Exciter or Sonic Maximizer?

Not really the same thing. An exciter produces harmonic distortion and the BBEs primarily work by delaying different frequencies different amounts.

No completely different.

Exciter are better than maximizers. Maximizers are pretty awful, full of phase distortions.

Exciters are harmonics based.

You dont need either.

moltenmetalburn":re1ufgb8 said:
No completely different.

Exciter are better than maximizers. Maximizers are pretty awful, full of phase distortions.

Exciters are harmonics based.

You dont need either.

Preach it,my brother!!!
If you really feel the need to "maximize" your sound,use an eq. Just my opinion of course.

I agree with the above posters. I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer sitting on a shelf in my basement because it just takes away too much. When you're young, you buy one and put it in your rack and think, yeah, this kicks ass. It adds depth and mids (I don't know the exact frequencies), but it sounds fuller. But there is also a chorus type of sound that goes with it...processed for lack of a better word. You play it for a few years, you think that you're rocking, and one day you decide to try it without it. At first your tone sounds thin, so you click it back on. Maybe the next day, you try it again without, there is just something different without, more organic. By the third day, you start with it off, and when you turn it on, you can't unhear that sound, and you think, why did I use this thing at all.

The Aphex Exciter with Big Bottom is fantastic for bass! The Big Bottom doesn't really help with guitar. The Aural Exciter side, used sparingly, can do some nice things for guitar, but you need to have the frequency knob set fully counter clockwise to touch the high mids. It doesn't touch anything in the mids.

shredhead7":3du2p4r1 said:
I agree with the above posters. I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer sitting on a shelf in my basement because it just takes away too much. When you're young, you buy one and put it in your rack and think, yeah, this kicks ass. It adds depth and mids (I don't know the exact frequencies), but it sounds fuller. But there is also a chorus type of sound that goes with it...processed for lack of a better word. You play it for a few years, you think that you're rocking, and one day you decide to try it without it. At first your tone sounds thin, so you click it back on. Maybe the next day, you try it again without, there is just something different without, more organic. By the third day, you start with it off, and when you turn it on, you can't unhear that sound, and you think, why did I use this thing at all.

Best description of the expericence I have ever read. Spot on. :rock:

First I want to say that I am accepting all Maximizers that are headed for the trash.

With that said I have never used an exciter, only in a DAW and I kind of liked what it did in that scenario. I had the basic BBE Maximizer and it is basically like what shredhead stated. At first I was like WOA this is amazing but then after a while you start to hear the bad and decide it is not a good unit for guitar. I think it is made for bass or home theater anyway maybe?

If you decide you are going to get one regardless I would try the exciter if it were me.

I don't think it's even worth the shipping fees
It does rock in home stereos, maybe I'll dust it off & try that again
Guitar? NO

shredhead7":1dnv0spj said:
Holy shit dude, it's like you're in my head. :LOL: :LOL: :thumbsup:

While I don´t agree 100% with the unanimous bashing the Maximizers always get, it´s definitely neither for everyone nor for every sound and it´s super easy to process way too heavily. They originally found their way into guitar systems to add some sparkle to solidstate power amps and to spread out the tone of mid-heavy clean channels, basically as a flavor of the month alternative to EQs that did have its uses.

The BBE sounds huge in your bedroom, but in a band context, it kills all your ability to cut through and you magically dissapear in the mix ;)

Yeah, Steve Lukather once called them like cocaine for your tone - feels awesome but isn´t good for you in the long run ;)

... and this, of course, was during a time when Luke really could tell you a thing or two about cocaine :LOL: :LOL:

Back