Favorite Power Tubes for your VH4?

Bullseye

Summer is here and I want to experiment! Please give me some of your favorite power tubes for the mighty VH4. I currently have Ruby EL 34 tubes.

Please let me know what you think!

Best wishes,

Bullseye

:|::QBB:
Bullseye":c1069 said:
Summer is here and I want to experiment! Please give me some of your favorite power tubes for the mighty VH4. I currently have Ruby EL 34 tubes.

Please let me know what you think!

Best wishes,

Bullseye

I had EH EL34 changed to Ruby and generally I'm very pleased.
I have the suspicion that EH break up a bit earlier than Ruby and that Ruby give a bit more headroom which I like. I may be wrong I don't know.

Thanks brother! I have mine biased around 32ma per tube, where do you have yours set?

Any other tube suggestions?

Best wishes,

Bullseye

My favorites are the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR tubes. I've also tried SED "Winged C" 6L6s, Ruby EL34s, and Electro Harmonix 6L6s.

I loved ch 1 with the SEDs, but ch 3 and 4 were too smooth, where definition was lacking. The Ruby EL34s sounded very good on ch 3 and 4, but ch 1 was sorely lacking. Also, they died on me within just a few months (biased at 31 mA).

The Ruby 6L6s sound "just right." They have the full clean tone in ch 1, as well as a big sound in ch 3 and 4, but retain definition. In the end, I think I'm a 6L6 guy, and the Ruby 6L6s are my favorites. :D

Do the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR offer the same Bass response? If not how are they different? Also, do you remeber how the bias was set on those bad boys?

Best wishes,

Bullseye

To my ears the Ruby 6L6s offer about the same bass as the SED 6L6s (a LOT). They both have significantly more bass than the Ruby EL34s.

More bass without getting too mushy? Do the Ruby 6L6s offer enough mids to cut through in a band situation?

Best wishes,

Bullseye

Well I always run a parametric EQ in the effects loop so it might be hard for me to say if they offer enough mids on their own. But overall tonally they're my favorites of everything I've tried. :cool:

I'm a 6L6 fan and getting ready to make some tube changes. I've been reading a lot of reviews lately across the web and am leaning towards trying a matched quad of the TAD 6L6GC-STR (Black plates).

It's a tough call because everyone's ears & tastes are different and the VH4(S) is a much different animal than most. It's really nice to be able to read what tubes you guys have been rolling in yours and learn of your findings. It's this kind of stuff that makes this forum so valuable!

BTW - one of the key issues is of course what bias settings are used. I have favored hotter settings (~50ma) because my ears agree with alot of what I've read about it, but then all my prior experience was with Rivera and TopHat amps so can't say for sure whether my VH4S will appreciate the same. Anybody played around this hot??

Some interesting links to ponder:

http://www.vacuumtube.com/guitartubes.htm

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?products_id=819&language=en

Attachments

• TAD6L6GC-STR.jpg
    TAD6L6GC-STR.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 871
Based on the description the TAD 6L6GC-STR sounds like a good tube to try for the VH4. I haven't tried it, but I'd be interested to hear your impression of it!

I'd set the bias at a "normal" level (around 31-32mA). Biasing hotter, to my ears, results in more bass and less high end. The VH4 is very bassy already, and loves the extra definition that a lower bias setting gives. When I biased it high, it sounded muddy.

Just went to replace my Ruby 6L6's with another set and it seems I had a bad tube (or multiple bad tubes). Even with the bias trimmer all the way down I couldn't get it below 40mA per tube! I turned the bias trimmer up to about midpoint and then blew a fuse on the amp. I had purchased this set from an online store that I've had other problems with - not buying any more from them!

It's a good time to give some other tubes a try so I ordered a set of the TAD 6L6GC-STR tubes. I'll have them in a few days and post a review towards the end of the week.

Hey Guitarobert,

I just picked up a set of the Ruby 6L6GC MSTR and the VH4 sounds great! Thank you for the recommendation, I am very greatful. I'm sorry to hear you got a bad set.

Please let us know which online store we should be staying away from.

