Does WoS take care or the phasing issues when blending IRs?

Viljami

To me it seems that I don't get any phasing problems with WoS. Which is of course a good thing. My question is, does it automatically adjust the phases when loading two or more IRs?

Especially some non-commercial IRs seem to have varying lengths of silence in the beginning of the wav file that seems to cause phasing issues with other IR loaders.

How about the Two Notes BlendIR? Do I have to cut the "silence" off in DAW manually from the beginning of the wav, to avoid phasing, or does it take care of it automatically? I see that there is a Phase control in BlendIR but I'm not sure how to use it. This of course is an issue only with IRs that aren't in the same phase.

Hi Viljami,

that is a very good question indeed.

All the Two notes cabinets are "kind of" phase-aligned. I write kind of, because we do not use any algorithm based on phase to do so, but another process, closer to what "real humans"do by hear to determine if two signals are "in phase".

And it works pretty well to me. ^^

BlendIR is different, as it does not process proprietary Two notes cabinets that embed extra information to help us with the process. So you will have to do with your own hears what we do automatically for our proprietary files. ;) Basically, you can change the attack time and/or the phase to achieve the same result. ;)

I see, thank you for the answer.

Two more questions:

1. Does the WoS also phase-align WAVs and AIFFs that are made by someone else than Two Notes? It seems to me that also those are in phase. However when I blend two or more WAVs or AIFFs in BlendIR there seems to be phasing problems if the files are not phase-aligned already. This leads to the second question:

2. Is there somewhere a proper tutorial how to use the BlendIR? How could I take care that the blended .tur is in phase? By this I mean the files that aren't phase-aligned already.

1. Does the WoS also phase-align WAVs and AIFFs that are made by someone else than Two Notes? It seems to me that also those are in phase. However when I blend two or more WAVs or AIFFs in BlendIR there seems to be phasing problems if the files are not phase-aligned already.

There is no processing in WOS III or BlendIR, actually the phase-alignement processing is one when we create the Torpedo proprietary cabinet files.

But now that you we talk about that, I will consider adding a kind of "auto-align" function in BlendIR.

2. Is there somewhere a proper tutorial how to use the BlendIR? How could I take care that the blended .tur is in phase? By this I mean the files that aren't phase-aligned already.

There is no proper tutorial regarding phase alignement, but like in real world, this is usually done by hear. If you have 2 IRs, I would recommend switching the polarity of the second, and move the offset until you find the sound to be the weakest. Then, switch the polarity back and VOILA!

Back