CCV or CCM?

FourT6and2

I currently have a Hot Cat 30R and I've been searching for a new amp for a while. I think I'll keep the Hot Cat, but I'm looking for something in Class A/B that can do some heavier, more modern stuff. I've been looking at Diezel, Bogner (I used to own an Uberschall), Mako, VHT, and now Cameron.

I had a chance to play the Diezel VH4, Herbert, and Einstein. They are nice amps, but a little too stiff for my taste.

Never played or heard a Mako nor a Cameron in person, so I have no real experience to base a judgement of off.

I don't really know how the CCV and CCM differ in tone and feel. Can anybody who has HEARD OR PLAYED THESE AMPS IN PERSON (not in clips) share your experiences?

I play a wide variety of styles, but I tend to gravitate toward a modern-voiced, high-gain sound with a raw grind/growl gain structure, tight low-end (but not overbearing), a smooth mid response that is on the fence between scooped and an in-your-face type of mid presence, and a high-end that is also smooth, cuts, but doesn't present itself as harsh or thin.

Stylistically, I play stuff like Tool, A Perfect Circle, Dredg, Coheed and Cambria, Killswitch Engage, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, NOFX, The Doors, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, and etc.

I don't really need a super versitile amp since I'll have the Hot Cat for other tones.

My guitars are a PRS Artist Singlecut, a Jackson Dinky with EMG 81/85, and I'm thinking about getting an ESP Horizon with Duncan JB/59.

I also really really hate amps that are "crunchy" sounding. I prefer an open, airy, 3D tone with a hint of smoothness.

So, either nobody except a few people have actually heard these amps in person and those few aren't posting or nobody cares enough to help me out...

FourT6and2":2izznheo said:
So, either nobody except a few people have actually heard these amps in person and those few aren't posting or nobody cares enough to help me out...

It's probably that nobody cares enough to help you out :cry: :aww: :cry: :aww:

From what your describing in your original post , the CCV would probably be the better choice. It can get really heavy and saturated, and it does it in a nice smooth kinda way. Neither the CCM or the CCV are fizzy...The Voicing and presence control dip switches give you so many different variations of sounds its not even funny. I'd have to say the CCV is probably a tad more versatile because it has the plexi mode switch over the master volume on channel 2....The ccm just seems to be a tad more aggressive and a little bit different in the midrange... they both FEEL incredible, and are both 3d sounding... They are TIGHT, but very easy to play... It's something you have to try to understand , very unique! Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

FourT6and2":3m9zvuvm said:
I currently have a Hot Cat 30R and I've been searching for a new amp for a while. I think I'll keep the Hot Cat, but I'm looking for something in Class A/B that can do some heavier, more modern stuff. I've been looking at Diezel, Bogner (I used to own an Uberschall), Mako, VHT, and now Cameron.

I had a chance to play the Diezel VH4, Herbert, and Einstein. They are nice amps, but a little too stiff for my taste.

Never played or heard a Mako nor a Cameron in person, so I have no real experience to base a judgement of off.

I don't really know how the CCV and CCM differ in tone and feel. Can anybody who has HEARD OR PLAYED THESE AMPS IN PERSON (not in clips) share your experiences?

I play a wide variety of styles, but I tend to gravitate toward a modern-voiced, high-gain sound with a raw grind/growl gain structure, tight low-end (but not overbearing), a smooth mid response that is on the fence between scooped and an in-your-face type of mid presence, and a high-end that is also smooth, cuts, but doesn't present itself as harsh or thin.

Stylistically, I play stuff like Tool, A Perfect Circle, Dredg, Coheed and Cambria, Killswitch Engage, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, NOFX, The Doors, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, and etc.

I don't really need a super versitile amp since I'll have the Hot Cat for other tones.

My guitars are a PRS Artist Singlecut, a Jackson Dinky with EMG 81/85, and I'm thinking about getting an ESP Horizon with Duncan JB/59.

I also really really hate amps that are "crunchy" sounding. I prefer an open, airy, 3D tone with a hint of smoothness.

Either amp will suite your needs. Here are a few observations that I noticed that might help you out a bit. The mids on the CCV are different then the Mids on the CCM and even though they both have a bucket of gain the CCM has more on tap. The CCV has more of an aaaah character in the mids and the CCM is more modern soudning and not as accentuated in the mids although it still has a killer midrange character. The CCV cleans up better by rolling off the volume knob..it is very uncanny how clean the amp can get especially at flame thrower gain levels and its One of the only high gain amps that I know of that can do this. The CCM can do this as well and is amazing in its own right but it wont be as clean as the CCV althoug it still does an excellent job!!.
The clean channel on the CCV and CCM are different as well. The CCV has that Marshall like clean and a ton of headroom and the CCM has more of a fender vibe with more bottom end IMHO.
I love both amps and will own both someday but Im leaning more towards the CCM for my first purchase.
I hope this helps!

Ralph

Ah, thanks for the input! :)

This is proving to be a tough decision. I have a short list of amps I'm considering, but they are all really similar to each other. I think I might actually buy two: Cameron CCV or CCM, Mako Mak2, or Splawn Nitro.

It's too bad that there's nowhere to actually play these amps, in person, before you buy them...

Where is Cameron Amplification located? There is absolutely zero contact information, besides an email address, on their website?

Back