Early Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Multi-Watt?

War_in_D

Handwritten date on the multi-watt I picked up the other day is 12/21/2009. I didn't think the multi-watt came out until January 2010? Granted, we're talking late December so basically it's like saying January of 2010. I know I bought a multi-watt brand new in early 2010 right after they first came out. Anyone seen another multi-watt with a 2009 date on it? Serial number info on Mesa's website says the serials started with R-52101. Looks like this one is within the first 150 serialized.

IMG_20240107_150021651_HDR~2.jpg

Joined the forum so I could add to this because I also became curious 😄. I have a multi-watt built on 12-17-09 and my serial is R-52197, so it puts it at #97.

I got it in a trade last year and noticed a few differences with some others I had messed with in the past. Biggest was the tube shield not being painted, but bare aluminum. Any I had seen before that were painted, then I found some pictures from early 2010 that showed a multi-watt with an unpainted shield. Not sure if there is anything to that or if they just had a batch of unpainted shields to get rid of.

My favorite Rectifier for sure.

Last edited:
Joined the forum so I could add to this because I also became curious 😄. I have a multi-watt built on 12-17-09 and my serial is R-52197, so it puts it at #96.

I got it in a trade last year and noticed a few differences with some others I had messed with in the past. Biggest was the tube shield not being painted, but bare aluminum. Any I had seen before that were painted, then I found some pictures from early 2010 that showed a multi-watt with an unpainted shield. Not sure if there is anything to that or if they just had a batch of unpainted shields to get rid of.

My favorite Rectifier for sure.

I had to go look at mine, and it's got the bare aluminum cover as well. The more recent one I had (2016 I think) had the black (powder coated maybe?) shield. I'm not sure when that changed though.

My 2023 MW has unpainted shields.

Are you referring to the individual tube shields (like over the preamp tubes)? Those have always been unpainted aluminum AFAIK. I could be thinking of the wrong thing here, but I thought we were talking about the "cage" that goes around the power tubes.

If you got an unpainted "cage" in 2023, that might be unique.

1714049507776.png

1714049708128.png

Handwritten date on the multi-watt I picked up the other day is 12/21/2009. I didn't think the multi-watt came out until January 2010? Granted, we're talking late December so basically it's like saying January of 2010. I know I bought a multi-watt brand new in early 2010 right after they first came out. Anyone seen another multi-watt with a 2009 date on it? Serial number info on Mesa's website says the serials started with R-52101. Looks like this one is within the first 150 serialized.

View attachment 278081
Who’s signature is that? I saw the same one on a Mesa but could never figure it out.
IMG_6947.jpeg

S
Are you referring to the individual tube shields (like over the preamp tubes)? Those have always been unpainted aluminum AFAIK. I could be thinking of the wrong thing here, but I thought we were talking about the "cage" that goes around the power tubes.

If you got an unpainted "cage" in 2023, that might be unique.

View attachment 306471
The back cover is black but the preamp tube covers are silver.

Back