Duncan Perpetual Burn vs bare knuckle Rebel Yell

valve

Didn’t find a comparison worded or actual audio.
But both are described with similar attributes, so I am wondering how close they actually are or what are the differences.
And therefore which one might fit my (current) taste better

I am not going to be helpful but will say a while back I got excited about bare knuckle pups but the more I looked at the descriptions and EQ scheme power out put ect I got more perplexed. Plus the price. I went with an Aldrich and could not be happier!

Ha, yeah the Duncan scores points with the price.
I tried a few bare knuckles and some I really like but I also had a total miss.
at the current price point I am not willing to really experiment anymore.

Don‘t think the Aldrich will be my thing. It‘s pretty beefy

No experience with Pepetual burn but the spec are in hotter PAF territory. Something like DM Norton, versatile, even, 'works in most guitars' type of pickup.
BKP RY has bigger output, very specific midrange clarity of lower output PAF pickups and works better in darker/bass heavier guitars. I used one in '04 LP Standard which fits perfectly. I have one in '08 US Charvel now and also works great. The guitar itself has lot of bottom end and upper harmonics, in fact it os first guitar where DM Tone Zone doesn't sound like muddy shit :)
Aldrich... it is good pickup but it has overload of bass and tend to sound very bassy with flat highs, and not as much definition. SSH+ works better imho, more treble, less bass, very defined mids.

Thanks, but I don't get the PAF references?
Yes it will be Explorers and LPs mainly but maybe also a HH superstrat, but rather unlikely.
I tend to like slim PUs with the fat coming from the amp.

PAF pickups...usually 7.5 - 8.5 kohm, Alnico 2 or 5, 42 AWG plain enamel wire...burstbuckers, custombuckers etc

PAF pickups...usually 7.5 - 8.5 kohm, Alnico 2 or 5, 42 AWG plain enamel wire...burstbuckers, custombuckers etc
... and therefore i don't understand what the Becker PU has to do with it???
Both PUs in question are most probably AWG43 .
Burn probably Poly, RY PE

To me a rebel yell has a good output,more on the clearer,brighter side. Works with a guitar that’s on the darker side. It doesn’t sound very good in a bright guitar.
The bare knuckles I like the best is the crawler myself
The perpetual burn,think less output than a Duncan custom. You gain more clarity with a nice eq curve. But I always walk away wanting a little more output.

To me a rebel yell has a good output,more on the clearer,brighter side. Works with a guitar that’s on the darker side. It doesn’t sound very good in a bright guitar.
The perpetual burn,think less output than a Duncan custom. You gain more clarity with a nice eq curve. But I always walk away wanting a little more output.
thanks, no problem with low/moderate output.
so not too similar?

I would take the RY all day over the PB.

I didn't keep the PB too long. I didn't find it had much in common with a JB. More like a watered down Custom. For that type of wind (lower wind, AWG43), the Custom Shop S-Deco I had blew it away!

The RY I found did have some similarities to the JB in its upper mid response, but was firmer in the low end.

thanks, no problem with low/moderate output.
so not too similar?
No not similar at all. I think the RY works best in dark sounding guitars(If you want a hotter pickup).
PB is a lower output but has good clarity and note definition.

I have 4 super strat Warmoths and all have BKPs in them..Since the first one I tried I've been hooked. The detail clarity and responsiveness are not even close in Dimarzio or Duncan. That said I do have a PATB1 and a Duncan Custom Hybrid..those are the only two that have any resemblance to the quality of BKP as far as the feel. As others have noted..BKPs can be picky about the guitar they are in and height adjustment experimentation is required to find the sweet spot. I even yanked a Ceramic Nailbomb for a Juggernaut as the NB was just to bright. I am biased much more so to Alnico than Ceramic magnets.

this is pretty Accurate, the RY is a bright pickup, in the wrong guitar it can get shrill.
I've used a lot of BK pickups in 6 an 7 string configurations, the Holydiver and Alnico Nailbomb are my favorites, but even those need to be in
the right guitars.
lately I've been loving the Duncan Custom 5, I have one in a JacksonSL3 and a Charvel dark amber DK24 and it sounds great in both of them.

I would take the RY all day over the PB.

I didn't keep the PB too long. I didn't find it had much in common with a JB. More like a watered down Custom. For that type of wind (lower wind, AWG43), the Custom Shop S-Deco I had blew it away!

The RY I found did have some similarities to the JB in its upper mid response, but was firmer in the low end.
doesn't have to be like a JB. although i agree it often is described that way.

