Ernie Ball strings

gruggmanny

Banned
Never again. These things sound ass both acoustically and thru my rig get the fuck off the airwaves.

GHS and Curt Mangan supremacy. Fuck the cunts who replaced GHS with EB in their stock so had to go with these this time. Guess I have to order them online from now on.

Feel free to recommend other string brands with a bluesy vibe: round core, pure nickel etc.

Never again. These things sound ass both acoustically and thru my rig get the fuck off the airwaves.

GHS and Curt Mangan supremacy. Fuck the cunts who replaced GHS with EB in their stock so had to go with these this time. Guess I have to order them online from now on.

Feel free to recommend other string brands with a bluesy vibe: round core, pure nickel etc.

I'm pretty sure basically all of the string brands are made by the same company lol

I like NYXLs, but if you want pure nickels i would probably do stringjoy or something?

I think it's a you thing. Any of the main string brands are fine for most commons.

Yep. All of the major brands have their upsides and downsides. I love the GHS feel but I break them constantly. I don't like Ernie Balls for guitar, but love them for bass. I was on the warped tour when the NYXLs first came out and D'Addario passed them out like candy to all the artists, and I was hooked ever since. They last forever and sound new for 2-3 months, and I very rarely break them, even with my super abusive heavy handed lead technique

Each to their own, but these sound really harsh.
Go with round core like ghs boomers then. I use the boomers on a couple guitars that are naturally really bright and wide/scooped.

The boomers with their round cores seem to have a bit more to the mids and are a bit less open-sounding in the top and bottom vs most hex-cores.

I've never really felt that much of a difference between the major brands unless they are coated or some different material like the cobalts, stainless, etc. I usually get the cheapest I can find as long as it is a well known brand.

Go with round core like ghs boomers then. I use the boomers on a couple guitars that are naturally really bright and wide/scooped.

The boomers with their round cores seem to have a bit more to the mids and are a bit less open-sounding in the top and bottom vs most hex-cores.
Will do or Curt Mangan Round cores, depending on availability

I mostly use DRs and Dunlops....Did just try some Veritas and like them...I've been meaning to try the Mangans as well.

GHS is kinda the benchmark for decent strings..never been blown away by them...ditto for Ernies.

I gigged GHS boomers for many years and they never held up and I always broke them at the nut. I switched to EB long ago and have used them ever since. No they don’t sound new long but they last and are stable for a VERY long time before they start unreliably going out of tune. I honestly haven’t felt a reason to change to whatever’s popular month to month. They do what I need them to do. I do wish they kept their new sound longer and that’s it.

Thomastik Infeld. I use their “metal” sets, but their products are top notch.

Main strings are DR Titefit 10-46. I do like the NYXL strings but for the price I get 2 Titefit for the price of 1 NYXL.

I tried EB Slinky 10-46 years ago and again recently.. EBs went on the guitar.. 30 minutes later took them out and put DRs back on.

Last edited:
I normally just play whatever and don't mind but I really dislike EB strings. Maybe they just die too quickly just they just do not sound right to me. Lack of snap/attack I think.

I’ll caveat I used EB for reliability when it mattered most and other brands hand not existed yet. If anyone can vouch for the feel of EB in a different brand but with the same reliability and better new like sound I’d change in a heartbeat lol

I use EB RPS strings on my Kaizens and Majesty; they work great. For everything else, cheap EHX strings are fine, 9's and 10s.

StringJoy is worth a look if you want something good and custom, I use custom Hendrix sets for my strat for example (10, 13, 15, 26w, 32w, 38w), and they finally have wound 3rd string sets for my jazz box

I hate Ernie Balls. I hate them so much, I threw 3 unused packs in the trash, after thinking I'd try them again. They threw my intonation totally out of whack in addition to just being terrible.

I don't like Ernie Balls either much for electric. I found the high strings broke more often than other brands except for Fender branded stuff. However I have always been a deep appreciator of their Ernie Ball Earthwood acoustic strings.

I am a fan of LaBellas for my electrics.

I’ll caveat I used EB for reliability when it mattered most and other brands hand not existed yet. If anyone can vouch for the feel of EB in a different brand but with the same reliability and better new like sound I’d change in a heartbeat
I can't speak to feel, but NYXL's seem to last a good while. I buy 'em 'cause I think I get at least twice the mileage of EB's so I'm either breaking even or getting a bit more bang for my buck. Admittedly though I play a set long past when it has the new sound, so I haven't tracked how much the "new sound" period of time differs. For me it's just been time 'till string changes that I pay attention to.

Back