Distortion Pedal

I forgot about these; I did have an HT-Metal at one point that I thought was fantastic (though very noisy)

Guess someone else thought it was fantastic too because it was stolen :aww:
Yeah, the bulky size and the weird power requirements (high mA + 18V or 24V) kept it off my board...but it sure was fun going directly into my Roland JC120 Head in a 2x12 or 4x12. Massive tone.

I'm using a Griff-built copy of a BE OD. Works amazeballs into either of my 72 Marshalls. The vol knob on the pedal acts like a Master vol too, which is a nice bonus.

Ibanez smashbox, nano muff, caline Englishman are a couple cool ones
That Englishman is one of the best budget pedals you can buy. It even sounded better than the Bogner La Grange I had, which is not a bad pedal.

Marshall Shredmaster, DOD Grunge, OCD germanium are a few fun ones I like to mess around occasionally. I just bought an STL Revenant that actually sounds really good. Very rare pedal though.

The smashbox is a hidden gem, especially with the right amps - I really like it with fender style amps because of the big midrange

yeah i use it and my other distortion pedals with my ampeg v50h which is just a single channel el34 nmv plexi type thing i set to clean, i could honestly happily use that as my main rig. i dont know what they go for now but i think i paid $40 for the thing, pedals like that are cool to have around just as a cheap "something different" thing

That Englishman is one of the best budget pedals you can buy. It even sounded better than the Bogner La Grange I had, which is not a bad pedal.

Marshall Shredmaster, DOD Grunge, OCD germanium are a few fun ones I like to mess around occasionally. I just bought an STL Revenant that actually sounds really good. Very rare pedal though.

i got a bunch of caline pedals, all of them are cool. i have a bunch of DOD's too but i dont have the grunge, thats one i need to get

yeah i use it and my other distortion pedals with my ampeg v50h which is just a single channel el34 nmv plexi type thing i set to clean, i could honestly happily use that as my main rig. i dont know what they go for now but i think i paid $40 for the thing, pedals like that are cool to have around just as a cheap "something different" thing

Dude I totally agree

Unfortunately now that we've talked about it on the internet they're going to be a million dollars or something

I used it with a cranked TopHat club deluxe for an entire tour back in my emo days, it was really nice for a sustainy lead tone on the cheap

This!!! In fact, I like the DOD YJM308 better than the new 2023 Dod 250 reissue.

DOD YJM308 was fantastic..mine got a tweak from a guy on Metro but it's amazing. So natural and sits so well over the amp. With a strat, that's the tone. Doesn't matter if you have fury pickups or not. All to say, the staples are a staple for a reason:

-DOD 250 / Yellow or Grey Circuit
-RAT / MXR Disto / DS-1
-SD1
-TS and it's variants
-Guvnor' / Blues Breaker circuit
-EQ pedal
-FUZZ
-Treble Booster
- Clean Boost ( Micro Amp - Echoplex Boost circuit etc)

You can buy boutique or tweak a circuit a million ways but you are usually going to come back to a variant of the pedals listed above. Sometimes it's the amp, other times the speaker, or even the guitar. You will reach for whatever works.

Best I’ve come across, Wampler Gear Box
1715704996208.png

The best one I remember having was the Blackout Effectors Mantra Drive. It was a smooth AIOB pedal that was like a stand alone dirt channel. Wish that company was still around.

I have lots of OD and Distortion pedals. Current favorites:

- Sherlock V3...dual channel, tube based pedal from Australia. Blue channel is kinda Plexi like. Red channel is high gain Dual Rec style gain. Excellent pedal into a clean platform. I use this in front of a Rivera S-120 and TBR-1SL.

- Proanalog Dual Drive...dual channel. Blurs the lines between overdrive and distortion. Sounds killer into a master volume type head. Loving it into my Wizard MC2 and Hermansson Single Rec right now.

- Boss SD-1 Waza....we all know what this does. Classic for a reason.

- Skreddy Screwdriver Mini Deluxe....another pedal that can be used as OD or cranked up to Distortion level gain. I use this to goose the front of other pedals. It is an awesome pedal for stacking.

- Hermida Mosferatu...don't have this anymore but it was a great Distortion pedal into a clean amp. Very smooth, but also pretty high gain.

- Bogner Red....don't have this anymore either but was a great amp in a box pedal with two channels. The Sherlock knocked this one off my board but prior to that was my main Distortion pedal for years. Takes to stacking extremely well.

It depends on what you mean by "distortion pedal."

I think of these kinds of pedals in like 3 different groups. There's clean boost pedals, overdrive pedals which I think of as a boost plus some subtle gain texture of its own, and full on distortion pedals which I think of as amp-in-a-box pedals meant to be used on their own into a clean amp.

Clean boosts:

Peppers Dirty Tree - The most aggressive but also best clean boost I've heard for Recto-style, minimally filtered high gain amps

Boss GE-7 - Best overall boost and EQ tone sculptor I've used

Overdrive:

RAT - incredible pedal, my favorite overdrive pedal. When used as a boost for high gain amps it tightens without making the amp too thin and provides just enough texture to of its own to push the amp to doing some really cool stuff. Think Nuno type tones.

Blues Driver - another awesome overdrive, super versatile. Can do everything from just giving an amp a slight but wide mid push to bordering on higher gain amp-in-a-box territory

Amp-in-a-box:

Wampler Gearbox - Andy Wood's signature distortion pedal. Very dark and smooth and to be cliche, "amp-like" if you lower the mid knob to like 9:00 and keep the Treble under noon. It's great at like a more modern, higher gain Eric Johnson style tone.

JHS @+ - Andy Timmons' signature distortion pedal. Similar to the Gearbox but a bit more raw and thicker in the mids.

Solar Chug - I think this might be the new benchmark modern high gain AIAB pedal. Super tweakable, wide bandwidth, has knobs for "treble gain" and "bass gain" so it can be however tight or thick you want, sounds great for what it is.

Last edited:
Definitely not using a clean amp. I'm thinking more in the RAT - Blues Driver gain range. I see the RAT as a distortion pedal that can do overdrive. I'm looking between overdrive and distortion.

The Decco 36 designed to be used as a pedal platform. THD amps have ton of harmonics all in phase. The amp overdrive comes on almost immediately on the volume. It blends really well with any pedals I have tried.

Back