DiMarzio vs George L's vs Bullet Cable - my thoughts

Mauler

Since I finshed making my pedalboard I was wondering where to use the cables I have in my setup. So I decided to do a quick test and see how each affected the sound of what came through the amp and also to find out what you guys thought of each of these cables. I don't see many people on here who use the mid-range cables and thought it would be a good reference to record what I personally heard in these cables. I will probably go either Evidence or Mogami in the future however for now these seem to do the job for me. I have ranked them in my order of preference and have written what I thought about the cable.

I have 2 of the Bullet Cable Sparkplug instrument cables that are possibly my favorite cables of the bunch. The sound of these cables just seemed to make my guitar seem more alive to my ears and it even made my guitar seem as though there was more gain available, I am guessing more due to the frequencys which this cable highlights. The other thing I like about these cables is that they don't have a tendency to roll up due to the covering, which is a big positive compared to the other cables I am using. The first one of these cables I have now had for a good 18 months, and it is still going strong. I picked up the 2nd one after I have 2 of the CoreX2 cables go bad on me after 2 months and 2 weeks respectively. I liked the sound of the CoreX2 cables, just wouldn't recommend them for their unreliability I experienced. I decided to use the Bullet cables as my Effect loop In/out cables.

The Dimarzio braided cable is inbetween the other 2 cables I am comparing. I liked the braided cable as it is very durable and has lasted me a fair while and it is probably the most used of all my cables. The sound of this cable is very crisp, and it gives an accurate translation of what you are playing, however I didn't like it as much as the Bullet cable when playing pinch harmonics on the lower strings, as they didn't seem to be as clear as the BC. This cable after around 10 months of use still keeps a little of its packaged memory and has a tendency to coil up as you walk around while playing. I have to say though these cables are good and I would recommend them. I decided to use this cable from my guitar to the wah on my pedalboard.

The George L .225 cable is the most recent cable I picked up from the local music store. This cable seems best suited to clean playing, and sounds very neutral tone-wise compared to the other cables I am using. It seemed as though this cable sounded very cold to my ears, and didn't appear to have as much of a tonal effect as the other 2 cables. As it is only new I can't be too harsh on this cable, and will break it in by using it as the cable I run between my wah and amp. I think this cable will be hard to get out of its rolled shape, mainly due to cable thickness being the thinnest of the bunch. Time will tell me if I have reliability issues with this cable, as even though the connectors seem to be quality, I think the actual cable itself could run into issues due to the tendency to hold the rolled shape.

So that is my brief comparison of what I thought these cables sound like, and what I like/dislike most about them. I was running them directly into my Mark V from my JS1000 (Fred/PAF Pro pups) for comparison purposes. I would be interested to hear what other people think of these cables, and whether it is really worth jumping in to the deep end with Evidence/Mogami in future.

Back