ENGL Artist 100 vs Retro Tube 100

MrFlexx

I'm thinking about getting another ENGL and looking for good hardrock tones and smooth liquid solo tones...from what I've read the two for this task is the Artist 100 and Retro Tube 100. Anyone that owns both or tried them both? Which one's the best for those tones between those two?

I'm thinking about getting another ENGL and looking for good hardrock tones and smooth liquid solo tones...from what I've read the two for this task is the Artist 100 and Retro Tube 100. Anyone that owns both or tried them both? Which one's the best for those tones between those two?
I've owned both, either will work. You really can't go wrong with either, but you may have a hell of a time finding a Retro.

The Artist is warmer with a tad more in the low mids.

The Retro, (IMO), is tuned more to the high mids. Both are aggressive, the Artist is just a bit more polished. Both do the hot-rodded Marshall nicely, the Retro is a little more gritty, tad more compressed, (both in a good way). Honestly, I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. The Artist is pretty well known, and the Retro is highly underrated. It's a kick ass amp in its own right.

This video sealed the deal for me when I bought a Retro.

Last edited:
I've owned both, either will work. You really can't go wrong with either, but you may have a hell of a time finding a Retro.

The Artist is warmer with a tad more in the low mids.

The Retro, (IMO), is tuned more to the high mids. Both are aggressive, the Artist is just a bit more polished. Both do the hot-rodded Marshall nicely, the Retro is a little more gritty, tad more compressed, (both in a good way). Honestly, I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. The Artist is pretty well known, and the Retro is highly underrated. It's a kick ass amp in its own right.

This video sealed the deal for me when I bought a Retro.

First of all a big thank you for your input. Can you explain in what way the Artist is warmer sounding? When you say more polished, do you mean smoother tone?
I have the chance buying a used Retro in excellent condition for €650 or buy a new Artist Black Edition for €1400. I know it's a difference in price, but I want the best one even if the best one will cost me more. You know if Bogners are high mid or low mid concentrated? And how about Marshalls mid?

The Retro Tube is a killer amp. Very juicy with a great feel. That video is a great representation of it.
Bogners are lower mid voiced, and Marshalls are very high mid voiced. That’s that Marshall “kerrang” that you’re hearing.

First of all a big thank you for your input. Can you explain in what way the Artist is warmer sounding? When you say more polished, do you mean smoother tone?
I have the chance buying a used Retro in excellent condition for €650 or buy a new Artist Black Edition for €1400. I know it's a difference in price, but I want the best one even if the best one will cost me more. You know if Bogners are high mid or low mid concentrated? And how about Marshalls mid?
The Artist is smoother. The Retro is closer to the Marshall "kerrang", as stated above. For that price difference, I'd go Retro.

The Artist is smoother. The Retro is closer to the Marshall "kerrang", as stated above. For that price difference, I'd go Retro.
I read from one of the answers above that the Artist is more low mid and the Retro I'd more high mid. I used to own a Bogner Helios 100 and I love that tone. So from what I understand the Artist will be more Bogner voiced but still Marshally!? That makes me think it's maybe like a hybrid between an ENGL and a Bogner, or am I totally wrong?

I read from one of the answers above that the Artist is more low mid and the Retro I'd more high mid. I used to own a Bogner Helios 100 and I love that tone. So from what I understand the Artist will be more Bogner voiced but still Marshally!? That makes me think it's maybe like a hybrid between an ENGL and a Bogner, or am I totally wrong?
Sorta. The Artist isn't as dark as the Helios, and is still closer to a Marshall. I've owned a Helios as well. The Retro video I posted is pretty spot-on, as far as the Retro.

Also Retro clean channel is much more versatile than the Artist. With the big remote you can switch between 4 levels of gain on the Retro..

Really should have kept mine, fining another one has been almost impossible..

No...don't see the need of it either because they are suppose to be aiming for classic rock tones in first hand
That's kind of what I was thinking too. Engl seems to always have more features than other amps (except maybe a KSR) I was just curious if they were more stripped down.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. Engl seems to always have more features than other amps (except maybe a KSR) I was just curious if they were more stripped down.
It is actually fixed value on the Retro and the main reason I sold it, always got in the way, especially on the lower gain tones.. Engl was kind enough to send me a schematic but I had already sold the amp by the time it arrived..

Sorta. The Artist isn't as dark as the Helios, and is still closer to a Marshall. I've owned a Helios as well. The Retro video I posted is pretty spot-on, as far as the Retro.
To further napalm on this...

Not tried the Retro but the Artist was the most "marshallesque" Engl I have ever owned. If the Retro is even more, I'd have to go Retro. Especially for that price.

Resonance - I thought that might be a hindrance to me when I owned the Artist but it was not needed as that amp had alot of good tight low end. I actually flipped my Artist for a Mezzabarba Trinity and I much preferred the Artist's high gain tones hands down. Granted my ear leans Marshall as is my favorite amp a Marshall.

To further napalm on this...

Not tried the Retro but the Artist was the most "marshallesque" Engl I have ever owned. If the Retro is even more, I'd have to go Retro. Especially for that price.

Resonance - I thought that might be a hindrance to me when I owned the Artist but it was not needed as that amp had alot of good tight low end. I actually flipped my Artist for a Mezzabarba Trinity and I much preferred the Artist's high gain tones hands down. Granted my ear leans Marshall as is my favorite amp a Marshall.
Id go Retro at that price difference. An EQ in the loop will get you an Artist.

Back