Funny you mention the S-deco. That's a PU i am interested in since years. from what i read it's close to a demon? but a lil fuller and warmer?
i never came around ordering a custom shop PU. It's a hassle outside of the US.
You prefer the S-Deco to the Rebel Yell?

watered down custom also doesn't sound bad to me, since i think the big lowend of the SH-5 is kind of overkill and the top end is a bit 'ceramic'

Last edited:
No not similar at all. I think the RY works best in dark sounding guitars(If you want a hotter pickup).
PB is a lower output but has good clarity and note definition.
the "but" makes it sound like if those things normally would contradicting each other or the Rebel Yell doesn't have this attributes, which i doubt, because it'S kind of the bareknuckle attributes.

Anyway, I currently don't have a guitar i would call dark. One LP has a huge lowend (neck PU gets pretty woofy prety fast), but still some nice sparkle up top. Than i have one which is a bit muted up top but also quite lean on the lows.

I have 4 super strat Warmoths and all have BKPs in them..Since the first one I tried I've been hooked. The detail clarity and responsiveness are not even close in Dimarzio or Duncan. That said I do have a PATB1 and a Duncan Custom Hybrid..those are the only two that have any resemblance to the quality of BKP as far as the feel. As others have noted..BKPs can be picky about the guitar they are in and height adjustment experimentation is required to find the sweet spot. I even yanked a Ceramic Nailbomb for a Juggernaut as the NB was just to bright. I am biased much more so to Alnico than Ceramic magnets.
That's a brought generalization. I agree that the bareknuckle brand can be associated with those attributes, but that doesn't mean that every BKP PU is clearer than every duncan or dimarzio.
i have the Cobra T and it's not the clearest tele PU i know. They add some nice beef to your tele and transforms them in a metal machine and i like the result, but it's definitely not the clearest tele PU i know.
I had the BKP Boss set and the Bridge PU might be the muddiest tele PU i ever owned. tried it in 2 different guitars and played with the height a lot, but it never work out with my amp. granted it still had some highend, but something about the bass or low mids made it anything than clear with my setup. My Paul Bunyan smoked it in every way. Also most duncan Tele Bridge PUs are clearer.
I have the flat 50s and i like them very much, but i wouldn't go into the clarity fight.
I have the RiffRaffs, also great! It has the clarity and precision that i miss with the SH-1 59s. SH-2 Jazz Bridge is close though, but has a bigger lowend (i don't want) and is maybe a bit bland in comparison but never tried them in the same guitar (so could be just the guitar).
There is the screamin' demon. it might be sterile and shrill to most people, but it's not missing clarity, at least from my experience with the PU i own(ed).
i have more, but you get the picture...

this is pretty Accurate, the RY is a bright pickup, in the wrong guitar it can get shrill.
I've used a lot of BK pickups in 6 an 7 string configurations, the Holydiver and Alnico Nailbomb are my favorites, but even those need to be in
the right guitars.
lately I've been loving the Duncan Custom 5, I have one in a JacksonSL3 and a Charvel dark amber DK24 and it sounds great in both of them.
I mostly play my Diezels and they can take a bright PU.
vintage output bridge singles can get a bit much with my V30s though or is to drastic of a change if you also play Humbuckers.
But in general i tend to use brighter PUs, since i can still use the tone knob to a certain degree.

Not really interested in any other PU from Bareknuckle right now (other than the RY).

The Custom 5 was a bit dry with a big lowend. I will try it again, but it was very uninspiring with the guitar (especially for lead work) i had it in (same guitar that currently features the Jazz).
I have one (lean bass, almost honky mids, soft top), where i think it will work fine, but in this the Duncan SH-1 59 actually work really well and i kind of wanna leave it as is.

the "but" makes it sound like if those things normally would contradicting each other or the Rebel Yell doesn't have this attributes, which i doubt, because it'S kind of the bareknuckle attributes.

Anyway, I currently don't have a guitar i would call dark. One LP has a huge lowend (neck PU gets pretty woofy prety fast), but still some nice sparkle up top. Than i have one which is a bit muted up top but also quite lean on the lows.
No. The PB has a nice eq curve. The RY can be bright as f-ck at times. Say in a guitar with ss frets. Hope you like twang brother lol.
The PB is a great pickup just not the hottest. More like a Frankenstein or weaker custom. All depends on what you like and want. I’m simply explaining my thoughts on the two pickups you asked about.

Back