Carvin cabs?

mindseye

Just picked up a older Carvin 4-12 front loaded loaded with English G12T-75's for $75
Won't get a chance to play it till tomorrow, looks to be solid plywood construction and seems to be the same size as a JCM cab from what I remember.

What are you guys thoughts on this.... Is it a score or not
What are the odds of it sounding good with a JVM or a Trem o verb?

Happy new year folks!

mindseye":rjovei89 said:
Just picked up a older Carvin 4-12 front loaded loaded with English G12T-75's for $75
Won't get a chance to play it till tomorrow, looks to be solid plywood construction and seems to be the same size as a JCM cab from what I remember.

Happy new year folks!
$75 is a steal, I have a newer Carvin legacy cab think it sounds great

Score for sure!

Speakers should be worth 75 a piece or more if they're English Celestions.

Cabs are just fine, i got stack loaded up for cookie monster, with cookie monster speakers.

Definite score. I have a Legacy 2x12 which comes loaded with v30's
Sounds great and it's incredibly durable.
My only gripe with it is its on the small side and a standard Marshall head sticks out about 2 inches on each end. Looks funny.

that is a steal. I recently found a beat to hell Laney cab with Celestions in it for $90 and couldn't be happier

Carvin cabs are solid. You got a deal. I just don't like the Carvin speakers. If this one came with real T75s, and not the Carvin knock-offs, you're golden. I doubt they are English Celestions, though. Carvin likes to use cheap parts. That's why their amps are mediocre until you start swapping shit out.

I think it will sound tighter than a Marshall cab, but I give the same advice as I do a Marshall cab. Re-wire it and get rid of the switch and the PC board if it's still in there. A jack wired to speakers is much better than that PC board.

Thanks for the replys.
The cab is ruff around the edges, it has a sound all it's own that's for sure... Definitely a different tone than my Mesa Recto cab loaded with Tone Tubbys.
I peaked into the cab from the jack plate and I'm pretty sure I see a tag on the speakers that say made in England or English or something like that don't see the word China on them anywhere, the guy told me he swapped the speakers out many many years ago FWIW.

Do you guys think these T75's would mix well with the Tone Tubys, they seem to have a tighter low end than the TT's..... Might swap a couple of them out of each cab in a X formation if you guys think they would work well together.

Thanks for the input!!

Great score. A few years back, I purchased a Carvin cab from the mid 80s. It had three useless speakers in it. I paid $150. I wanted it to go with my X100B that I originally purchased in 88-89. Well it is the last vinyl head before the carpet and first run with 6V6 chassis with EL34s in it. I will be loading it with some creambacks.

I use two Carvin 4x12's from the mid 80's that i picked up for $100.00 each in near mint shape with my Soldano amp.
I reloaded them with EVM12L's and they became my favorate cabinets to date.
One of the best kept secrets in getting a quality cabinet at a cheap price without paying over a grand for a new one with chineese speaker in them .
YMMV

I've got an older Carvin 412 from the 80's too, and it's built like a tank. All nice plywood, good stuff. Loaded with good Celestions, it sounds great.

Score! I still use my old Carvin 412 for gigs. It's loaded with Carvin/Eminence BR12s which don't have quite the amount of bite or spiky freqs that many Celestions have, but it's a killer compliment to our other guitarist's Marshall cab. Very big and balanced sounding cab. Build quality is great for the price.

mindseye":1uyq3zsb said:

Happy new year folks!

Great deal, and I think it'll probably work great for those amps, though you may want to mix some V30's in at some point if you don't end up being totally satisfied! I have one of the '80s metal-grill cabs that originally came with G12m70's that I replaced with 2 EV12L's and 2 V30's and dig it. 8) I also have an old Lee Jackson cab (rear loaded) with V30's. The Carvin sounds much bigger while also retaining clarity, though I couldn't fairly say it's just due to the cab itself or being front vs. rear loaded because it also has the EV's in it. The cabs are both heavy and seem to be built fairly similary.

Back