come up short, I'm not talking about volume as the XTC's can get very loud, just this "Processed" sound that doesn't have "Punch!" If you think of Hendrix, Cream, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, EVH, SRV etc. There Marshall's were massive and aggressive, where if you don't have the skill to control them, they can run away from you! There was this tone in the air that emphasize "live performance" excitement, and that's exactly what my PT100 has! Interestingly my SLO's at very low volume had this "fizz" that's hard to get out, but in a live band situation that goes away and sounds awesome, definitely blows away any XTC's that I've had! My PT100 for low volume (3:00am) playing, has the "Solid State" Efx-loop and if you turn up Level 2 & 3 and turn down the Master volume on the back of the amp, surprisingly the amp sounds huge, real close to Power-Tube tone with clarity, incredible-loop! Live it's a different thing, it has that rawness and aggressiveness, but articulative and sounds beautiful! :)

yes yes yes this. You and bigjazzer understand the lesson i learned years ago- exactly- i had a 100b and it was nice, sounded good but I was making a record in the 90's and we had a bunch of amps... next to a Plexi it was like holy shit, someone take the blanket off the amp- plexis and the Marshall tones people crave in general could be almost out of control- loud, brash and bright but that's the sound!!! I feel Brian from Top Hat Amps said it best- he thought the Ecstacy sounded like it had already been tamed by mics and compression and was coming out of studio monitors. But out of it's own cab, if that makes sense.

The PT had to do that vintage raunchy thing, I wanted a true "Fender and Marshall" on one not just pseudo fender meets pseudo Marshall but more polite.

It's a pro gigging/studio player's amp, meant to be rocked!

petethorn":h3xs9vwx said:
MantraSky":h3xs9vwx said:

yes yes yes this. You and bigjazzer understand the lesson i learned years ago- exactly- i had a 100b and it was nice, sounded good but I was making a record in the 90's and we had a bunch of amps... next to a Plexi it was like holy shit, someone take the blanket off the amp- plexis and the Marshall tones people crave in general could be almost out of control- loud, brash and bright but that's the sound!!! I feel Brian from Top Hat Amps said it best- he thought the Ecstacy sounded like it had already been tamed by mics and compression and was coming out of studio monitors. But out of it's own cab, if that makes sense.

The PT had to do that vintage raunchy thing, I wanted a true "Fender and Marshall" on one not just pseudo fender meets pseudo Marshall but more polite.

It's a pro gigging/studio player's amp, meant to be rocked!

Hi Pete Thorn I watched your review of the PT-100 and Marsha, how do you think both amps compare and which one do you prefer for 80's hard rock metal type music?

Regards,
Nico.

MantraSky":3f2pvuec said:
Hi Oz, the PT100 has an awesome "Solid State" (tube buffered), Effects loop! If you turn up the levels of the channels and turn down the Master Volume on the back of the amp, it will push the amp to where it sounds very close to Power tube tone! (I'm not a fan of attenuators). I've recorded 3:00am with the amp at very low volume (TV level), and it sounds killer! Whereas some of my beloved amps, like my SLO's at that level, it's hard to get rid of the fizz (although one of the all time great amps). In clubs it's a different situation, A lot of sound engineers want you to keep the amp around "2" or less, to keep the db from hitting the mic hard and distorting and using the house mains, again if you push the levels, the PT100 amazingly sounds like it's up near full! The only way I can describe my experience, it sounds like a Plexi/JCM800 type of clarity & distortion, not fuzzy but with oumph. Then you have clubs that you can send a direct signal to the board and you can listen to the Monitors and your amp! That way you can hear "Your" amp against the monitors of your band, it's like being in a studio control room but now I can turn up much louder :) I miss the day's of 11,000 monitor & 80,000 mains. Oz, the PT100 is an amazing amp!

:thumbsup:
:rock:
Oz

MantraSky":1n4gxs2q said:
Rock on Oz

Also, I'm very curious about the new "PT-100 II". If it will be better than the first one, it should be "off the charts"...... ;)
I talked with Shon from Suhr and he told will be available in the beginning of the next year, or maybe some news in the end of this current.
Cheers,
Oz

Oz Hofstatter":3o8p1paj said:
MantraSky":3o8p1paj said:
Rock on Oz

Also, I'm very curious about the new "PT-100 II". If it will be better than the first one, it should be "off the charts"...... ;)
I talked with Shon from Suhr and he told will be available in the beginning of the next year, or maybe some news in the end of this current.
Cheers,
Oz

What will be the changes made to Suhr branded version of the amp?

Besides MIDI that I personally don't really care for... Anyone know?

Oz, I really hope the new PT100 won't have that Marshall like look! Tone matters first but I really like the look of the SLO or the XTC 100b, there are so many amp companies that have that look, I hope Suhr will be original with there new design.

Nico, I've seen and heard little regarding the new PT100, midi is an option and I'm sure you can get the amp without it. I'm also not a big built-in midi fan, but I think the capability has merit! You could have total control over all of your efx & amp needs. Suhr would be your best bet regarding information.

