ENGL Retro Tube and Artist Edition (Aldrich) - Talk to Me!

One of the guitarists in Powertrip uses an ENGL Blackmore and their tones remind me of old Marshall thrash tones. Not sure what he used on the album but saw a video about their gear for live use and know that is what he goes thru.

Does anybody have a tip which kind of boost to use to fatten the sound up a bit?
For rockier sounds it could do with a little bit more sag :) The pickup in my LP is quite lean (Motor City Detroiter), and using the gain boost the sound is pretty tight, which is awesome for heavier sounds, but I'm looking for a sound with a bit more give.
The OD808 I have doesn't do it, cuts too much bass.

I guess it would be better to use this boost with the retro's gain boost off, as it cuts the bass as well.

Currently I could get a TC Spark booster for pretty cheap, there's also a Xotic RC Booster for pretty cheap, but I've never tried these pedals.
I've also been curious about the Suhr Koko boost and the Friedman boost pedals, the Buxom Boost and the Golden Pearl, maybe the Buxom Boost would be the better choice with the better EQ options..

Last edited:
Does anybody have a tip which kind of boost to use to fatten the sound up a bit?
For rockier sounds it could do with a little bit more sag :) The pickup in my LP is quite lean (Motor City Detroiter), and using the gain boost the sound is pretty tight, which is awesome for heavier sounds, but I'm looking for a sound with a bit more give.

I guess it would be better to use this boost with the retro's gain boost off, as it cuts the bass as well.

Currently I could get a TC Spark booster for pretty cheap, there's also a Xotic RC Booster for pretty cheap, but I've never tried these pedals.
I've also been curious about the Suhr Koko boost and the Friedman boost pedals, the Buxom Boost and the Golden Pearl, maybe the Buxom Boost would be the better choice with the better EQ options..

Mesa Goldmine is fatter than most TS type ODs. I use it when I want a slightly fatter tone that's still tight but with a touch more sag/give.

I recently gota killer deal on the Retro 100 and 412 Vintage Straight cab. Honestly, I see where people say it's one of the more "marshally" Engl offerings, but it' still pretty damn modern to my ears. Think of 5150 and Marshall mating, but with a looser low end.

That is really the reason I sold it. It was a really nice amp tonally, and was fun to play, but I require Butthole tight, punchy lows, and this amp had some sag to it once you got the bass thumping.

I ended up selling the head alone for $150 more than I paid for the whole half stack, so I'd say I made out ok with a free cab and a few bucks in my pocket for gas and road snack :)

The Artist has a more punishing tone. The Retro was a killer amp, but the Artist is certainly a notch above in tightness, and articulation. Less bright, warmer. Could be the JJ KT77's I put in the Artist, but it's a beast of an amp that I should have hung on to. Absolutely punishing tone. Really loved my UK-Greenback 4x12.

Buxom Boost, or SD 805 would both be excellent choices. I actually used a VFE Dragon with my Artist.. It was pretty sick, to say the least.
Fortin Hex Drive is another excellent pedal.

I don't think you really want a "Boost" for that. I would recommend something like a Voodoo Labs Giggity. More of a "preamp shaping" pedal, that can be used as a boost, or Fuzz, or whatever in between.

I don't think you really want a "Boost" for that. I would recommend something like a Voodoo Labs Giggity. More of a "preamp shaping" pedal, that can be used as a boost, or Fuzz, or whatever in between.

A boost works well to really tighten it up. The Buxom is pretty clean, if you set it as such.

When I had the Artist, which I loved I boosted it with the Xotic EP boost in it's default position, was perfect because the amp has alot of tight gain and the tonality is really good. I felt it just needed a smidge more, EP was perfect.

A boost works well to really tighten it up. The Buxom is pretty clean, if you set it as such.

Of course, but he’s not asking about making it tighter, he’s asking to make it fatter. Unless I’m misinterpreting something. More Leslie West, if you will. (The American Dreeeeyam, Duth-ty Rhodes, bay bay)

Of course, but he’s not asking about making it tighter, he’s asking to make it fatter. Unless I’m misinterpreting something. More Leslie West, if you will. (The American Dreeeeyam, Duth-ty Rhodes, bay bay)
The bass control will do that!

I'm curious to hear how you make this happen. I've loved all the clips of the AE, but I like a little bit of sag coming from the Friedman camp. Frog's ass tight is fun, but not what I enjoy the most; need a little bit of spongy in the feel.

Let us know how you go with this.

I'm curious to hear how you make this happen. I've loved all the clips of the AE, but I like a little bit of sag coming from the Friedman camp. Frog's ass tight is fun, but not what I enjoy the most; need a little bit of spongy in the feel.

Let us know how you go with this.
EP Booster.

So until any pedal arrives, I felt like maybe the Detroiter is not a good fit for me, so I ripped out the Duncan Custom out of my SG and soldered id into the Les Paul and there it is the 'missing' lowend fullness and some give!
The MCP Detroiter is a cool pickup, but I feel like it's better paired with a somewhat looser/more vintage amp, I'm really so much happier with the sound now! Sounds much fuller!

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I'll have to keep an eye open for the Buxom Boost and the EP Booster, but until then, I'm already really happy I switched the pickups. Makes such a difference sometimes.

Here's a (shitty) short demo: https://clyp.it/jakhvxi4
Excuse the generic and sloppy playing :D Just quickly threw something together.
This was the LP straight into the Amp, Channel 2 with gain boost on.

Edit: Upon listening to some other stuff, and then to the clip again, I have to maybe use some other IRs, it sounds rather scooped, it's warmer in the room, will update tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back