Damn this kid has awesome VH tone!!!!

messenger":2a3ipr9h said:
Kapo_Polenton":2a3ipr9h said:
BYTOR":2a3ipr9h said:
Kapo_Polenton":2a3ipr9h said:
Good for him for rocking an endorsement...hopefully he won't be stuck in his parent's basement forever though!

He's played live shows many times & has his own band now.....played with Dweezil Zappa a few times etc...he certainly doesn't just play in his parent's basement.

What I mean is.. hopefully he doesn't live in his parent's basement until he is 40 because being a musician in Canada isn't the easiest thing in the world to be unless you are Brian Adams.

Or Nickleback, Justin Bieber, Celine Dion, Neil Young, ...... ;).

Or Anvil.... hmmmm wait a minute :LOL: :LOL:

Great tone, and VH swing...just gifted as hell.

One of the first videos i remember of JD was posted on his Dad's YT account, if not mistaken...seems like it was Pierre (sp), not Jacob Deraps. He was playing some really "old-school" gear...for a 14 yo kid. I messaged the dad, speculating of course that dad was on old "rocker" from the 80's and his kid had picked it up and run with it. He responded with basically yes...he did the 80's RnR thing, and had brought Jacob up on that music...of course Jacob, according to pop, is WAY better than dad ever was.

I've seen some of his live videos, and the stand-in stuff he did with Dweezil. I've seen his covers linked on VHND, on the Facebook. All of it is really, really good...the kid is an incredible talent.

It'll be interesting to see where he takes his talent, and music, from here. As much as i love all the stuff he covers, i just don't know if the world wants a newer version of that music any longer. But maybe he's that ONE guy that turns rock-n-roll on its ear.

I don't know him or his parents personally, and all i know is my perception of what i see in a 3-4 minute video on YT...but based on that I'd give major cudos to his parents (mom and /or dad). They certainly appear to have nurtured his talent but not to a point throwing him to the world. He seems like a pretty normal kid...now about 20 (i guess). He's got some pretty heavy hitters as endorsers, he's making some contacts and meeting some people that def have connections in the business, he's matured a bit (i would imagine)...it'll be interesting.

Back in the day...in the 80's...a kid like that most likely would have a band, do some local clubs and such...maybe a small regional touring gig, then pack their stuff and head for the coast if they wanted to be a "rock star"?

psychodave":322su2j3 said:
Clip was cool and in the VH vain, but not really close. Just my .02. :)
Yeah, tone didn't do anything for me - not close.

Steve

You guys are hilarious .. "not close" ... is anything? I love the sound of all your amps but they are no closer to the VH tone than this kid and his germino. I mean is anything close?! Considering everyone is trying to nail the sound of a recorded marshall through a console with old school mic pre and who knows what eq applied to it at mix down.. is anyone " bang on " with their VH mod? I think the tone is fantastic and close enough as are all your other modded amps or original builds. I think we should stop saying " brown" and just go with " brown-ISH".

littleguitars":1yjh50z7 said:
Here's the same dude with the Germino and then the isolated track to Dance the Night Away. If you want to say there are subtle differences, well then yeah, I guess... but it sure as hell sounds more than ballpark to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFSvBchAdZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrgqYxX ... rgqYxXjpqk

Drench it in the same reverb as Ed and try not to be convinced!!!!!

The kid has Ed's feel down for sure, that's the main thing that's hard to nail. He gets all the little nuances too.

Doug Rappoport and Pete Thorn are two others that have Ed's feel down pretty good, they are few of them.

supersonic":31cfjg7v said:
Meh, why try to be someone else. Minimal respect, he should put all of that effort in sounding like himself.

Now now, be nice, the kid started like everyone here, trying to be like our heroes, he nailed that, be proud.

He's got his band and his thing going too.

Mucho respect from me man

:rock:

I get the "be yourself" argument....honestly though, and this is probably because I'm such an EVH fan...if a young group came out right now, sounded as good as any of the early VH records I'd buy the shat out of it.

Would I buy a group sounding as good as early Crue?....yep...GnR?, not likely. I get to the end of some of those old records and wish there was more. If the young guns can take the same tone and feel and swing, but write new songs. IMO, it's a win.

supersonic":r8zcq559 said:
Meh, why try to be someone else. Minimal respect, he should put all of that effort in sounding like himself.

