Diezel Herbert and VH4-2 pedals live questions

Hohoagogo

Good day everyone. New to this forum, not to Diezel products though. So, I have been acquiring toys during the Corona situation, and have decided like a lot of people I am tired of lugging Amps. When we are allowed to actually start back playing out (it's still lockdown where I am at), my plan is to run the VH4-2 pedal for my rhythm channel, and the Herbert pedal as my lead channel. Haven't decided which delay or chorus pedal I am going to use live yet, BUT here is why I am posting? I am planning on routing my signal to the CAB M pedal and then straight into the Touchmix. Cab sims have come a long ways from the old ADA units from back in the 90's (yeah I am old lol), and I know it's not going to sound exactly like a full Diezel amp (it does sound pretty damn great now though), but for those of you out there that's dropped your main amp and going direct in, any considerations I should consider? I am not totally opposed to an actual tube power amp and 2x12 cab, but if I do that, I might as well just gig with an amp and cabinet. One last thing, both these pedals sound great, and their eq's are spot on (it's eerie it's so amp like), but I have often wondered why Diezel didn't add in some 12x7's? Not like a starved plate design, but dedicated valves to the gain stages and channels? Maybe a 24 volt powersource to keep them hot? I appreciate any guidance you guys can offer and look forward to checking out this forum!!

Thanks

Johnny Starr

Hohoagogo":19snn92x said:
One last thing, both these pedals sound great, and their eq's are spot on (it's eerie it's so amp like), but I have often wondered why Diezel didn't add in some 12x7's? Not like a starved plate design, but dedicated valves to the gain stages and channels? Maybe a 24 volt powersource to keep them hot? I appreciate any guidance you guys can offer and look forward to checking out this forum!!
Couldn't tell you truly, but if it gets too big and high-voltage tubes to "be proper" and all I'm guessing the price skyrockets, shipping/tax goes up with it, it's too big/awkward to fit/be easily powered on most peoples standard pedal board, and if it then ends up basically being the whole tube preamp (and most people need an amp for it anyway), you may as well buy the amp! I guess that's why a lot of amp-in-a-box pedals don't tend to be the full tube preamp. Else you may as well make it a rack module, and/or get the Diezel VH4 synergy module instead.

Don't know the answers to the other questions. I now often record direct for a lot of everyday stuff, but that's a whole Diezel amp into a Fryette power station + cabinet IRs.

If you want to keep it small, but still tubes, KSR are about to ship their first run of PA25 and PA50 which are portable power amps.

When playing live, nowadays, I use the KSR Ceres preamp accompanied with the Line6 HX Stomp (for effects and IRs). Have to say, it’s so easy and sounds amazing. Having my entire live rig in a bag over my shoulder is the best thing ever, I could ride a bike to the venue without a problem, didn’t see that as a possibility just a couple of years back.

Since I’ve been so happy with this solution for live gigs, I’m getting more preamps. The Herbert is up next, probably a Friedman after that :)

Back