Do you run 100W Heads with your Captor X? at what Master Volume?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16554
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16554

Would love to hear from folks that are running their 100W heads through a Captor X?

Also would love to know where you keep the Master Volume on your Amp when using the Captor X?

Hi @bmanzer

Ross from Two notes here and thanks so much for weighing in!

@Leveraged Sellout - you will find that settings between amps will vary due to the manner in which manufacturers engineer, configure and specify their power amp sections. What amp are you using? Maybe we can advise on where this is best set?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Ross

Hi @bmanzer

Ross from Two notes here and thanks so much for weighing in!

@Leveraged Sellout - you will find that settings between amps will vary due to the manner in which manufacturers engineer, configure and specify their power amp sections. What amp are you using? Maybe we can advise on where this is best set?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Ross

Thanks Ross, no worries, just looking to collect data from a random group of people.

Might you all have some data from testing that you could share?

I looked at the Captor / Captor X when I was looking at loadbox/attenuators. FWIW, I like my poweramp to be a big contributor to my sound, which means louder than I want it to be.

It seems to me the Captor / Captor X is great if you want to go direct into an audio interface / use IRs; i.e., the speaker sims. which I didn't want.

with any loadbox rated for 100W, I'd be careful because many tube amps can exceed their stated watts at peak. IIRC, there are a few that are rated at 150W+ Fryette?

FWIW, I had one of the first Torpedo CABs in North America, I preordered one before they were released so I'm not anti-Two Notes...

What I want in a loadbox / attenuator is the sound of my amp at any settings into my cabs; with the ability to control the actual output level. The closest thing I found was the Koch Loadbox II Power Attenuator, DI Box and Speaker Emulator.

In the end, I didn't buy anything; I just use ear protection and play louder than I should. :D

I looked at the Captor / Captor X when I was looking at loadbox/attenuators. FWIW, I like my poweramp to be a big contributor to my sound, which means louder than I want it to be.

It seems to me the Captor / Captor X is great if you want to go direct into an audio interface / use IRs; i.e., the speaker sims. which I didn't want.

with any loadbox rated for 100W, I'd be careful because many tube amps can exceed their stated watts at peak. IIRC, there are a few that are rated at 150W+ Fryette?

FWIW, I had one of the first Torpedo CABs in North America, I preordered one before they were released so I'm not anti-Two Notes...

What I want in a loadbox / attenuator is the sound of my amp at any settings into my cabs; with the ability to control the actual output level. The closest thing I found was the Koch Loadbox II Power Attenuator, DI Box and Speaker Emulator.

In the end, I didn't buy anything; I just use ear protection and play louder than I should. :D
Thanks for sharing your experience, much appreciated!!!

Reactions: rsm
Thanks Ross, no worries, just looking to collect data from a random group of people.

Might you all have some data from testing that you could share?

Thanks for getting back to me. In terms of tips and tricks from our side, with our amps in our studio, a common theme was volume not really increasing past ~6 - rather, anything past this point was more power-amp saturation. However, it is vastly different between all amps so our advice is to tweak until you get the optimal signal into the Captor X and then use our Post FX to further fine-tune your tone!

Diezel Hagen, MV up to 11 (time notation, not Spinal Tap scale). I can't feel any difference after that, so no need to go further.

Diezel Hagen, MV up to 11 (time notation, not Spinal Tap scale). I can't feel any difference after that, so no need to go further.

Great amp! We have also noticed the same but there is a touch more compression on your power-amp we have found.

Back