EMGs vs passive pickups -- size

6-string EMG humbuckers are the same size as a standard humbucker. EMG single coils will fit into a standard single coil route.

I believe the 707 is a non-standard sized 7-string pickup. Not sure about their other 7/8/9 string pickups.

The ones with the legs are the H series and they are a little bigger (length/width) than a standard passive pickup (SD, Dimarzio. etc.). In some guitars they will pop right in, in other guitars you will need to sand or route the guitar.

The soap bars are way bigger than a standard passive.

Maybe not the question in the OP, but I wish the blade poles of the 81 etc were longer because IME they don't work well in a guitar that needs f-spaced pickups; the blades don't seem to continue all the way under the outer strings and causes me issues.

For a guitar that needs f-spaced pickups, I have to use the Het set or 57/66 set.

The EMG89 is the only one I can think of that is a little funky, because it's a little taller than a regular humbucker/EMG. Only an issue maybe if you're trying to fit it into a pickguard or you have a really shallow humbucker route in the body

Back