Cornford Mk 50H questions

duesentrieb

Got a crapped (modded) Mk50H.
It is a black face with a couple of extra holes drilled into front and back and was a "modded to jazz amp cicuit". Now back to stock, if the schem is right. Sounds good so far ....

Question for the owners:

It is pretty dark sounding, right?
Presence and Treble need to be cranked to sound right, is that correct?

Thanks

Olaf

FWIW

I have a MK 50ii & I've never found it overly dark.
What are the preamp tubes in it?
If it has JJ's, Tungsols might help.

Speakers? They're designed around V30's.
I run mine with them occasionally but for the most part with M75 Scumbacks.

I do have the resonance quite low, about 9 o'clock.

Can't really think of much else since you said you've put the amp back to stock, so the values in the circuit should be correct.

Best of luck.

duesentrieb":3ri2aed8 said:
Got a crapped (modded) Mk50H.
It is a black face with a couple of extra holes drilled into front and back and was a "modded to jazz amp cicuit". Now back to stock, if the schem is right. Sounds good so far ....

Question for the owners:

It is pretty dark sounding, right?
Presence and Treble need to be cranked to sound right, is that correct?

Thanks

Olaf
Shoot me a pm w/email, and I'll send you the schematics.

I don't know what your ears are acclimated to, or what type of cabinet you're using, but you shouldn't need to crank the treble on an MK50. I run my treble as 10-20% and presence at 25-50% using a semi-open 2x12 Cornford cabinet. The Cornford cabs are made of pine, so they resonate quite a bit. Fabulous sounding cabinets when paired with a Vox AC30! Not so good with high-gain, as it tends to smear the bottom-end. I sealed mine using Acoust-X coating, so I get the best of both worlds.

Nice sounding amps! :rock:

Like the MK-50 II more than the MK-50. MK-50 a little better with violin sustain, and MK-50 II better at straight up rock crunch.

Yea the MK-50 is a little dark, but like True Tone 500 says, no need to crank treble or presence.

Gut it and do your magic Olaf, it's good iron! :rock:

With the stock JJ's in it it can be a bit dark but certainly not to the extend that you need to run treble and/or presence very high. I tend to run treble at 9-10 o'clock and presence at 2 o'clock with the mids at 11.30. That has a huge impact on the highs too !

I find using Sovtek 5881's biased at around 35 mA also helps in controlling the overly present low-mids.

The later white-face MK50's had some component changes. maybe this was also to help in this departement ?

Giga

Giga":2rphtsd4 said:
With the stock JJ's in it it can be a bit dark but certainly not to the extend that you need to run treble and/or presence very high. I tend to run treble at 9-10 o'clock and presence at 2 o'clock with the mids at 11.30. That has a huge impact on the highs too !

I find using Sovtek 5881's biased at around 35 mA also helps in controlling the overly present low-mids.

The later white-face MK50's had some component changes. maybe this was also to help in this departement ?

Giga
I had both amps at the same time, and the only differences I found, was a 43k vs 47k slope resistor which makes little difference at room volumes. If they ran out of 43k, they probably used a 47k (SLO value) resistor in its place. I've also seen 1.8k cathodes (SLO value also) instead of 1.5k. The MK50 and MKII use a .0047uf coupling vs .0022uf in the RK100. The higher value lends to increased top-end early in the preamp. Try a .0022uf, and see what you think? If you mess with the tone-stack, it's going to effect the entire EQ line.

The JJ long plate 12AX7 valves sound excellent in a Cornford. Try a 5751 in the PI.

Yeah, it is a pretty cool amp (played a MK II before and liked it a lot). Thats why I've bought this (cheap) . . .

With "cranked" I mean 2 o'clock treble and presence.

b/c I prefer the eq at noon, I've played around with some values here and there and now I like it (better).
I wasn't sure about the circuitry, but those few vids I've found on YT show similar settings as described above, so it seems to be correct.

Back