Does the VHX nail the tones of other Diezels?

Haven't compared to other Diezels myself, but the consensus seems to be that yes, it can. And even if it's not quite there (which doesn't seem to be the case), it sounds so good in its own right that there's no way you'll be disappointed if it's the kind of amp you're looking for. I bought it more so for the vast feature set and having modeler flexibility in a real tube amp than I did to have Diezel's whole catalog in one box.

Sorry if that's entirely unhelpful, I just thought I'd chime in with some alternative reasons to look into the VHX since no one seems to have been able to directly answer your question.

I remember @Leo Diezel saying that the taper of the potentiometers were increased on the VHX vs the real amps, meaning that it's easier to dial the VHX to a sweet spot, or something to that effect.

The answers above are true for me too. I'm able to nail the VH4 sound, although the settings aren't identical to the knob settings on my VH4 which caught me out initially, but as pipboy said, the taper range is a little different.
The Hagen is very similar to the VH4 in a lot of ways, so its not a big stretch to match that too. I've not played any of the rest of the Diezels, but it's much more versatile than all of them I would say. I'm able to get vastly different tones all saved to instant recall patches which would take some considerable tweaking on any other Diezel. Fear not, it has all the grunt of the rest too when it's cranked up.

I can only compare to VH4, where from my perspective CH3 on the VHX is more or less similar to VH4.
CH2 sounds for me a little more compressed on the VHX, but this might also be some tweaking issues on my side, and I have not tried to nail the VHX to a certain other Diezel Amp, I mean you get a very versatile, great sounding amp with some nice extra features.

The VH4 has already been very versatile, basically difficult to get a bad sound out of it, but the VHX gives you the possibility to store and recall these settings instantly. DI/IR out is a great feature for me, so the VHX has become also my main source at home..

So as long as you do not fear to get lost in tweaking rather than playing - and you can afford it - I would definitely recommend it.

Do any of you notice a digital “sheen” to the tone of the VHX when compared against your VH4? Mainly in regard to Ch3 tones. I feel like I’m hearing one, albeit a subtle one.

It’s the only thing preventing me from making the jump at this point. I can’t tell if my brain is playing tricks on me or if my ear is just really sensitive to that stuff.

Are you hearing this by playing in person or from a video/sample?

I'm saying this because you can clearly hear it on Sweetwater video because of mixed mic and IR out sound with no phase correction, so you will hear phasing like you will have by using two mic at slightly different position.

Are you hearing this by playing in person or from a video/sample?

I'm saying this because you can clearly hear it on Sweetwater video because of mixed mic and IR out sound with no phase correction, so you will hear phasing like you will have by using two mic at slightly different position.
Yes, I definitely heard it on the Sweetwater video. Thanks for the explanation, that helps me understand why it’s so overt there. The Choptones video sounds a little better.

When I played my friend’s VHX in person I also could kind of hear it too but not as much as the Sweetwater video. It just felt like there’s a subtle digital sheen to it but I probably need to play it again and compare directly. Again, that’s the only thing making me hesitate from making the jump.

Back