Doing something wrong... VH4 - G major 2

AC

I recently decided to add a G-major2 to my Diezel VH4 setup, because I wanted to add some effects post preamp and not just in front of the preamp.

So, I've been test-driving it some hours, and I can't seem to pinpoint a problem.

I want to use the dry amp signal, so, I went for the midi-changeable loop 2.

So I had to go parallel, but when I put loop 2 send to gmajor in, and gmajor out to parallel return, ... my tone alters, but I don't get the effects. My gmajor is set to wet, killdry is on,... but zilch... Tone just diminishes a little, that's it. Loop volume in front is set to max, doesn't change a thing when I put it to 0.
When I put the loop 2 off, the tone get's better. :D

When I use the serial return, I get lot's off effects ,but when I turn off the loop, I get nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm forgetting?????

The kill dry function needs to be on for parallel loop and off for serial loop. You are most likely hearing phasing due to improper setting of the kill dry.

Also, check the settings on the TC and check whether it's set to line level or instrument level, and what the output level is set to. All can have different effects.

Sorry, explain again? Are you using the switchable serial send, and the parallel return? I didn't think you could do that. Maybe you can. I haven't read the manual in a while, but I'd have thought that would send the signal ONLY out the switchable send braking the direct path through the amp, and then making the parallel return just another serial return but with a knob controlled gain. There's not much point in making it parallel and switchable surely? You may as well just have it in parallel and use empty patches for dry sounds since there will be zero signal degradation in a parallel loop? I'm tired though so might be missing something...

This is what's in the manual
3.2.2 Send 2 Functions
Send 2 has an edge over send 1: it is switch able and midi programmable. This is especially handy if
you are using a multi effects unit in this loop, but don’t want it in the signal path all the time, but
only when you are using it’s effects. You can activate or deactivate this loop by pushing the red
”Send2” button on the front of the amp, or by assigning it a midi command. Send 2 only works
with the parallel return.

So I go from Send 2, to the parallel return... right.

When Send 2 is not selected on the front panel, I get no sound (and that's basically the main issue)
When Send 2 is selected, I get sound, but no effects... that might have something to do with the settings, but Killdry is on, wet 100%,... output levels seem hight enough,...

It seems that I don't get a real return signal.

Sorry, didn't read it properly. Was thinking it was a Herbert. My bad. :doh:

It which case I guess it should work, and yes, you'd want killdry on else you'll get horrible phasing issues.

Best get back in my box. :aww:

BTW, what effects are you trying this with? Have you tried it with JUST reverb or Delay. If you have other phase/flange/detune based effects you'd the just that half of the effect being passed on to the reverb/delay and it might do odd things. So try with just delay say first. If that works and you're using other effects maybe then try with those again, but make sure the effects routing inside the G Major is parallel, not serial or half serial or whatever it's called (I have a v1.0 G-Maj but I guess it's similar). Other effects are far from ideal in a parallel loops. I used mine for delay and reverb only set to parallel effects config. Oddly enough 2 days ago I figured sod it and stuck oit back in the unswitched serial loop for the first time in years. I can tell VERY VERY slightly, but it's barely noticable. If it's like the v1 though I make sure all the preset out levels are all set to 0dB. In the v1 it defaults to -6dB so you can have a solo boost. I find that does degrade the signal more noticably at -6dB and the herbie has the separate Vol.2 if I do ever decide I want to go widdle-tastic! :)

only delay's at the moment.

Since the serial isn't switchable, that's not what I'm looking for.

AC":30i64agb said:
Since the serial isn't switchable, that's not what I'm looking for.
An empty patch with no effects on in the serial loop no good then, since the MIDI signal is gonna patch change the G-maj anyway?

Even so if you're just doing delay in the parallel loop, it's all plugging in right, and the FX unit has sensible levels then it should work as you have it.

Not teaching you to suck eggs but I assume you haven't accidently hit the bypass button on the G-maj or something. As a sanity check does it work fine with killdry off in the serial loop? Check that, proving that all the levels and output ranges are set sensibly and it's not set to S/PDIF in or out or something. When that's all proved good, then turn killdry back on and stick it in the parallel loop without fiddling with any other settings on it.

Back