Charvel San Dimas Pickguard Question

Jet Troop

I was wondering if a white Fender Strat HH pickguard is a perfect replacement for the San Dimas Charvel So Cal pickguard?

Jet Troop":1mcnjw1a said:
I was wondering if a white Fender Strat HH pickguard is a perfect replacement for the San Dimas Charvel So Cal pickguard?

No, it is not. The Charvel neck pocket as 1/16" wider than the Fender. You have to install the pickguard and very slightly open up the neck pocket cutout on it to accommodate the wider Charvel neck butt width. It's pretty easy to do.

The outside contours are very slightly different also, it will fit with the neck pocket opened up like Curt mentioned, but it won't follow the lines exactly. I do have a template for the Charvel pickguard though, what are you looking for?

luxxtone":2wke8z6l said:
The outside contours are very slightly different also, it will fit with the neck pocket opened up like Curt mentioned, but it won't follow the lines exactly. I do have a template for the Charvel pickguard though, what are you looking for?

I just want a plain white one like a 54 strat but with 2 humbuckers and a 5 way switch slot. I haven't made up my mind if I want to keep it like a strat and have 3 knobs or just have 2? I also want one just like that but HSS. I want it to be an exact match. I need all the holes to line up. I thought about making one and using an original as a template to make a template and then making a couple.Do you make them? PM me if you would sir. Thanks

You can also order a warmoth strat pickguard and shave the neck pocket a little. While the screw holes do not line up perfectly, once you have the pickguard in place and the screws tightened, its really not noticeable IMHO.

Here are my results.

Attachments

• so cal 2.jpg
    so cal 2.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 5,627
  • so cal.jpg
    so cal.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 5,668
If it really bothers you, Warmoth will sell you a guard with no holes in it, and you can copy the existing guard.

gtrlw":yflh84zc said:
You can also order a warmoth strat pickguard and shave the neck pocket a little. While the screw holes do not line up perfectly, once you have the pickguard in place and the screws tightened, its really not noticeable IMHO.

Here are my results.

That looks great with the white pickguard.

Chubtone":19zu3t09 said:
Jet Troop":19zu3t09 said:

No, it is not. The Charvel neck pocket as 1/16" wider than the Fender. You have to install the pickguard and very slightly open up the neck pocket cutout on it to accommodate the wider Charvel neck butt width. It's pretty easy to do.

other than the neck pocket on the fender pickguards do the screwholes line up pretty well ??

The screw holes in my Warmoth pickguard lined up perfect:
webcharvels.jpg

I just screwed the guard in place with the neck off, and used a dremel on low to shave it to match the pocket. Worked the same on my friend's 1st batch Tangerine SoCal as well.

Toshiro":ijmq2zz1 said:
The screw holes in my Warmoth pickguard lined up perfect:
webcharvels.jpg

I just screwed the guard in place with the neck off, and used a dremel on low to shave it to match the pocket. Worked the same on my friend's 1st batch Tangerine SoCal as well.

Those look great!

Back