Diezel VH2 vs VH4

Pierre

Ok ...i own a VH2 but always wonder what differences really are between the two monsters ...it's like nobody has never compared A to B these two amps ???

Not at the same time, but I've had an older VH4 (2005 I think) and a VH2. 6L6s in the VH4 and KT77s in the VH2. From my experience:

- The VH4 had more punch/thump than the VH2. Not to say the VH2 was lacking in any way, but there was enough of a difference that I could feel it while playing.
-Channel 1 on the VH2 is really damn good as you already know. The VH4 channels 1 and 2 weren't bad but not VH2-level good, even with the bright switch.
-Channel 2 on the VH2 did hit have quite a bit of gain fairly quickly, never really ran it past noon. It did get somewhat close to the VH4 Channel 3/4 but again not exactly the same and it was more of its own thing.
-Tried running the VH4-2 pedal into the VH2 for fun and sounded cool but obviously not the same as a VH4, and not close enough to use as a true substitute unfortunately.
-I don't like KT77s/KT88s (except for cleans) so that could've had some influence in my experience with the VH2. I never checked what preamp tubes came with the VH4, and the VH2 was stock.

There's been some changes to the VH4 over the years, supposedly newer ones are a bit more open and less compressed than the older ones. I currently have a newer Hagen and have been enjoying it with the EL34s it came with. Would've liked to have tried both the VH4 and VH2 with EL34s. I'll continue hunting for another older VH4, or maybe even a newer one. I don't miss the VH2 that much with the Hagen covering the VH2's Channel 1.

The VH2 was nice and I don't regret trying it out, but in the end it's not a VH4. Both are great amps, and expect them to stand on their own in different ways.

I have the same feeling about the VH2 ( mine has KT77 ) .....channel 1 really pleasant ....from clean to crunch , very open sounding..... add an overdrive and it can cover a lot of tones ; but what bothered me is the second channel : supposed to be channel 3 of the VH4 and as you mentionned above , i never past it after noon too .....may be changing the V1 preamp tube with a 7025 or even a 5751 to reduce the gain ????

And that sizzle , fizzle sound ( i have a 2x12 diezel cab with v30 ) ....always cleaning up the guitar volume !!!

It's like the VH4 seems noy have that fizzle or may be i'm wrong ? bad ears ??

So don't get me wrong ....really a good amp , but i think i'll have to order a VH4 to compare before selling the VH2 ( and trying different preamp tubes with the VH2 ) ....my other question i want a 4x12 cab but always wonder about G12K100 ....some advises ???

I have the same feeling about the VH2 ( mine has KT77 ) .....channel 1 really pleasant ....from clean to crunch , very open sounding..... add an overdrive and it can cover a lot of tones ; but what bothered me is the second channel : supposed to be channel 3 of the VH4 and as you mentionned above , i never past it after noon too .....may be changing the V1 preamp tube with a 7025 or even a 5751 to reduce the gain ????
I've read about trying a 5751 in v1 but never had the chance to try it myself, although I had considered it. Could definitely be on option.
And that sizzle , fizzle sound ( i have a 2x12 diezel cab with v30 ) ....always cleaning up the guitar volume !!!

It's like the VH4 seems noy have that fizzle or may be i'm wrong ? bad ears ??
Yea my guess is it's the v30s. I tried a few different 4x12 cabs and speaker combos for my Diezels and always ended up liking greenbacks on top/v30s on bottom best with whatever cab I used, but I also do like using all v30s. Could also use some EQ and preamp/poweramp volume adjusting.

So don't get me wrong ....really a good amp , but i think i'll have to order a VH4 to compare before selling the VH2 ( and trying different preamp tubes with the VH2 ) ....my other question i want a 4x12 cab but always wonder about G12K100 ....some advises ???
Unfortunately I've only tried them as a top pair in an older Mesa half-back 4x12, hard to really give an opinion. There's also the rear-loaded vs front-loaded debate. Found some links that have info for the g12k100:

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/speaker-battle-v30-vs-g12k-100.24795/

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/k100s-vs-v30s.118178/

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/v30s-vs-k100s.182932/

That's it.....i think i'm gonna explore all the VH2 possibilities ( with different preamp tube ) and gonna order a VH4 to compare ....but my feeling is you gonna end up with the VH4 .....last question will be ( i have a 2x12 with v30 ).......v30 but in a 4x12 or a v30 in rear loaded oir a G12K100 .......no ideas so ......
yet searching for the perfect sounding match !

I can only put it to you this way.

I have a VH4 and have *zero* desire for a VH2.

If I had a VH2, I *know* I'd want a VH4.

That's it that's all. YMMV.
I have both . I must say channel 2 of vh2 is my fav channel out of all 6 . Both amps are great of course but the vh2 channel 2 has definitely won me over most

G
That's it.....i think i'm gonna explore all the VH2 possibilities ( with different preamp tube ) and gonna order a VH4 to compare ....but my feeling is you gonna end up with the VH4 .....last question will be ( i have a 2x12 with v30 ).......v30 but in a 4x12 or a v30 in rear loaded oir a G12K100 .......no ideas so ......
Get the K100s while you can if you’re curious, they are discontinued. Redbacks might be a good alternative.

If you already have a 2x12 with V30s, just get a 2x12 with G12k100s, and put the 100s cab on top of the V30s cab.
I use that exact combination with both my VH4 and my VHX.
Perfect speaker mix for Diezels to my ears.

I bought a 440 Live Cabinet off their store on Reverb.
Excellent 2x12 cab, for way less than other "name" cabs (only $530)
It pairs perfectly with my Mesa 2x12.

I'm using a Mesa 4x12 Traditional (rear-loaded 8-ohm v30s) with my VH2. I have to crank the treble and presence pretty high for channel 2, otherwise it is a little too smooth for my taste. I imagine this would be less of an "issue" with a front-loaded cabinet.

VH2 is a great Amp but its not a VH4. The VH2 has a tonal quality that is somwhat similar to a VH4 but than again it has its own character. I had both but sold the VH2.

Oh, I was under the impression the VH2 was purposely made as a more affordable VH4 with channels of 1 and 3 of the VH4. I didn't know it might be its own beast, sounds like it's close but not the same. Then other posts are people saying channel 2 of VH2 is the best gain channel and they sold their VH4, wow that's hard to believe.

Oh, I was under the impression the VH2 was purposely made as a more affordable VH4 with channels of 1 and 3 of the VH4. I didn't know it might be its own beast, sounds like it's close but not the same. Then other posts are people saying channel 2 of VH2 is the best gain channel and they sold their VH4, wow that's hard to believe.
I have heard from a few that owned both that the VH2 channel 2 is very similar to channel 3 on the VH4...But slightly different. Some actually prefer it.

Back