Delay pedal choices

I use the Eventide H9 and also a Strymon DIG. I have trouble with the H9, there's so many controls with it, but have a couple settings that sound great that I like. The Strymon DIG is easy to set it and forget it, sounds great. I find I can spend 30 minutes trying things in the H9, think I have a decent sound and then I switch it off and turn on the DIG and it sounds better, just easy to dial in and a great delay.

I also use the Delay in the AxeFxIII sometimes and that's pretty easy and sounds great too, although outside the scope of this thread.

So, (remember go easy, this is coming from a challenged FX person),
I use a little bit of delay and I have two of the TRex replica pedals which I have always adored…
Another real advantage is that I can leave the unit on top of my amplifier and use an external one button foot switch to tap tempo.

But, Are these considered pretty much junk now with all the updated and more transparent stuff available?

Naw man, plenty of people are still using Boss DD-3's which were released WAY before the T-Rex stuff. If you're happy with the sound then you're all good

For a simple, good price point, first repeat is present but doesn’t get in the way Delay…I would say look at the Dunlop Echoplex. If you need tap tempo, they have a little external switch to pair with it.

I've been through all the usual delays, DD3's, EM-5 echmachines, EP3 echoplex, Hardwire DL8 and i finally jumped into the Boss DD-500 Version 2.0 and I can't find anything I don't like about it, the delay modeling is very good. The SDE3000 and echoplex patches are what I use the most and it delivers at a fair price point as well and easy to use and setup parameters.

The echoplex reminds me of my actual EP3 echoplex it's quite surprising. I know there are more expensive unit's out there and sound as good if not better but the quality of the software is as good as any rack gear IMHO.

Boss DD-200 - It's digital but it has analog dry through and no menus to deal with. It's great because it has a well designed tone control you can use to dial in very dark delays that don't interfere with the top end detail and it sits behind your guitar more like a good reverb than a traditional slappy delay sound. I have one and love it.

Suhr Discovery Analog Delay - One of the best Bucket Brigade delays around. Everything you'd want, nothing you don't. Naturally dark and textured but not enough to be distracting, more like "complimentary" to your sound. It's expensive but worth it.

Last edited:
currently belle epoch dlx in the loop of a rockett APE preamp->chase secret pre-> boss dd-500-> H9 on my board, dd-2 and flashback x4 on the bench, and just gave one friend a nux tape core to use as his "character echo" (so nerdy) and gave another friend a danecho i've had for a long while.

i'd still love to check out a polymoon and echolution 3....

I've been through all the usual delays, DD3's, EM-5 echmachines, EP3 echoplex, Hardwire DL8 and i finally jumped into the Boss DD-500 Version 2.0 and I can't find anything I don't like about it, the delay modeling is very good. The SDE3000 and echoplex patches are what I use the most and it delivers at a fair price point as well and easy to use and setup parameters.

The echoplex reminds me of my actual EP3 echoplex it's quite surprising. I know there are more expensive unit's out there and sound as good if not better but the quality of the software is as good as any rack gear IMHO.
the sde-3000 with modulation preset is killer and imo compared to a timeline, the dd-500 preserves the natural guitar tone/feel more accurately

Back