Distortion Pedal Poll

ashesofphoenix

Im playing heavy stuff, tuned down to B Standard, taking a poll on distortion pedals. What do you like, what do you use, what is gonna sound good playing in B? Currently using a Metal-Zone for the majority of stuff, its not bad but it sounds generic to me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :rock:

With that Carvin X100B, you are going to want to be boosting it rather than using a distortion pedal. You want it to stay tight due to the B tuning....

Get something like a Boss SD-1, leave the level up, and the gain to taste.

You should give this mod a shot on your Metal Zone. I've heard they sound great after the mod.
Boss-MT-2-MT2-Metal-Zone-Hi-Fi-Diezel-Mod-Kit-/170534709213?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27b4a927dd">https://cgi.ebay.com/Boss-MT-2-MT2-Metal ... 27b4a927dd</a>

Get a Tone Freak Naked OD. That will tighten things up nice. I have my Original Carvin X100B from 88. I have used the Naked on it and it was the shit. Monday, I just had the filter caps replaced and the amp is now more responsive and tighter. Maybe you should look into a cap job if yours is close to 20 years old.

MARK1970":2qsj3xy8 said:
Get a Tone Freak Naked OD. That will tighten things up nice. I have my Original Carvin X100B from 88. I have used the Naked on it and it was the shit. Monday, I just had the filter caps replaced and the amp is now more responsive and tighter. Maybe you should look into a cap job if yours is close to 20 years old.
My oh my do I love your avatar!!!! :shocked: :inlove: :jerkit: :jedi: :jedi: \:D/ :clap: :worship:

my two favorite distortion pedals:

radial london bones (solid state) for the marshall type of vibe

for all out fun - MT-2 Keeley Modified.

ran a boss MT-2 into the front end of a vintage fender combo for shits and giggles once and the tone was actually pretty fucking ripping :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

My favorite OD of all time (and I'm very serious) is the Ibanez ts5 sound tank. It is built like crap but sounds awesome. I often pull it out when people get to holy with their expensive boutique ODs. I paid $8 on ebay for them. I have a few just because they are so flimsy. Some day I will put one in a metal box and call it my own creation and everyone will want to buy my magic one of a kind OD.

My fave is the EH Metal Muff (larger one with the second boost switch). I assume you are going to use it as a stand alone distortion, not as a boost to the front of an already dirty tube amp. I tried the Barber Dirty Bomb, but sold it because I like the MM better for lower volume applications (i.e. practice at home). I also had the Metal Zone but after a/b'ing it, still liked the MM.

nevusofota":10g26dce said:
My fave is the EH Metal Muff (larger one with the second boost switch). I assume you are going to use it as a stand alone distortion, not as a boost to the front of an already dirty tube amp. I tried the Barber Dirty Bomb, but sold it because I like the MM better for lower volume applications (i.e. practice at home). I also had the Metal Zone but after a/b'ing it, still liked the MM.

+1 on the MM with top boost. i've run mine into my x 60 with a marshall 1960 a cab with 75's. if you want it thick use the high gain (+6 db) input. if you want to tighten it up a bit use the low gain input. i can't imagine needing a pedal that's got more shades of distortion than the MM. :thumbsup:

MARK1970":2a233d9y said:

mine is older than that, it pre-carpet era lol

Back