ENGL Rockmaster

Gitfiddler

Fireball research led me to the rockmaster. There aren't many videos on youtube, and i broke one of my rules and watched Henning play through one. Amp sounds good!!

anyone own one ? play one?

thanks

Fireball research led me to the rockmaster. There aren't many videos on youtube, and i broke one of my rules and watched Henning play through one. Amp sounds good!!

anyone own one ? play one?

thanks

1) Choptones makes great videos and almost everything sound good. ;-)
2) I haven't played it, as I heard some so-so stories about these, when I settled on the Ironball head. Since there's also a combo, have you considered the Ironball combo?
Link:
https://www.engl-amps.com/shop/combos/ironball-e600/

Pretty much has same functionality (on board reverb, 2 channels, with switchable gain boost) and an actual tube preamp (4x 12AX7) whereas I expect the Rockmaster and Metalmaster to include some IC stuff, since their preamps are just 2x 12AX7...

The Rockmaster and Metalmaster have been discontinued too, so probably not too popular.

1) Choptones makes great videos and almost everything sound good. ;-)
2) I haven't played it, as I heard some so-so stories about these, when I settled on the Ironball head. Since there's also a combo, have you considered the Ironball combo?
Link:
https://www.engl-amps.com/shop/combos/ironball-e600/

Pretty much has same functionality (on board reverb, 2 channels, with switchable gain boost) and an actual tube preamp (4x 12AX7) whereas I expect the Rockmaster and Metalmaster to include some IC stuff, since their preamps are just 2x 12AX7...

The Rockmaster and Metalmaster have been discontinued too, so probably not too popular.
I will check out the ironball, and am open to heads/combos. Thanks!

If you want more of a rock oriented Engl that can do some high gain, check out the Artist Edition; I have the 100W, there's also a 50W version; heads only.

FWIW, Paul Stanley has been using a version of this live for several years; haven't found what, if any, differences there are between this and his model; but I did find a rig review where I could see his amp settings; not sure if these are mine or his, this pic was from the first time I played the amp.

IMG_0187.JPG

I have the Metalmaster 20 which is part of that series of amps. If the Rockmaster and Gigmaster are in the same vein, they probably sound decent but nothing special to write home about.

You'll likely be better off spending your money elsewhere like an EVH amp or as @rsm suggested an ENGL AE

Reactions: rsm
@Gitfiddler are you looking for something small and portable or are larger heads ok as well?
For small and portable, don't rule out the Fireball 25 and PRS MT15 as well, as these use 'big tubes' and sound more heftier.

I did buy my Ironball 11 years ago after A/B-ing it extensively against the Mesa Mini Rectifier; the Ironball IMO was so much easier, tighter and more fun to play. The Mini Recto had this wooly, fuzzy thing going on, that most likely needed a boost pedal in front to tighten it up. Ironball doesn't need that.

There's the Ironball SE with more bells and whistles, but the gain boost on that one is really more for very saturated lead playing, whereas the regular Ironball has a better chosen boost (less thick) tone. The SE has a nice delay on board and you can toggle the fx-loop with a (MIDI) pedal, which is a big plus. And has IRs on board as well... Powersoak works really well too.

A lot of features crammed on the back of the SE.
engl-e606se-ironball-special-edition-back1_GIT0053172-000.jpg

@Gitfiddler are you looking for something small and portable or are larger heads ok as well?
For small and portable, don't rule out the Fireball 25 and PRS MT15 as well, as these use 'big tubes' and sound more heftier.

I did buy my Ironball 11 years ago after A/B-ing it extensively against the Mesa Mini Rectifier; the Ironball IMO was so much easier, tighter and more fun to play. The Mini Recto had this wooly, fuzzy thing going on, that most likely needed a boost pedal in front to tighten it up. Ironball doesn't need that.

There's the Ironball SE with more bells and whistles, but the gain boost on that one is really more for very saturated lead playing, whereas the regular Ironball has a better chosen boost (less thick) tone. The SE has a nice delay on board and you can toggle the fx-loop with a (MIDI) pedal, which is a big plus. And has IRs on board as well... Powersoak works really well too.

A lot of features crammed on the back of the SE.
engl-e606se-ironball-special-edition-back1_GIT0053172-000.jpg
i am open to small or larger heads. the ironball se seems like a lot of amp for the $$. thanks!

Back