Do any of you Herbert guys use KT88s/6550s?

Sixtonoize

I'm looking into getting a Herbert in trade, and I've had great luck so far with =C= 6550s in my amps that can handle them.
I've heard a lot of love for EL34s in the Herb, but how do you think big-bottle tubes would sound?
Would it just be WAAAY too much power? (wouldn't it put out 250+ watts?)
Would the extra clarity of the big tubes make it harsh?
Any other thoughts?

They work just fine. They are loud as shit, so are the 6 EL34s.
It's more of a feel & overall sound shape that makes the difference. That said it's no reason to turn down a deal.

The tubes aren't a factor in the deal, I was just thinking about ordering some 6550s so that I can have a set ready to go when the amp gets here.

I was really wondering if it was worth the cash to experiment/trying to satisfy my own curiosity.

I have KT88s in my Herbert. I like them better than 6L6s but I have not tried EL34s in it yet so I guess I am not much help :no: I want to try 3 different sets (KT88s, EL34s, 6L6s) :rock:

mraajr":1vziy85u said:
I have KT88s in my Herbert. I like them better than 6L6s but I have not tried EL34s in it yet so I guess I am not much help :no: I want to try 3 different sets (KT88s, EL34s, 6L6s) :rock:

How do they compare to 6L6s?

Sixtonoize":2ja6y0ly said:
mraajr":2ja6y0ly said:

How do they compare to 6L6s?

Muddy.....very muddy. I am not sure if it was the two amps but I had two Herberts and the KT88s Herbie sounded so much more clear and articulate. I liked the cleans better too if you can believe it.

mraajr":sil267w8 said:
You heard mine with EL34's and it made you so wet you ended up buying 2 Herberts. :LOL: :LOL:

SwampDonkey":2920kcnw said:
mraajr":2920kcnw said:
You heard mine with EL34's and it made you so wet you ended up buying 2 Herberts. :LOL: :LOL:

I have 4 EL34's and 2 6l6's in my Herbert and I would never want to try anything, a bit of 6l6 blended in there for the cleans but 4 EL34's for some amazing crunch, I hope i don't regret getting the VH-4....time will tell, I don't think I can go wrong though!

SwampDonkey":jprjmco5 said:
mraajr":jprjmco5 said:

Is that what those were? I may have to order a set. The KT88s are immense. Even at lower volumes with a delay in the parallel loop and a LP it sounds like a huge wall of sound coming to pounce on your face.

mraajr":12bd47hj said:
Is that what those were? I may have to order a set. The KT88s are immense. Even at lower volumes with a delay in the parallel loop and a LP it sounds like a huge wall of sound coming to pounce on your face.

Yep. JJ EL34's. Going to either try =C= KT88's next time or the EL34BHT's. I like mine with EL34's, but I really want to satisfy my curiosity about the big bottle tubes.

Back