D-Moll first impressions Comparison Vs 5150 III

So I got to try out my D-Moll and I really love it.
No Drummer at practice, so only on its own and with Bass, Rhythm Guitar and Vocals.
Little bIt of drums when Singer/Rhythm Guitar jumped behind our drum set, yes we own out own drum set... We spoil our drummers...

It has sooooo much oomph. The clean is amazing and sounds very Fendery to me and can do some super Bluesy stuff with a Tube Screamer to boost it.
It takes pedals well. Using the same pedals into my 5150 III 50w, I could barely notice my Xotic EP Boost pedal, on the D-Moll it actually does something and I had to turn the knob down considerably.
Mine came with the DeKompression mod, but I like it best with that turned off. Guess I am a fan of the straight up Diezel sound.

Running a MXR Carbon Copy in the Serial Loop and that thing is just awesome with this amp and does not color the tone at all that I can hear. There is a very slight difference when engaging the loop, but I think it's mostly Cables because the pedal is true bypass and he tone does not change engaging dis-engaging the pedal.

I found that the mid-cut sounds great on its own, but can make you hard to hear in a mix, out front of the PA mic'd with a Sennheiser e906 on my V30 Center of the Cap up on the Grill was a killer FOH tone. I run a Diezel FRont Load with G12K100s and V30s in an X-Pattern (Awesome right in front of the amp). I used the Mid-Cut very little, I had 10 Patches setup.
1 Ch1 Clean, 2 Ch3 Master2 MidCut , 3 Ch3 Master2, 4 Ch2, 5 Ch2
6 Ch1 Clean MidCut, 7 Ch2 Master2 MidCut, 8 Ch2 Master2, 9 Ch3 MidCut, 10 Ch3
I like them best without mid-cut, but for certain songs I would engage the mid-cut version and that would work better. Gives more variety. My 5150 did not have 2 Masters or mid cut, so that was a 3 Channel amp. The D-Moll was like a 12 Channel amp cause you have 3 Channels, 3 Channels with Mid Cut, 3 Channels on Master 2, 3 Channels with MidCut on Master 2

I like the Cleans better on the D-Moll over my 5153. The 5153s were still pretty good.
CH2 I like a little better than my 5153. The Mid-Cut gives me more flexibility too.
CH3 is way better for solos vs my 5153 which is part of why I started the D-Moll search (also was considering a VH4)

I tried this first on a Mesa Recto 2x12 with V30s, and I must say that I would have sold the head if that was my Cab. The D-Moll sounds way better through a Diezel Cab in my Opinion. Gonna try the 5150 III 50w through my Recto 2x12 which will probably pair better since the 5150 has more "sizzle" to its voice, I think the Recto Cab will tame that.

My Rhythm Guitarists is still running an Axe2 and that was really sounding week next to my Rig on stage. FOH it was not so bad... But on stage it was lacking. I think I am glad I went back to real tube amps, it's right for me.

To conclude, I frickin love the D-Moll. It's a keeper and will be my Amp for some time.

IMG_20130906_200947_630.jpg

bafc3a2a23ecb130024d1462a293c951.jpg

Woah ! Dude I felt the same kind of things few days ago with my new D-moll.
I am happy for you, enjoy it.

One question:
How do you set the channel volume knob compared to the Master Volume, for channel 2 & 3 ?
Low channel volume but Master volume cranked, or other way around ?

SO AWESOME!!!! Congrats!

Gawd damn...you two guys here have given me major, extreme, can't sleep, can't think, GAS for this d-moll.

Dare you to make some clips!

Faxanadu":1hatsjj6 said:
Woah ! Dude I felt the same kind of things few days ago with my new D-moll.
I am happy for you, enjoy it.

One question:
How do you set the channel volume knob compared to the Master Volume, for channel 2 & 3 ?
Low channel volume but Master volume cranked, or other way around ?

I don't wonder why are you asking this :)

I own my D-moll for 8 month and on beginning I used to set low channel volume and hi Master volume. But I realised that the sound was very compressed and I was realy confused (I almost sold the amp).

But later I set higher channel volume (7-8) and low Master volume. I also turned down the deep knob and presence is on 5.
Now I have more dynamic and artuculating tone.
One should also be carefull with the mid-cut settings.

Thanks to share ondreee.
I also noticed this difference in the feel between low channel volume and high master, and vice-versa, but I could not explain it like you did.

You totally described what happens.
I have difficulties for the moment to set up Presence and Deep knob correctly. And mid-cut even more, when I have low channel volume and cranked master volume.
But I get a better sound easier when master volume is low and channel volume is cranked.

t-rex22":11rbcvsp said:
SO AWESOME!!!! Congrats!

Gawd damn...you two guys here have given me major, extreme, can't sleep, can't think, GAS for this d-moll.

Dare you to make some clips!

Get it !!!!!
Think later... :thumbsup:

Back