Diezel Amps with Deep turned off and Presence low -> like a new Amp!

valve

i own my Herbert for almost 2 centuries now and i can't believe i never tried this.
Seen Ola's VH4 Metal clip and saw the "odd" setting of Deep and Presence at 0! I gave it a try.

Since the Diezel recommendation is to start of with everything at noon, i think i never swept away with the Deep knob too far from noon, let alone 2 knobs:D (well that's not really true).
Well i dropped it down to 3 before, but if you leave the presence around noon, it really get's thin and brittle. I do alot of Bass/Deep exchange and Treble/Presence exchange, but never did the simultaneuos Deep and Presence change.
if you turn them down the same amount, you get similiar brightness and cut, but a different response from the Amp.

I think everything that bothers me with my Diezels from time to time (say 1 out of 10 sessions) can be removed this way.
That stuffy fatness i can't stand for low Gain can be dialed out, but in a differnt way than reducing Bass/Deep and/or increasing Treble/Presence i did normally.

If you sometimes think you Diezel sounds too fat/stuffy/muddy and just get's harsh/thin if you increase treble/presence or lower bass/Deep you should really try this.
It behaves more like a tradtional amp this way i think.

If you really want a chug that is almost like a Mesa Mark.... throw a Precision Drive or Centavo in front of it. I LOVE those pedals with both my VH4 and VHX. I lower the bass a lot as my room is boomy but I keep the deep at 12. I will try this trick next time I fire up my Vh4. Thanks!

i check them out. Can the Precision Drive be used as a clean boost/EQ?
I run my gain pretty low on channel 3, so there is not much room for a boost and Shape 0 is already pretty trimmed. I could use ch2 though.
I got a mark V sitting on top of my VHX collecting dust. i need an amp switcher or a rack with wheels for easier access to the backside, so switching amps isn't such a hassle.

with deep and Presence low the amp is less hifi and sounds more natural to my ears. Less smilie face EQ / more natural mids. Less bloated bass and low mids.
You can add more treble without sounding harsh, at least to my ears.
Really prefer this for Edge of Break up sounds to mild chrunch on Ch1 & 2. Haven't tried this with ch3 and high Gain yet.

That's great about the Presets. You can have multiple settings for each channel and don't have to twist knobs even for Deep and Presence, which on a normal Diezel where global for all channels.
And you can make a fair A/B comparison

I run my gain pretty low on channel 3, so there is not much room for a boost and Shape 0 is already pretty trimmed. I could use ch2 though.
I got a mark V sitting on top of my VHX collecting dust. i need an amp switcher or a rack with wheels for easier access to the backside, so switching amps isn't such a hassle.

with deep and Presence low the amp is less hifi and sounds more natural to my ears. Less smilie face EQ / more natural mids. Less bloated bass and low mids.
Really prefer this for Edge of Break up sounds to mild chrunch on Ch1 & 2. Haven't tried this with ch3 and high Gain yet.

That's great about the Presets. You can have multiple settings for each channel and don't have to twist knobs even for Deep and Presence, which on a normal Diezel where global for all channels.
Listen to the tone here at 5:30 when he pushes the front end of chan 2 with a boost. I'm not a big booster, but it sounds pretty amazing.

Listen to the tone here at 5:30 when he pushes the front end of chan 2 with a boost. I'm not a big booster, but it sounds pretty amazing.

That was a great video of his. He definitely got Ch2 sounding awesome. I don’t typically like boosted tones (SD-1 has this specific sound I’m not fond of) but that sounded good.

Well if you want a clean boost.... the VH4 loves the Warm Audio Centavo. It is so clean I leave it on for my channel 1-4 at all times as a clean boost. I was shocked how it made my clean channel 1 of the VH4 pop but not dirty it. I really want a crystal clean channel and I am not a fan of the VH4 clean. The VHX clean is god tier though.

But precision drive can be a clean boost but feels more of a "tightening" tool more than anything. I find it does color a little bit IMO but does really tighten up any low end and is really customizable.

I am playing my VHX right now but when I rotate back to the VH4 I'll try the zero deep and presence. just wanted Ola's video and it sounded amazing but then again... it is Ola. He can plug into a potato and make it sound amazing. :p

That was a great video of his. He definitely got Ch2 sounding awesome. I don’t typically like boosted tones (SD-1 has this specific sound I’m not fond of) but that sounded good.
I love Euge. He got me into the SD-1. I use it sometimes but like the Centavo and precision drive more.

