Can a Deluxe Reverb really sound this good?

I've got a DRRI and maybe with a really high gain pedal you could get some kind of usable hi gain tone, but it won't sound like that. That's a super processed tone. Moreover, I don't WANT my DRRI to sound like that lol
i should rephrase - it's not that it's a bad tone per se, but not something i'd use a DR for.

I had an early 66 blackface DR back in the day that was like heaven in a box. the most warm and sexy overdrive ever when turned out to 6.5 - 7. i can see turning one that loud, and putting an sd1 or tube screamer with the gain set high in front of it, and getting in that tonal area.

another vote for i wouldn't want my deluxe reverb to sound like that, though.

Yeah, I don't really want to do this tone on a Fender but it would be an excuse to get one.

DRRIs are unfortunately all different, as in where in the drive knob they break up

I've used a deluxe clone to gig in a punk band with no pedals before, so I know its possible

The tone the vid starts with, I can definitely hear that coming from a cranked DRRI, but once the song actually kicks in…nope.

It’s just a mimed performance, she could have used anything on it.

I used a cranked 65 deluxe reverb and barber supersport pedal to play a few gigs and it got a similar tone to the vid for rock stuff, it wasnt my usual tone but i was lazy and didnt feel like bringing a head and cab at the time.

Last edited:
Back around the early to mid 2000s when I didn't know anything about amps or tone and was a member at TGP I'd ask how do I get this particular 80s metal tone. Most of the guys would say a Fender and a pedal. I'd always get guys PMing me and saying these guys telling me this were old and didn't play or know that style of music. They'd say you need to go over to Rig Talk and asked the question. But maybe the old guys were onto something. I know Brett Kingman always demo's his pedals with a Fender model on his Fractal.

Back