Divine Intervention is the best Slayer album

While all the purists will certainly point to Reign In Blood as their finest hour, I would ask that we consider Season In The Abyss. It was still plentry heavy, but showed a greater diversity of tempo and song structure. It also had actual hooks, which is a raity in that genre. Just my thoughts. And as an aside: don's sleep on God Hates Us All. Incredibley aggressive and flat out rageful record, start to finish.
The purest purists point to Hell Awaits as their finest.

Agreed 90%. What you call skips I call filler tracks, but yeah, our outlooks on this are pretty similar. Slayer had something really special on the first four albums with each one sounding completely different. Seasons wasn't quite as innovative but I feel it's high points surpassed that of South's best tracks so it definitely deserves it's ranking as essential Slayer.
War Ensemble is one of the best openers on any album, any genre. Considering the track record before that, Slayer really knew how to start off an Album. Even Haunting the Chapel starts with Chemical Warfare. Unfortunately, growing up in another country, I didn’t get to see Slayer until the Seasons Tour after I had been in the States a short while. Mid sized theater and just an ocean of long hair and leather all head banging in unison. Talk about ready to go to metal war. Just epic for my 20-21 year old ass. I think if Slayer and Metallica had ever toured together around that time, I would have died at the end of the show, knowing everything would be fleeting afterwards…😂

The purest purists point to Hell Awaits as their finest.
Reign In Blood came out and that album just blew me away and for years I would have said without hesitation that was my favorite Slayer album. The past ten years or so, though - Hell Awaits. I just love that album. I still love Reign In Blood and the others, but with tracks like Praise Of Death, Necrophiliac, Kill Again, At Dawn They Sleep...fucking awesome.

I like Divine Intervention, certainly more than most. Between Hell Awaits to Seasons in the Abyss are 4 of my favourite albums by anyone ever, though.

Reign In Blood came out and that album just blew me away and for years I would have said without hesitation that was my favorite Slayer album. The past ten years or so, though - Hell Awaits. I just love that album. I still love Reign In Blood and the others, but with tracks like Praise Of Death, Necrophiliac, Kill Again, At Dawn They Sleep...fucking awesome.
I LOVE RIB, but HA has such killer and epic songwriting, and a much more evil and sinister production/atmosphere to it. Mercyful Fate we’re a big influence on them during that time.
They went next level heavy from SNM to HTC, but HTC to HA was a huge leap and when they really came into their own.

My favorite Slayer production from a sonic standpoint is the 1986 rerecording of Aggressive Perfector. The drums punch and kick at unbelievable levels and there's a lot of separation between instruments. Sounds similar to RIB production but punchier. It's on the remastered RIB CDs as a bonus track.

Slayer at The Stone in San Francisco. This show was off the hook crazy

52D62BA9-A70A-4ECF-AF53-EE17F988D6F8.jpeg
6D4B5114-498B-4D7C-B1A2-7CBC45DBA5F5.jpeg

Divine Intervention was always one of my favorite Slayer albums. One of the fastest, and most complicated, as far as guitar riffs. Even Jeff sat out on a couple songs on that tour because it was giving him carpel tunnel.

Back