Engl intermediate User Post?

gyver

Figure id say intermediate is the correct word my use as ive owned some of their popular heads, and gigged with them in Metal scenario.

Currently using an ENGL Special Edition 6l6 So if you guys have any questions regarding the Savage 120, Invader 100, Powerball II, and Special Edition tone wise let me know :)

Jes

Attachments

• 394926_2774547035584_2040094030_n.jpg
    394926_2774547035584_2040094030_n.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 2,008
currently Using PB 2, and a Savage SE for metal and thinking both have sim voicing..
Savage SE rules in high gain... (killer stage head)
But Power Ball hands down on cleans and not far off in high gain tone... (good all around head)

wondering if a SE would be a good replacement to cover both heads?
I have not had any problems... but what about stage reliability and setup?
SE reminds me of my old Road Kings.. too many options for practical use..

Any info would help,
Rob.

I have never tried a Savage SE since it seems they were only released in europe. However the SE vs the powerball 2, the SE owns it in every way. My new guitarist has one, and the SE devours the pb2. They are voiced similar, but the SE sounds more organic and open. As far as reliability, its a workhorse, I rehearse with it 3 times a week, and have gigged with it 8 times with it, 5 of those times were in Mexico where they dont have clean power, and its ruled every time, and I did not buy this amp new. the Original owner was Nils Norberg, ex guitarist of Nocturnal Rites in Sweden, so the amp has been all over the place.

It does have a massive amount of features, but the dual master volumes/presence, the built in spring reverb, and the midi for presets is fantastic. It got me out of a bind when my GSP1101 was acting stupid.

Hope this helps,

Jes

What about an SE EL34 vs a 6L6 SE?
full band setting... any Idea on which one would stand out more?
particular speakers or cab?

I use to like the EL34 tone over the 6L6...
than I ran into the Engl 6L6 tone...! some good stuff...!
possibly would like to try---- Savage SE 6L6 --- and ---- SE EL34 in a live setting...?

thanks for the info!!!
Rob.

racerevlon":3v1dazvv said:
Would you take SE EL34 over Steve Morse model?

In a heartbeat. The SE is way more versatile than the Steve Morse model. The Steve Morse was based off of the Invader, which I was never too crazy about. I must be the only guy on the planet that dislikes the invader.

Robd":21wycykv said:

possibly would like to try---- Savage SE 6L6 --- and ---- SE EL34 in a live setting...?

thanks for the info!!!
Rob.

I ran the EL34s on the SE for one rehearsal, just to see how it sounded. It sounded really good compared to the 6L6s. But then I retubed it with the Winged C 6l6s, and there was way more low end in a good way. Lots of roar, the old set of 6l6s I had in there were JJs which are poo.

As far as cabs, I have a Mesa Recto straight. Its the most consistent cab ive owned so far, my second fav was a marshall 1960s with v30s. I also had a framus cobra cab which was crap, and a carvin legacy x pattern which was not so great either. I tried the ENGL cabs at the ENGL showroom, they didnt do much for me, but thats just me.

gyver":umpdo7fb said:
Robd":umpdo7fb said:

thanks for the info!!!
Rob.

I ran the EL34s on the SE for one rehearsal, just to see how it sounded. It sounded really good compared to the 6L6s. But then I retubed it with the Winged C 6l6s, and there was way more low end in a good way. Lots of roar, the old set of 6l6s I had in there were JJs which are poo.

As far as cabs, I have a Mesa Recto straight. Its the most consistent cab ive owned so far, my second fav was a marshall 1960s with v30s. I also had a framus cobra cab which was crap, and a carvin legacy x pattern which was not so great either. I tried the ENGL cabs at the ENGL showroom, they didnt do much for me, but thats just me.

Nice... def worth a try on a new set of Winged C tubes, I think the stockers are JJ's.

as for cabs... I have had several of the Mesa cabs and currently trying out a Marshall 1960s w/v30's,
I also had the Bogner front loaded x-patern cab... at the end of the day I keep coming back to my
Engl Pro 4x12 which is front loaded with v30's, best Engl tone Iv been able to dial in...

So what is it about the Invader you dis-like?
was thinking it was a cool metal head, Just listed my "Rivera KR7" up for sale and in the the market for
an SE or Invader..
http://flic.kr/p/f7yDW3

Rob.

It sounded loose, and grainy. Channel 4 was cool for leads, but not for rhythms, so you think, Ok ill use channel 3 for rhythms, and channel 4 for leads, but they are voiced totally different, sounded like if I was using patches on a pod with different amp sims on for the channels. The amp had british characteristics, but not the good ones by any means. I changed the power tubes to KT77s to see if the amp would be smoother, but they didnt make much of a difference. The mirror front panel looks cool at first but when you try to move the knobs around, it is so hard to see what exactly youre changing due to the black text on the mirror panel. If you notice there are not alot of good videos out there demoing this amp, aside from guys doing some really nice leads IE: Victor Smolski probably using channel 4. Then there's the Djent guys videos, where they swear up and down it is the best amp, yet 2 noise gates are used with a compressor and a boost along with 30 other pedals, way to kill characteristics of the amp. The cleans were very nice though. :)

Back