ENGL Powerball II LOVE???

richedie

I finally got to hear the Powerball II but didn't get to play it. Now, I have to get out an play it! I am researching for my next amp buy, this summer and never thought of the Engl PB II till now. Holy cow, it sounds frickin good!

Every channel from clean to crunch and high gain lead all sound spectacular.

Who has or played one? I am in a 90s hard rock band and this could be a great amp. Seems really smooth, and nothing harsh about it! Beautiful sounding.

Right now, my amps are Bogner 20th Shiva, PWE Event Horizon and modified Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.
Amps I am researching are the Mesa DElectra Dyne, Royal Atlantic, Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II and now the Engl Powerball II!

richedie":2anflbb2 said:
I finally got to hear the Powerball II but didn't get to play it. Now, I have to get out an play it! I am researching for my next amp buy, this summer and never thought of the Engl PB II till now. Holy cow, it sounds frickin good!

Every channel from clean to crunch and high gain lead all sound spectacular.

Who has or played one? I am in a 90s hard rock band and this could be a great amp. Seems really smooth, and nothing harsh about it! Beautiful sounding.

Right now, my amps are Bogner 21th Shiva, PWE Event Horizon and modified Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.
Amps I am researching are the Mesa DElectra Dyne, Royal Atlantic, Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II and now the Engl Powerball II!
I have owned every amp in your post (except the RA), and I can tell you the PB II rules. It's the best production amp available today.

got one not knowing what to expect... must say was blown away with it,
PB II is impressive, working on my second Engl now... :yes:

I played PB II on ENGL standard cab with V60`s.
Muddy as hell but I blame the cab. Definitely try it with V30`s.

sinnersmoon":2i38yv40 said:
I played PB II on ENGL standard cab with V60`s.
Muddy as hell but I blame the cab. Definitely try it with V30`s.
Agreed. The stock speakers in the Engl cab suck. V30s work much better.

I used a recto 4x12 and a Mills 4x12 with my PB II and it was huge.

should have my Engl Pro 4x12VS by Monday!!!
thinking its one of the better cabs with the V30's,
just not sure if its front loaded?

Rob.

For those who own one, what do you think about it? What do you like about it more than other amps you have owned?

How is the loop and can it handle instrument level analog pedals?

Easy to live with and tweak? Versatile?

Thanks guys.
:)

richedie":15nlvtbq said:
For those who own one, what do you think about it? What do you like about it more than other amps you have owned?

How is the loop and can it handle instrument level analog pedals?

Easy to live with and tweak? Versatile?

Thanks guys.
:)
I used analog vibe, phaser, flanger, chorus, delay, and reverb pedals in the loop of my PB II. Sounded great and no noise or hum. After I ditched the pedalboard, I ran a Digitech MultiFX (iPB-10) in 4 cable method (i.e. into the front end and loop). Worked great with that, too.

squank, since you went through a lot of the same amps as I have, what did you find about the PB II that the others lacked?

richedie":1xkoacb7 said:
squank, since you went through a lot of the same amps as I have, what did you find about the PB II that the others lacked?
They are all good amps that you mentioned. I particularly like the Event Horizon and Shiva 20th (especially with the extra gain stage footswitch mod). But for 80s rock up to modern high gain, you can't beat the PB II. It has great cleans, too. I would say the EH and Shiva 20th have slightly better cleans, but the PB II's 4 channels, dual master volumes, and footswitchability, combined with the built-in noise gate and very quiet loop, make it the gigging dream amp.

I think Orange amps are kind of bland; not bad at all, but nothing special. Splawns are cool, but I get tired of the extremely fast attack/total lack of sponginess that my Quick Rod and Street Rod had. They are well built amps, for sure, but I find that I also get some ear fatigue after playing one for 15 minutes or so. You don't notice it in the guitar store, because you don't often play a single amp for that long in one sitting. But once I got it home, I discovered this and stopped playing my Splawns.

Robd":1ytft6q3 said:
should have my Engl Pro 4x12VS by Monday!!!
thinking its one of the better cabs with the V30's,
just not sure if its front loaded?

Rob.

I find it as a good cab. I didn`t have a chance to AB`d with Mesa or Bogner but I liked it more than Orange. Really tight and articulate low end. You have to be careful with presence so it won`t get too harsh.
I tried it with Savage 120, Savage 60, Blackmore and my E520 with Gerhat poweramp. Sounded always very good.

... and yes, it`s front loaded

squank":2qp4lzob said:
richedie":2qp4lzob said:
They are all good amps that you mentioned. I particularly like the Event Horizon and Shiva 20th (especially with the extra gain stage footswitch mod). But for 80s rock up to modern high gain, you can't beat the PB II. It has great cleans, too. I would say the EH and Shiva 20th have slightly better cleans, but the PB II's 4 channels, dual master volumes, and footswitchability, combined with the built-in noise gate and very quiet loop, make it the gigging dream amp.

I think Orange amps are kind of bland; not bad at all, but nothing special. Splawns are cool, but I get tired of the extremely fast attack/total lack of sponginess that my Quick Rod and Street Rod had. They are well built amps, for sure, but I find that I also get some ear fatigue after playing one for 15 minutes or so. You don't notice it in the guitar store, because you don't often play a single amp for that long in one sitting. But once I got it home, I discovered this and stopped playing my Splawns.

