Dual rectifier problem :(

Hi everyone! Hopefully someone here can help me. So I have a 1994, silver chassis, 2 channel dual rectifier, and its acting up. It's powering on, but it's not activating the channel like normal no matter which channel is selected. This of course means I get no sound. It did this yesterday, but after sitting for a bit in standby, it finally kicked the channel on by itself and sounded fine. Not so lucky today. It's almost like it's stuck in pre channel limbo. I swapped the fuse just in case, and looked at the tubes, but everything seems ok. anyone have an idea of what could be malfunctioning?

Edit: I actually am getting a sound, but it's a quiet buzz/hum that is not effected by the master volume level.

Hi, you can try swapping preamp tubes and clean the effect loop jacks, check the amp's input jack, try other cables (instrument and cab) and plug into the amp with just guitar, no pedals in front or in the loop. Try to bypass the effect loop and check if the problem persists. Then turn the loop on and plug the guitar straight into effect loop return to check if the problem is isolated in the preamp section. But these old rectos have problems with LDRs (switching components inside the amp) that need to replace. Just take the amp to good tech to check them (if swapping preamp tubes and cleaning the jacks does not help).

Petr

^^^
Like he said for the most part.

"and looked at the tubes"< did you try replacing them or just look at em. You can't tell if a tubes bad by looking at it. And like strungout said, make sure to remove everything else in the signal chain and trouble shoot guitar straight in if you haven't done so already. If your not handy with a meter and schematic, I'd say take it in to a tech if tube swapping doesn't rectify the issue.

Back