Effects unit questions

sksac

Hey guys

I just realized that Im going to need some kind of effects unit for reverb, chorus, delay etc. I like to use those effects from time to time. I do have an ADA MP-2 but its a dinosaur to me.

Whats a good unit? Or, whats the best unit? Something that will work in my Plexi, one of my 2203s or even an AFD100?

Price isnt really an issue.

Delay - Carbon Copy (good price)
Chorus - Analogman (pricey but well worth it)
Reverb - Hardwire (good price)

The Axe-fx looks cool yet I dont want the amp voicings. I bet its extra because of that. Do they make a unit with just the effects that you know of?

I found a TC G Major for cheap. Find one of those. pretty cool. old Alesis Quadroverb. ART midiverb those old things are great .

TC Electronic Nova System + G-Switch. More routing features: TC Electronic G-System. I own and dig both. I also use a TC Electronic Nova Drive with my G-System.

IMO

sksac":3bd7sqsw said:
The Axe-fx looks cool yet I dont want the amp voicings. I bet its extra because of that. Do they make a unit with just the effects that you know of?

Couple things...

I ended up buying the Ultra for FX alone. Spendy, yes, but the FX (and today's my first full day on the unit) are incredible and very very pro sounding. I'm drifting into the amp sims because they really have done a bang up job of some terrific emulations!! But FX wise, it's pimp.

If you're not into the Axe-Ultra, I would highly recommend 2 pedals... Both are by Eventide. First up would be the PitchFactor - I say first up because this unit alone offers time delays as well as ambience settings, in addition to a plethora of pitch based effects. I own all three Eventide units, and without a doubt, had I only had the choice to have one? I'd take the PitchFactor hands down. Having said this, the second recommendation would be either the TimeFactor or the ModFactor. Seeing as the PF does a terrific job of a lot of delay based effects, maybe just go with the ModFactor which will do EVERYTHING you want in the world of modulations - chorus, flange, reverb, echo, the list.......just.............keeps............................GOING!!

So there ya have it. You can get both for about $700 to $800 new. They're awesome. Fully upgradeable, fully programmable, zero noise, intelligent design, easy to figure out once you're on the roll, mono/stereo, and I/O'able with your computer for mix downs, etc. They're studio racks in a stomp sized box.

Peace,
V. :thumbsup:

Ventura":386frfqf said:
sksac":386frfqf said:

Couple things...

I ended up buying the Ultra for FX alone. Spendy, yes, but the FX (and today's my first full day on the unit) are incredible and very very pro sounding. I'm drifting into the amp sims because they really have done a bang up job of some terrific emulations!! But FX wise, it's pimp.

If you're not into the Axe-Ultra, I would highly recommend 2 pedals... Both are by Eventide. First up would be the PitchFactor - I say first up because this unit alone offers time delays as well as ambience settings, in addition to a plethora of pitch based effects. I own all three Eventide units, and without a doubt, had I only had the choice to have one? I'd take the PitchFactor hands down. Having said this, the second recommendation would be either the TimeFactor or the ModFactor. Seeing as the PF does a terrific job of a lot of delay based effects, maybe just go with the ModFactor which will do EVERYTHING you want in the world of modulations - chorus, flange, reverb, echo, the list.......just.............keeps............................GOING!!

So there ya have it. You can get both for about $700 to $800 new. They're awesome. Fully upgradeable, fully programmable, zero noise, intelligent design, easy to figure out once you're on the roll, mono/stereo, and I/O'able with your computer for mix downs, etc. They're studio racks in a stomp sized box.

Peace,
I have everything Ventura just talked about (Ultra / TF / PF), and I couldn't say any of it any better. Agree 100%... :thumbsup:

Bronco":2sbheyb5 said:
Ventura":2sbheyb5 said:
sksac":2sbheyb5 said:

Couple things...

Peace,
I have everything Ventura just talked about (Ultra / TF / PF), and I couldn't say any of it any better. Agree 100%... :thumbsup:
Thanks Bronco!!

Hey, just as an aside, I liked your other avatar a LOT better :D

V.

you know what, I have 5 effects on my board and it cost more than an axe fx ultra so maybe it is worth the $ just for effects

steve@russo":3r88p9zl said:
you know what, I have 5 effects on my board and it cost more than an axe fx ultra so maybe it is worth the $ just for effects
I have yet to really go "balls deep" with the effects of the Ultra, but I can say that thus far, they're awesome... Furthermore, as per the OP, it's not as though removing the amp sims and cab sims is going to change the Ultra (or the Standard for that matter), it's all just bits and bytes, silicon and integrated circuits, software, algorithms and hardware - the additional sims don't take up space or create weight - they're just there. Part of the bigger "effects" package.

However, pulling back a bit form the glisse of the Ultra - Eventide's are my fave effects stomps to date. And really, to get you started, the MF/TF and PF could do you wonders. But, looking at it pragmatically, say you buy the 2 aforementioned stomps, there's about $700 (conservatively). Then you'll want the other main contender (whatever Factor wasn't bought), maybe even the SPACE.... Add this up and we're kissing $1400+/- for 3 stomps, $1700 to $1800 for all four.

Guess we're right back at square one with the Ultra then... :dunno:

Eventide's aren't transparent in the truest sense - they've got a unique feel and flavor to their effects that I really like. You may not. I found thus far the Axe to be truly "digitally robotically precise" in its effects. Perfect ADA and DSP. The Eventides? Sort of the same but trained ears will know when you're running through an Eventide - and that's NOT a bad thing :yes:

V.

TC G Major, I've never used one but I have heard of a number of cats within this forum who've complained about serious tonesuck with 'em. Put it out there before you hit the BUY button, just in case...

V.

The Axe Fx is the way to go. You may not think you'd ever use the amp sims.... the unit is worth it for the effects alone and that was my intended use...but curiosity got the best of me and I now run it as part of a dual and sometimes triple amp rig in conjunction with my Cornford head. My stage footprint is the smallest it's ever been....with the biggest sound and most flexibility I've ever had. Two 2x12's, Head, and a 4 space rack and a pedal board and it's really like having a full blown multi amp rig with the best of the best in rack effects.

Also with the Axe...if you buy one and think it's overkill for what you need, you can sell it for what you paid for it.

Ventura":v2a22w8j said:
TC G Major, I've never used one but I have heard of a number of cats within this forum who've complained about serious tonesuck with 'em. Put it out there before you hit the BUY button, just in case...

V.

i owned one for 3 years, and yes there is some tone suck but it actually was not the reason i sold it.

using PC commands the delay between patches was almost a full second. totally un-usable in any environment - it was an overpriced fotswitchless stompbox. the effects themselves actually didnt sound too bad. i remember the chorus's suck badly, phasers suck badly, but the reverbs and delays werent half bad. thats all i really used.

Back