From looking at specs, the Fryette Sig:X is just as versatile for gigging, but in reality I could cover a 3 set cover gig with a single chanel amp and a few pedals, doesn't matter. I have not played these amps side by side but only from clips, I find the SigX has more character. The PBII sounds very good, but I find it sounds rather generic? Nothing jumps out. For example, I play or hear a Splawn and it is like WOW, killer modded Marshall tone!

How about the PB II vs. a Fryette 100 CLX Masterbuilt?

richedie":geixxgzh said:
squank":geixxgzh said:
richedie":geixxgzh said:

From looking at specs, the Fryette Sig:X is just as versatile for gigging, but in reality I could cover a 3 set cover gig with a single chanel amp and a few pedals, doesn't matter. I have not played these amps side by side but only from clips, I find the SigX has more character. The PBII sounds very good, but I find it sounds rather generic? Nothing jumps out. For example, I play or hear a Splawn and it is like WOW, killer modded Marshall tone!

So much of this depends on what you need the amp to do. For my band, I could never get through a gig with the sounds I need for our songs without a channel switching amp. I've got to have a dedicated clean channel, as in pristine cleans. And I prefer my distortion from the amp, so I need a crunch channel for lower gain stuff, and a high gain channel too. So 3 channels are ideal. The PB II gives you 4 channels, so that's icing on the cake, allowing 2 levels of distortion at unity gain between ch 3 and 4. Plus it has 2 separate masters so you have an automatic lead volume boost (without changing your tone like a boost pedal would).

The Powerball is anything but generic. It's got very nice cleans, great crunch, and a fantastic modern high gain unlike any of the other amps were discussing. It's got that edgy punch with a big low end that can knock you over. But if you don't want modern high gain, and prefer instead a more modded Marshall tone, then the other amps may be more what you are looking for.

Playing them is really the only way to know for sure.

Depends like you said....I could do Beatles to VH to Metallica and Stevie Wonder with nothing but a mesa ElectraDyne or Marshall Plexi and a pedal or two.
That said, I am not a metal guy and the Powerball is way too metal for me I believe.

I wish I could play one. Do you know any place near Philladelphia, PA that carries Engl?

richedie":3u7rhcag said:
Depends like you said....I could do Beatles to VH to Metallica and Stevie Wonder with nothing but a mesa ElectraDyne or Marshall Plexi and a pedal or two.
That said, I am not a metal guy and the Powerball is way too metal for me I believe.

I wish I could play one. Do you know any place near Philladelphia, PA that carries Engl?
I would check their website for the most current dealer list.

squank":acqhvgop said:
richedie":acqhvgop said:
squank":acqhvgop said:
richedie":acqhvgop said:

So much of this depends on what you need the amp to do. For my band, I could never get through a gig with the sounds I need for our songs without a channel switching amp. I've got to have a dedicated clean channel, as in pristine cleans. And I prefer my distortion from the amp, so I need a crunch channel for lower gain stuff, and a high gain channel too. So 3 channels are ideal. The PB II gives you 4 channels, so that's icing on the cake, allowing 2 levels of distortion at unity gain between ch 3 and 4. Plus it has 2 separate masters so you have an automatic lead volume boost (without changing your tone like a boost pedal would).

The Powerball is anything but generic. It's got very nice cleans, great crunch, and a fantastic modern high gain unlike any of the other amps were discussing. It's got that edgy punch with a big low end that can knock you over. But if you don't want modern high gain, and prefer instead a more modded Marshall tone, then the other amps may be more what you are looking for.

Playing them is really the only way to know for sure.

Well said and right on target...
if not for me wanting the SE I'd keep my PB,
may still end up with the PB over the high $$$ SE..?
rob.

squank":38s51tre said:
richedie":38s51tre said:

Thanks bro! The Fryette SigX and Mesa Royal Atlantic are tops on my list as well! :)

I just got my POWERBALL 2 :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

It is one awesome amp, very articulate and clear, gain is very useable, good clean sound, good crunch sound, great metal rhythm and lead, and I dig the mid boost and low end button, it has a very unique sound, and falls somewhere between a high gain 80s metal and 21st century metal tone, but could be used for rock and pop as well.
The only bad thing is I am still waiting for my Engl Cab with Vintage 30s and I only have a Mesa cab with g 75 celestions and it just does not sound as good with them as the vintage 30s

ShredBaron":37u4a4lm said:
I just got my POWERBALL 2 :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

It is one awesome amp, very articulate and clear, gain is very useable, good clean sound, good crunch sound, great metal rhythm and lead, and I dig the mid boost and low end button, it has a very unique sound, and falls somewhere between a high gain 80s metal and 21st century metal tone, but could be used for rock and pop as well.
The only bad thing is I am still waiting for my Engl Cab with Vintage 30s and I only have a Mesa cab with g 75 celestions and it just does not sound as good with them as the vintage 30s
Congrats man! That's a fantastic amp. I know you will dig it even more with the V30s.

Back