I'd say there are a bunch of respected players (who are at least 25 years older than this kid) that have spent plenty of time studying and reproducing EVH licks and tone.

Doug Rappoport, Pete Thorn, Al Estrada etc. come to mind. I don't think spending time nailing some early EVH stuff precluded any of those guys from developing other styles of playing and creating their own niche outside of the Van Halen thing. Or maybe we should pay those guys minimal respect as well for having wasted their time.

littleguitars":3colza8w said:
supersonic":3colza8w said:

I'd say there are a bunch of respected players (who are at least 25 years older than this kid) that have spent plenty of time studying and reproducing EVH licks and tone.

Doug Rappoport, Pete Thorn, Al Estrada etc. come to mind. I don't think spending time nailing some early EVH stuff precluded any of those guys from developing other styles of playing and creating their own niche outside of the Van Halen thing. Or maybe we should pay those guys minimal respect as well for having wasted their time.
No harm in being influenced, Nuno for example has obvious EVH influence but has his own style. Even I am influenced by EVH but don't copy him. I'd love to see this guy playing his own stuff.

Whether this nails the tone or not; I can appreciate that this kid has managed to cop the attack that EVH has on the guitar, and that is a hard one to master. His right hand technique is where most of its at. There are droves of guys that try to nail the Eddie style, and the attack is a crucial part that is often missing. This kid has it. Hopefully he takes it to another place with his own music!

the kid is awesome, simple as that.

as any sort of VH reference 'tone', not so much (i say that as a germino owner, myself)....its just a different level of saturation and the gain just has more clarity to it than VH (i wonder how it would be through a variac)....id love to hear him through an Suhr SL68 on variac mode a la Pete's demo of that amp!

His older videos were played through a Marshall 5 and an old 80's 24fret Strat. He still nailed the tone and he has Ed's feel down... Pete Thorn touted this kid years ago... Been following his YT page since the beginning...

Kapo_Polenton":1df080at said:
You guys are hilarious .. "not close" ... is anything? I love the sound of all your amps but they are no closer to the VH tone than this kid and his germino. I mean is anything close?! Considering everyone is trying to nail the sound of a recorded marshall through a console with old school mic pre and who knows what eq applied to it at mix down.. is anyone " bang on " with their VH mod? I think the tone is fantastic and close enough as are all your other modded amps or original builds. I think we should stop saying " brown" and just go with " brown-ISH".
I dunno what to say. It didn't sound that close to me. I feel like the tones I've gotten have been way closer (neither of these clips has ANY of Ed's guitar on it, BTW. The backings are drums bass and vox:)

Jamie's Cryin' (snippet)
Romeo Delight (the full song)

and I've heard people who are WAY closer than me on the Metro Forum - just dead on to the recorded tones. It's just opinion anyway - this kid is a pretty good EVH player, but copying Ed is a dime a dozen endeavor these days. There are a few guys who are amazing at it who have come up with their own thing that is heavily influenced by EVH like Al Estrada, but those guys are few and far between.

Steve

sah5150":3hjrypj3 said:
this kid is a pretty good EVH player

Check out his YouTube page for all his covers......ain't no "pretty good EVH player" about this kid.....he simply nails the feel & attack of EVH as good as anyone out there & I've heard 'em all at this point. He's just a natural at playing killer rock guitar :rock:

BYTOR":2dtaxzjf said:
sah5150":2dtaxzjf said:
this kid is a pretty good EVH player

Check out his YouTube page for all his covers......ain't no "pretty good EVH player" about this kid.....he simply nails the feel & attack of EVH as good as anyone out there & I've heard 'em all at this point. He's just a natural at playing killer rock guitar :rock:
I've heard them and he's pretty damn good, but he does not have it down like folks like Al Estrada for example. IMHO, YMMV...

Steve

rcm78":2o1hl808 said:
His older videos were played through a Marshall 5 and an old 80's 24fret Strat. He still nailed the tone and he has Ed's feel down... Pete Thorn touted this kid years ago... Been following his YT page since the beginning...

This is the same kid? :rock:
I remember thinking how cool it was that he had that tone on that gear.

Back