I almost never use boosts either, but chan 2 sounds great here. Chan 2 on the VH4 is rarely talked about, and very underrated in my opinion.
Agreed. Euge used channel 2 with a boost as a straight up chug rhythm channel in that video.

I used to be anti-boost for a while... like "why spend so much money on an amp that I need to boost it to sound the best". I'd rather have the options to mess around with tones and use boosts to color or just add more gain with no color. I am too used to it by now lol

I love Euge. He got me into the SD-1. I use it sometimes but like the Centavo and precision drive more.

Agreed. Euge used channel 2 with a boost as a straight up chug rhythm channel in that video.

I used to be anti-boost for a while... like "why spend so much money on an amp that I need to boost it to sound the best". I'd rather have the options to mess around with tones and use boosts to color or just add more gain with no color. I am too used to it by now lol
I have the Aesahatter as well as a PG-14 and Behringer TS, so I’m not particularly anti-boost, but I do not think the Blue/Red channels on the VHX need it... Come to think of it, I haven’t used the PG-14 with the VHX, I wonder how the mid boostiness of that one will play with it. The drive and push controls on it get nasty real quick.

Well if you want a clean boost.... the VH4 loves the Warm Audio Centavo. It is so clean I leave it on for my channel 1-4 at all times as a clean boost. I was shocked how it made my clean channel 1 of the VH4 pop but not dirty it. I really want a crystal clean channel and I am not a fan of the VH4 clean. The VHX clean is god tier though.

But precision drive can be a clean boost but feels more of a "tightening" tool more than anything. I find it does color a little bit IMO but does really tighten up any low end and is really customizable.

I am playing my VHX right now but when I rotate back to the VH4 I'll try the zero deep and presence. just wanted Ola's video and it sounded amazing but then again... it is Ola. He can plug into a potato and make it sound amazing. :p
i don't really want to boost it for more gain, but a pure high pass might be indeed something i would use, to get rid of some of the lowest of lows.

I don't own a VH4 but the VHX (and a Herbert MK1). The deep presence thing will be the same of any of them, i guess.
I did it only on the VHX ch2 (yellow/turquoise) yet and was really stoked and i might not be the only idiot to not have tried this (for almost 2 centuries).

@MesaSean: Thanks for the link. Well with the EMGs and all that Gain and mids, it's a bit too nasty for me, but yes i think that channel 2 (yellow/turquoise) of the VHX is actually my favorite and the most used one so far. And i get's a bit too woofy with my 7-string for example, so a highpass/boost might indeed something to consider.

I have the Aesahatter as well as a PG-14 and Behringer TS, so I’m not particularly anti-boost, but I do not think the Blue/Red channels on the VHX need it... Come to think of it, I haven’t used the PG-14 with the VHX, I wonder how the mid boostiness of that one will play with it. The drive and push controls on it get nasty real quick.
I think my issue is my basement jam room. It is very boomy ever with tons of foam wedges etc. So with both the VH4 and VHX I need to tame the low end. I use a Diezel FR with G-12's and a Mesa traditional. Mesa is more oomf and Diezel FR cuts like glass

Sean, you need Bass Traps in the corners to defeat the Bass in the room.
There are tons of videos on how to build them, or you can buy them on Amazon, etc...

There so many tones in these amps . You can play any type of music on these amps . I have a vh4 , a 2009 Herbert mk 1 and a Herbert my 3 . I get great ACDC tones out of them even

Nah, way too much gain for a convincing Angus type sound. That‘s a very shallow interpretation.

I had a real freaky phase where I really got obsessed with their sound.
Even got an old metropolus Marshall kit for that stuff.
It‘s much cleaner than most think.
Even for solos that setting is too high.
Depending on the album try channel 1 with the gain very high or channel 2 with the gain from 9:00 to 10:00 o‘clock and raise the master.
Especially for this slicing rhythm work you do want the deep very low!
That fatness you get with the diezels with deep around noon always threw me off for something like ac/dc.
The feel is just off. It‘s kind of muddy and shrill at the same time with deep and presence at noon (plain strings sting, low strings boom).
It‘s Marshalls with cutting highs and mids.
You have to get rid of all of the diezel trademark sound

Last edited:
I did NOT like turning deep and presence down all the way whatsoever in the room. However, it did reset my ears for how I had the presence set before, so I guess that's a plus.

Back