EL34's in a Dual Rectifier - Si or No?

dooredge

I'm assuming most guys run 6L6's in their Mesa Dual Rectifier amp(s).

Anyone here do the EL34 thing? What were the results like? Did you like, love or hate EL34's vs. 6L6's?

I really preffered el34's in mine. But to be fair, I had to have it running hard to really tell the difference.

-1 for EL34's in a recto.

I've owned many, and 6L6's sound much bigger. They also capture that Recto tone better.

EL34s all the way, especially if you use the orange channel with or without a boost as your main tone.

dooredge":116iw8y4 said:
I'm assuming most guys run 6L6's in their Mesa Dual Rectifier amp(s).

Anyone here do the EL34 thing? What were the results like? Did you like, love or hate EL34's vs. 6L6's?

Tightens the amp up. Depends on what you are after. Some think its the way to go. It's an opinion on what and how you play. Spend $80 on a quad of tubes and see for your self. Personally, they don't do anything for me.

rickenbacker198":360n2zq5 said:
You guys are all so old school ..
To me ,
It doesn't sound like a REC unless it's loaded with 6L6's.
Old school? No old school over here...

6L6's are bland in most amps in the first place. When you put 34's into a recto it livens the amp up, brings out a touch more mid range, and it gets "warmer" sounding in a lot of ways. Part of that is with 34's a recto's bias comes up considerably hotter. 6L6's run cold and are part of why they sound sterile and bland in that amp.

I you want a Recto sound with EL34s... play a Bogner Uberschall.

The classic Recto sound comes from 6L6GCs. Yep... it has scooped-mids, heavy bottom, and sometimes harsh highs depending on how it's dialed... but it is what it is. That's the classic sound you hear on countless recordings. EL34s in the a Recto sound off to me. YMMV.

Devin Townsend used el34 equipped rectos for a long time. He got (in my opinion) a fantastic sound.

Another one for el34. I always run them in my rectos. I think it's most noticeable at mid gain settings but I much prefer them in my amps

Back