Epiphone Les Paul Special $450 vs a Gibson at $1800?

GearGasms

Doctor Love
This is a great example of having your mind completely changed about something. This Epiphone Les Paul Special retails for $449 and I really didn't expect much. I have been looking at the Gibson version, which is literally 4X the price of this. How much was my mind changed about this guitar? That is revealed at the end of the video, like any good YouToober Pinhead would do!
Special thanks to Earle Teat Music in Delmar, Delaware for letting me foster this beauty for a few days!!
Shop local, wherever you are!
Have a Mediocre Weekend, everyone!
alan

Thanks for taking the time to share with us again, Alan! Just picked up a LP BFG not too long ago, and am loving the P90s. The yellow special has been on my list for a while, but mainly buy used and that market mostly consists of 120th anniversary :bleh: or 2015 chunky boys necks. Might need to take a stroll down to the shop and check out these Epis!

I bought one of these late 2022.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EIXPEBNH--epiphone-explorer-ebony
After finding myself unemployed for 3.5 months last year and taking a massive pay cut at my new job, I'm more budget minded than ever. I do have a 1999 Gibson Gothic Explorer to compare this to. While it's not a "Gibson", it's as every bit a fine player. It feels, sounds, and plays great as stock. Sure, I'd love for it to say "Gibson" on the headstock, but for what it is, I can't complain even a little.

Before I lost the job, I bought an EPI LP Prophecy. Same situation, except the pickups (I don't like the Fishman). The guitar plays & looks great. While there's really no comparison with my Gibson LP Custom, I'd rather play the Epiphone and save the self-hatred due to dings and scratches. I still play it, just not on gig night. It's all a matter of perspective and money. It's funny what we find "acceptable" when it comes down to it. :2thumbsup:

Thanks for taking the time to share with us again, Alan! Just picked up a LP BFG not too long ago, and am loving the P90s. The yellow special has been on my list for a while, but mainly buy used and that market mostly consists of 120th anniversary :bleh: or 2015 chunky boys necks. Might need to take a stroll down to the shop and check out these Epis!
Yeah it's a chunky neck but not overly so. I love it!

At the end he literally says he doesn't know because he's never actually played the Gibson version to truly compare. Saved you a click.
Glad you could make it over from TGP! :p I have played quite a few other Gibsons though, and I will definitely try to get my hands on this exact model.

My as well go for the Gibson if that’s what you really want and you are just trying to justify getting the cheaper guitar. If you get the Epi and like it you will still be kicking yourself for not just buying the Gibson and will probably end up just buying one down the road.

My as well go for the Gibson if that’s what you really want and you are just trying to justify getting the cheaper guitar. If you get the Epi and like it you will still be kicking yourself for not just buying the Gibson and will probably end up just buying one down the road.
In many cases, yes. In this case, no.

I wish Epiphones were essentially the same as Gibson's but there is a lot of corner cutting for them to come out at it's much lower price point .

I was shocked when I saw the EPI Korina Explorers because I thought what an outstanding deal until I found out that only a very small percentage of it was real Korina . While the surface area's are apparently Korina the meat of the guitar is something else entirely and I don't know what it is but it's definitely not 100% real Korina.

Not necessarily a terrible thing because the Gibson Korina Explorers are some of the most ridiculously overpriced guitars I've ever seen, 10K ? They can't be serious .

I have the LPS above - “Inspired by G” model. I think I paid $300 for it? Worth every penny! I did put some Hipshot locking tuners on it, which I do with pretty much everything these days, but beyond that, no mods, and it’s probably one of my main players now. I like the burly neck quite a bit, and the pickups hold their own. If you can find one second hand, grab it! Should be able to get them cheap on the used market since they are “beginner” guitars which tend to be bought for Junior, played for a month, and then abandoned for Insta and TikTok.

Great rock guitars if you can get by the headstock name!

Back