Distortion Pedal

stephen sawall

I pretty much rarely use overdrive or boost pedals. I use a noise gate when I do.

Lately I have started to use distortion pedals with some rigs.
I have come to really liking the Fulltone OCD pedal. I also like the RAT.

Curious what distortion pedals you use and how you use it ?

I’ve been sold to DOD YJM308 and Fender Malmsteen overdrive after buying a Malmsteen Stratocaster. These are used with Marshall JVM1H or 1987X. Other favorites are Klon KTR, AnalogMan Prince of Tone, Fulltone OCD and Xotic BB preamp. I use the Malmsteen signature ODs into a very mildly overdiven Marshall.

currently zero for me. OD's only. My last was a riot reloaded and I did not dig it. The only thing I'm interested in is chainsaw so an hm2 clone from Wayne eventually.

I built a Thermionic Deluxe, which is a Friedman BE-OD Deluxe clone, with a slight mod for thicker mids. I use this pedal now more than the drive channel of my Engl Savage 60 (MKI), which is saying a lot!

I got a shit ton of distortion pedals and I sold even more; the ones that actually kinda sound like an amp are few and far in between...
Blackstar HT Dual, AMT SS30, Bogner Ecstacy Red, Boss SD-2 (when heavily modded!!!), H&K Tubefactor...those were useful.

Then there is stuff like the DiMarzio Very Metal... :ROFLMAO:

I took my THD Decco 36 to band practice yesterday. It's designed to be a pedal platform amp. Not the way I usually do things. So diving into the hard clip side of things.
I am definitely not running the amp clean. It's fairly distorted. Single tone and volume pot on the amp. No gain control. Overdrive comes on almost immediately. There is clip before 9 o'clock on the volume.

I don't have a clean pedal platform rig at the moment but my go to pedals are the SLO pedal and the AMT S1 preamp pedal

I’ve been sold to DOD YJM308 and Fender Malmsteen overdrive after buying a Malmsteen Stratocaster. These are used with Marshall JVM1H or 1987X. Other favorites are Klon KTR, AnalogMan Prince of Tone, Fulltone OCD and Xotic BB preamp. I use the Malmsteen signature ODs into a very mildly overdiven Marshall.
This!!! In fact, I like the DOD YJM308 better than the new 2023 Dod 250 reissue.

I have been putting a small board together to use with this BF Fender Princeton Reverb for band practice. So far I have tried a Rat, 1981 Drv which also is a Rat and a Digitech Distortion Factory. Best results so far is using a Boss Blues Driver set like a crunch tone and then boosting it with something else like a Ts5/9 or sd1. Wish I still had a Guvnor around to try.

Wampler Triple Wreck into my clean Bassman sounds good. BE OD Deluxe. I like the Riot too. Another one I like is the Revv G4. Didn’t mesh with the G3.

SD-1 and ts808, two different tastes of something that simply just works.

SD-1 even allows Pete Thorn to get a decent tone for once.

I’ve lately been using a JHS series 3 Distortion and dig it. It definitely behaves like a Rat, which I think Josh may be obsessed with as a pedal..lol. I primarily use it as a boost with the distortion barely on (comes on strong and fast) to get a gnarly harmonic heavy sound. The filter knob (like a Rat) is effective in tailoring the hair and brightness.

I have not had a distortion pedal in a long time. Lot's of different OD's for boosting though. The last distortion pedal that I had was the 5150. Yes it is labeled as an overdrive but if you have played one, it's a distortion pedal. Sounded really good too. The noise gate in the pedal was great as well.

I have not had a distortion pedal in a long time. Lot's of different OD's for boosting though. The last distortion pedal that I had was the 5150. Yes it is labeled as an overdrive but if you have played one, it's a distortion pedal. Sounded really good too. The noise gate in the pedal was great as well.
The 5150 is a great choice .... Wampler Triple Wreck .... I've never tried any of the AMP Tweaker stuff .... but those are suppose to be really good ...
Keeley's Filaments is a monster too ...

I have about a billion of them

My current faves are the AMT R/S Lead, Pigtronix Aria and Sobbat Drivebreaker 1.

All three are pretty wildly different

I also have the Amptweaker TightMetal S/T which is also quite good, if maybe a bit generic sounding

Back