MantraSky":u6ooggws said:
Oz, I really hope the new PT100 won't have that Marshall like look! Tone matters first but I really like the look of the SLO or the XTC 100b, there are so many amp companies that have that look, I hope Suhr will be original with there new design.

Same here. I like originality.
Let's hope to have a version 2 even better than 1. Maybe a separate EQ for all channels..... ;)
Best,
Oz

Oz, I hope so also, John is amazingly original and creative, but I'll tell you I do love the PT100 and it would have to be such a master piece in tone, not necessarily options to sway me from it!

Suhr":30qc7daz said:
MARK1970":30qc7daz said:
I love my PT100. I have been a Suhr fanboy for 4 years. :D

I like the ham on that avatar!
I thought you didn't eat pork. That's what Steve Smith said. How come Steve doesn't get any credit around here? :LOL: :LOL:

I am surprised I am hearing the 20th XTC does not cut.
I use an EL34 20th Shiva and I find it sits on the mix fine, cuts great!
I was talking to Stu from Fat Sound Guitars and he mentioned he used to be a big XTC user but struggled with cut. He said with most amps he could either get cut and an unforgiving nature or no cut and a very forgiving amp.
He agreed with me in that Bogner fixed that with the new Shiva, and I use EL34s in mind!
It actually reminds me a lot if a Marshall. Cut us great!

I find that the new 20th Shiva IS a pro gigging/studio player's amp!!!!!! Not sure what happened to the XTC.

I also use another popular low mid amp, a Mesa Dual Rec. I have never had a problem with any of the ones I heard live. However thus new Recto us way more Marshally, even with 6L6 tubes, much brighter and great cut. I think both amps are much improved over old designs.

I also often hear people say V30s are better than other speakers for live play. I agree they are good for that but I have also had no issue with Mist other Celestions assuming I tweak the amp correctly.

I had a od100se+ modded to PT100 specs, I owned it and loved up until last month. I really wanted to try the Bogner 20th XTC. I traded the pt100 for a 20th xtc, I have to say miss the pt100 already and will be putting the 20th xtc up for sale. I don't regret doing the trade as I had to try both and couldn't afford both. I will wait for the release of the new PT100 and will be one of the first to put my order in. I am very excited about the new PT100 and was going to depart with my original one anyways to fund for the new one. Just have to wait now and hope it's not to far out.

The PT100 is the ultimate amp for me, just like Pete said "It's a pro gigging/studio player's amp, meant to be rocked"

bwgintegra":2q5p7i0n said:
I had a od100se+ modded to PT100 specs, I owned it and loved up until last month. I really wanted to try the Bogner 20th XTC. I traded the pt100 for a 20th xtc, I have to say miss the pt100 already and will be putting the 20th xtc up for sale. I don't regret doing the trade as I had to try both and couldn't afford both. I will wait for the release of the new PT100 and will be one of the first to put my order in. I am very excited about the new PT100 and was going to depart with my original one anyways to fund for the new one. Just have to wait now and hope it's not to far out.

The PT100 is the ultimate amp for me, just like Pete said "It's a pro gigging/studio player's amp, meant to be rocked"

How does the Bogner you have compare to your Diezel and Splawn? I ask because I have the new 20th EL34 Bogner Shiva and I find it fairly Marshally but with more low mids. I actually find it sorta bright and it cuts great. Maybe the XTC is darker? Interesting, because my Shiva is a killer live amp and I am seeing more pros use the 20th Shiva.

I also ask about the Splawn because I am looking at a Splawn or Baron as my next amp.

richedie":3re8kcch said:
bwgintegra":3re8kcch said:

How does the Bogner you have compare to your Diezel and Splawn? I ask because I have the new 20th EL34 Bogner Shiva and I find it fairly Marshally but with more low mids. I actually find it sorta bright and it cuts great. Maybe the XTC is darker? Interesting, because my Shiva is a killer live amp and I am seeing more pros use the 20th Shiva.

I also ask about the Splawn because I am looking at a Splawn or Baron as my next amp.

The 20th XTC cuts nice, the 101B is the darker XTC. The thing that disappoints me the most with the 20th xtc is the blue channel. The blue channel is lacking, if I could have the 20th xtc with the blue channel from the 101B it would be a winner. I have never played the 20th shiva so can't really compare. The 20th xtc is a great amp but just not the one for me.

Bogners and diezels have tones of their own that can't really be duplicated by others.
The Splawn is a great modded Marshall tone, aggressive, nice punch, and great mids.
I have owned 2 quickrods, 2 nitros, and have the streetrod now. I prefer the streetrod/quickrod tones over the nitro. It's got nice upper mids but not overwhelming.

Thanks bwgintegra,

I love my 20th Shiva and I kow Bogner worked hard to get this amp to retain some of the woody mids and squish of the old Bog's but with better cut. I thikn with the SHiva, they nailed it. I also have a new Mesa DR that I think is sorta Marshally and cuts! I really want a nice Marshall killer now and was looking at the Baron B series heads and the Quickrod or Streetrod.

Does the Streetrod sound as fat as a Quickrod? I tend to find 100 watt amps to sound fatter and fuller. :(
I fear the massive volume of Splawns too. :)

Back