Early 90s Bogner estascy 101b wing C el34 replacement?

hopkinWFG

To many of the late 90s Bogner estascy 101b owners.... as SED winged C is hard and expensive to obtain.... am just wondering how many of the guys here whom they like their late 90s XTC with winged C el34 , what tube they have in their XTC now in replacing these old ridden Winged C 34s without loosing the nice tight upper harmonics ?

I have quartet Winged C whom it came along with the amp when i purchased ... and now it made a prominent hum, i tested out placing a new set of JJ el34L whom i purchased it and hum is gone and notably its the winged C issue i guess....

But i dont getta nice tight rich harmonics as the winged C does.... it sound bigger and spongier but am not getting that tight rich upper harmonics being "brighter"

Which tube can i look for to get back that tight rich upper mid harmonic tone ?

There’s not many tubes that can handle the plate voltages of late 90’s XTCs.

Swap out the JJEL34 for JJE34L as the E34L are a more robust EL34 and can take the plate voltage.

I also like to run new sensor’s tung sol EL34B and prefer them over new sensor’s Svetlana EL34 which are not to be confused with SED who made real winged C’s as you know. SED sold the Svetlana name to new sensor many years ago.

For an early 90’s Bogner I’d honestly just cough up the money for real winged C’s and be done with it. There’s a few amps I own that get the good glass. My Laney GH100S since it has a soft start feature and my Bogner XTC since it actually needs it.

If I were gigging out regularly I’d load my Bogner with JJE34L since they’re the most robust you can get today and they’re made in Slovakia and not Russia.

Swap out the JJEL34 for JJE34L as the E34L are a more robust EL34 and can take the plate voltage.

I also like to run new sensor’s tung sol EL34B and prefer them over new sensor’s Svetlana EL34 which are not to be confused with SED who made real winged C’s as you know. SED sold the Svetlana name to new sensor many years ago.

For an early 90’s Bogner I’d honestly just cough up the money for real winged C’s and be done with it. There’s a few amps I own that get the good glass. My Laney GH100S since it has a soft start feature and my Bogner XTC since it actually needs it.

If I were gigging out regularly I’d load my Bogner with JJE34L since they’re the most robust you can get today and they’re made in Slovakia and not Russia.
If it is just plate voltage, pretty much all el34’s will handle 800v…screens are the problem. Most are only about 450v. There are a handful that will go 500v. The Svetlana, jj el34 and el34l, 6ca7 and kt77’s are about it I thnk.

@glpg80 thanks i swap out to JJEL34L didnt like it.... i didnt like the JJEL34L on my Wizard MC2 also....

The JJ EL34L on the XTC sound bigger but and much spongier which is nice but it lose the tightness of the Winged C and upper mid harmonics...

An SED winged C now cost 100usd per tube from Tube depot.... would anybody recommend better pricing Winged Cs?

@glpg80 thanks i swap out to JJEL34L didnt like it.... i didnt like the JJEL34L on my Wizard MC2 also....

The JJ EL34L on the XTC sound bigger but and much spongier which is nice but it lose the tightness of the Winged C and upper mid harmonics...

An SED winged C now cost 100usd per tube from Tube depot.... would anybody recommend better pricing Winged Cs?

Good luck. Mesa for a while was selling pairs of SED's but they are already out. Also keep in mind the last year or so, the SED factory was pushing out all their factory seconds (tubes that weren't up to spec) so there was a lot of bad SED tubes flooded into the market toward the end.

All the single tube offerings, you may find it very hard to get any close to matched as well, thus the reason they are sold in singles.

So, beware when trying to find NOS SED's.

The earlier SED's have 45-degree angle halo's and those were considered the best variant of that tube.

Back