Can someone please explain the Hardwire Kill/Dry mod?

Bry Guy

I see that Steve Lukather has his Hardwire Delays modded to Kill/Dry.

Can someone please explain what that is and what the benefits are?

Thanks in advance!

Well not much.

But since this forum is titled "Dave Friedman of Rack Systems Ltd." not "Friedman Amps Only", plus the fact his company does perform that mod, it seemed that this would be the right place to ask this question.

Or did I misread the title?

It's all good.

My apologies as well. I should have been quicker to explain myself and not as quick to be snarky. :doh:

That's not usually my way......

We cool? :D

Bry Guy":2n1wln9f said:
It's all good.

My apologies as well. I should have been quicker to explain myself and not as quick to be snarky. :doh:

That's not usually my way......

We cool? :D
It's all good. ;)

Well, as far as I know it's a Kill dry option.
That means the dry Signal is comepletely removed / killed. You will only her the wet fx signal.

Think for a delay: In normal operation you hear the direct guitar signal and the repeats.
With the kill dry option you will only hear the repeats. No kind of dry signal in any way.

With this option you can use the delay perfectly with parallel fx-loop.

A normal serial loop works like this:
Your signal passes the amps preamp and goes into the FX loop. Then your signal passes your fx unit and goes back to the return of the amplifier. To make things short: Your comeplet signal goes through the FX unit.

With killdry option you can use a parallel fx loop:
Here you always have a constantly direct dry Signal that will never leave your amplifier. Parallel to that signal line you have a wet only signal. With a mix knob on your amp you can blend the wet only signal to your dry only signal. Therefore you need an fx unit with no dry signal.

A lot of people say a parallel loop is the way to go cause it sounds more pure and organic than a series loop due to the fact that there is always a constant dry signal line with no sound degradation or sth like that.

Personally I'm using serial loop for years without problems.

That's it

Ok. I think I get it.

So if you use an external mixer you can blend the wet/dry signal before it goes into the amp?

Is that how you run yours?

If so how do you split the signal before it gets to the FX unit?

Yes and no...

My post was about amp loops. There are two different Kind of amp loops out there. Parallel and serial. For example looking at the rear panel of an old Diezel VH4. There you have bot loops. And a mix knob in front.

Now what you mean is the typical wet/dry/wet solution the most guitar pros use.

Basically your are doing the same as with a parallel loop but bigger :)
You have a basic dry half stack in the middle. This half stack is only for your pure in your face dry sound.
With an amps line out or a Splitter you can Route the Signatur to the wet cabinets. Therefore you need an Amplifier / power amp and effects with the kill dry option for example to hear only the effect but not the guitar signal.

So you have wet/dry/wet.

Research on Google will help. Steve lukather for example or Steve stevens, all good wet dry wet examples.

So, if I'm running into just one amp, I wouldn't benefit from this right?

This is only for wet/dry or wet/dry/wet setups?

Yes, or you ll use a parallel loop.
Friedman stuff uses serial loops but has a line out for wet dry wet rigs.

For only one amp with serial loop this mod isnt for ya...

Gotcha!

Ok well I can put that on the back burner until I expand my rig.

I appreciate you explaining this to me. You never know until you ask, right?

Back