Difference between MTL 1 & MTL 2?

Metalhead

I have owned the MC1 one before and was thinking I wanted to get the MC2, but from my understanding the MTL will go into hire game territory which is what I like. So now my question is what are the differences between the first and second versions of the MTL? Would appreciate any help :)

Hey,

I am a MTL Mk 1 owner, and have not tried or owned a Mk 2, but I can tell you the Mk 1 is killer, period.

The MK 2 as far as I am aware, has more "Bells and whistles": Addition of sweep knob, which is almost like the contour knob taking it from low to high mid freq, additional gain stage on ch 1.

Rick also has the MC / MTL hybrid, preamp section of MTL for massive gain while retaining the MC power section for upper mid destruction.

Not sure what else there is, but you cannot go wrong with any Wizard, seriously.

@mhenson42 This is an interesting question. I would love to hear the answer.

I already messaged the OP the other day in response to his PM. This was my reply

I have 6 Wizards at the moment. '16 MTL, '19 MTL KT150, '21 MTL mk2 6L, '21 MTL/MC2 Hybrid, '21 W800 KT150 and a '21 MC2 mk2 KT150.

I've also owned a '20 MTL mk2 el34, '15 MC2, '18 MC2 KT150 and a '20 W800 el34

So I've had a bunch.

I sold my first mk2 MTL after about a year. I preferred the voicing on the '16 a little more. That amp has more of a scooped nature to the mids giving it a more "metal" sound when the amps were set the same. The mk2 was still a killer amp, it was just more forward in the low mids. My KT150 MTL is more like that. The mk2 adds the mid-sweep which is useful in giving it a little more grind in the mids. You can get there with the presence/treble/bright knobs as well. It's really just more tone shaping ability. In the end, I found I really didn't mess with the sweep...kind of a set and forget...so I was happy with my other mk1 MTLs. A guy asked if I was willing to sell my mk2... while I didn't have plans to sell, it wasn't a hard decision.

Rick makes minor tweaks from year to year, but they all have the same basic flavor. I think you'd be happy with either, but you'd save some $ going for an older mk1.

I personally find that I like the KT88 model Wizards the best compared to the el34/6L6 versions.

I will say that my new KT150 MC2 mk2 is night and day better than the old '18 mk1 MC2 KT150 I had.

I already messaged the OP the other day in response to his PM. This was my reply

I have 6 Wizards at the moment. '16 MTL, '19 MTL KT150, '21 MTL mk2 6L, '21 MTL/MC2 Hybrid, '21 W800 KT150 and a '21 MC2 mk2 KT150.

I've also owned a '20 MTL mk2 el34, '15 MC2, '18 MC2 KT150 and a '20 W800 el34

So I've had a bunch.

I sold my first mk2 MTL after about a year. I preferred the voicing on the '16 a little more. That amp has more of a scooped nature to the mids giving it a more "metal" sound when the amps were set the same. The mk2 was still a killer amp, it was just more forward in the low mids. My KT150 MTL is more like that. The mk2 adds the mid-sweep which is useful in giving it a little more grind in the mids. You can get there with the presence/treble/bright knobs as well. It's really just more tone shaping ability. In the end, I found I really didn't mess with the sweep...kind of a set and forget...so I was happy with my other mk1 MTLs. A guy asked if I was willing to sell my mk2... while I didn't have plans to sell, it wasn't a hard decision.

Rick makes minor tweaks from year to year, but they all have the same basic flavor. I think you'd be happy with either, but you'd save some $ going for an older mk1.

I personally find that I like the KT88 model Wizards the best compared to the el34/6L6 versions.

I will say that my new KT150 MC2 mk2 is night and day better than the old '18 mk1 MC2 KT150 I had.
Wow. I have a ‘19 MCII KT150, and I feel that’s it’s night and day better than my old ‘16 100 watt MCII. In what ways would you say the ‘18 and ‘21 are different?

Wow. I have a ‘19 MCII KT150, and I feel that’s it’s night and day better than my old ‘16 100 watt MCII. In what ways would you say the ‘18 and ‘21 are different?

At the time I also had a ‘15 MC2 El34 and in comparison the KT150 was very flat. Didn’t have the upper mid grind/aggression of my El34… though the bottom end was bigger and tighter.

This new one has the grind and aggression the older was missing and then some.

At the time I also had a ‘15 MC2 El34 and in comparison the KT150 was very flat. Didn’t have the upper mid grind/aggression of my El34… though the bottom end was bigger and tighter.

This new one has the grind and aggression the older was missing and then some.
Ok cool. This one is as nasty as I would ever need. It’s voicing is actually less sinister than my ‘16 MCII 100 was. This one works better for me. Now I just need a 412…

Back