Diezel Big Max vs Hagen

merkaba

I currently have a Diezel Big Max and have found a decent deal on a Hagen.

The reviews of the Hagen seems to bill it as a more vintage voiced VH4. Is the driven sounds in the Hagen similar to the Big Max or a different thing entirely?

I really dig the clean and dirty tones on the Big Max although I’m wondering if it’s worth upgrading to the Hagen with the extra channels and features (and cost).

Any opinions are appreciated!

I would not agree that the Hagen has a more vintage voice than the VH4. I did an overly long and detailed comparison about a 10 months ago. If you search, it will be easy to find. I think the Hagen has a more familiar and "traditional" feel and response...But it is a not (in my opinion) at all vintage voiced.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I checked out your review. Thank you.

I saw a couple of users saying the Hagen was more raw and saggy than the VH4 and mistook that for more vintage sounding.

I’ve tried a VH4 and Einstein and preferred the Einstein overall but nothing compares to the 3rd channel on the VH4.

I briefly had a VH2 but it had issues and had to be sent back so didn’t get much time with it.

Not sure about the Hagen but will do some more research I think.

Thanks for the reply. I checked out your review. Thank you.

I saw a couple of users saying the Hagen was more raw and saggy than the VH4 and mistook that for more vintage sounding.

I’ve tried a VH4 and Einstein and preferred the Einstein overall but nothing compares to the 3rd channel on the VH4.

I briefly had a VH2 but it had issues and had to be sent back so didn’t get much time with it.

Not sure about the Hagen but will do some more research I think.
The Hagen is not as stiff, or immediate as the VH4, definitely a looser overall vibe happening. But in my opinion, chan 1 and 2 of the VH4 can be dialed in to sound more "vintage" in character than any chan on the Hagen. In regards to sounding "raw", i feel that the Hagen actually sounds a bit more filtered and "produced" than the VH4. I really liked the Hagen, but could not justify keeping both. The more I played them, the more I found that the VH4 was the winner for me.

Thanks again for your input angelspade. I’ve checked a bunch of videos and can hear exactly what you’re describing. The Hagen definitely sounds more ‘produced’. I’m thinking the shift in the mids and the added top end sizzle vs the VH4 is a big part in that.

There’s some contradictory info out there but your description is definitely consistent with what I’m hearing in the clips.

I’m thinking the Hagen might be a good alternative/companion to the Big Max. I’m working out if I can justify having both now!

Thanks again for your input angelspade. I’ve checked a bunch of videos and can hear exactly what you’re describing. The Hagen definitely sounds more ‘produced’. I’m thinking the shift in the mids and the added top end sizzle vs the VH4 is a big part in that.

There’s some contradictory info out there but your description is definitely consistent with what I’m hearing in the clips.

I’m thinking the Hagen might be a good alternative/companion to the Big Max. I’m working out if I can justify having both now!
Right on brother, happy to help anyway I can.

For me, it took some time to get really into Hagen. But I found my tone here. Can't compare it to Max, but had a Einstein, Fokker and all Diezel Pedals. Einstein is still great, but Hagen is the winner for me. Especially Ch 1 & 2 are great. I find my "vintage" heaven in Ch1 with Gain fully up and tone controls quite high.

For me, it took some time to get really into Hagen. But I found my tone here. Can't compare it to Max, but had a Einstein, Fokker and all Diezel Pedals. Einstein is still great, but Hagen is the winner for me. Especially Ch 1 & 2 are great. I find my "vintage" heaven in Ch1 with Gain fully up and tone controls quite high.
I love *every* channel... SO versatile. And that 4th channel - can be anything from amazing overtone rich leads down to crushing palm-muted chugginz

Ya, I love my Hagen. And VH4. And D-Moll.

I went for the Hagen and I am really glad I did! Every channel had its own flavour with a little bit of overlap but each one is incredibly versatile.

So far channels 2 and 3 are getting the most use.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. If I’d gone by the comments on other forums I’d have passed on it but thankfully you guys know Diezel’s better than anywhere else.

It’s the Diezel I’ve been waiting for all along. Thanks guys!

I went for the Hagen and I am really glad I did! Every channel had its own flavour with a little bit of overlap but each one is incredibly versatile.

So far channels 2 and 3 are getting the most use.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. If I’d gone by the comments on other forums I’d have passed on it but thankfully you guys know Diezel’s better than anywhere else.

It’s the Diezel I’ve been waiting for all along. Thanks guys!
Happy you love that Hagen...It's an amazing amp for sure.

Back