Good luck with the TAD tubes and if you could give us a comparrison to the Rubys you used to have that would be great.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Best wishes,

Bullseye

Hi Bullseye,

Good to hear those tubes are working out well for you! I love how they sound too. It's a big difference from the EL34's, huh?

I'll most likely come back to the Ruby 6L6's, but I enjoy experimenting (see the list I've already been through above) so I figured I'd give the TADs a try. Like I said, I'll post comments, especially in regards to how they sound compared to the Ruby 6L6's.

I usually buy from dougstubes, and have always had a good experience with him. I bought this last set of Ruby 6L6's from musiciansfriend because the other store was out of stock. Maybe they mixed up the tube boxes, but none of the numbers on the labels were even matching up. I haven't encountered this before, but like I said I couldn't get the bias setting anywhere near where it should be. :confused:

I just got mine from Musician's Friend! I was dissapointed in the packaging: a cardbord box with cruppled up piece of paper to take up space (no peanuts or any foam) and then the tube box was just clunking around the shipping box.

There price was so cheap, I had to go with them to try the tubes.

Did you ask them to send you another set? I know they have a good return policy and that Ruby tubes are guaranteed for 90 days so maybe they can help you out.

I'm excited to hear about the TAD tubes.

You were so right about the Ruby 6L6s! They are smooth, thick and not too scratchy like the EL34s. I ended up biasing the amp around 31ma and sounds just right to my ears.

Best wishes,

Bullseye

No need to worry about the set you got though. The first set I installed was also from Musicians Friend, and they worked perfectly! I had ordered two sets and I guess the second set was bad. As long as the ones you installed are working you should have the same great experience I had with the first set I installed. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear they're working out well! I should have the TADs soon. I'll post comments within the coming days.

Sorry to bail out on the thread for a couple weeks guys... glad to see it's going strong with new input. Unfortunately my TAD test was hijacked by a preamp test first ... got some NOS Mullards and Telefunkens that I couldn't resist testing, but I'll save that for a preamp thread.

I'd had a bad experience with Ruby tubes a few years back but reading opinions here and elsewhere perhaps I should check them out again. I like details and science as well as earpinions, and if you do as well check out the "Ruby Tubes / Magic Parts 6L6GCMSTR Tube Test" found @
http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/6v6.html
Reviewer agrees with Bullseye's findings.

Looks like the TADs will have to be a monthend project for me now so perhaps Guitarobert will beat me to a test report.

CHEERS!

A new musing ... I wonder how EL84 tubes would fair in a VH4(S)? Those yellowjacket adapters are a cool idea and I've loved the DrZ EL84 amps I've played over the years (nothing at all as versatile as a Diezel). Would definitely have to add a fan though cuz they're the hottest tubes I know of.

I got the TAD 6L6GCSTR's in and have had some time to play with them. Whoa! These are good! I'm not knocking the Ruby's, but these have a very distinct character that took a step in the direction I was looking to go.

On channel 3 and 4, the TADs are chunkier than the Ruby's, especially in the high end. If you play a heavy low-end power chord riff, you can hear the pick releases really well. There's a lot of definition. It could almost be described as compression on the transients, if that makes any sense.

The low-end of the TADs is nice too. It's more of a grinding type of tone, a slight departure from the smoothness of other 6L6s I've tried. I can see why TAD mentioned nu-metal in their blurb on these. You could get there if you wanted to dial that tone in.

Channel 4 in particular turns into something beastly heavy. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than that, but I like it. :yes:

Channel 2 might have suffered slightly with these tubes. I'd say channel 2 likes something a bit more smooth. I have to keep the gain down just a bit lower now.

Channel 1 sounds beautiful. It's clear, airy, defined, very BIG, but without being boomy. There's a lot of high-end shimmer as well, but without being harsh.

I've been running Shuguang 12AX7s. I tried a "Mullard Reissue" which was just released in V1. Too smooth for me. I went back to Shuguangs for all preamp spots. The combination of those and the TAD 6L6s is really nice. Especially for channel 3 and 4, it results in some really great responses on pick attack/release.

Bottom line, I'd highly recommend these. I'll probably try a set of Ruby's again in the future. But the TADs are worth a shot for your next set if you're looking to experiment. These have made my VH4 sound the most unique out of all the tubes I have tried. :thumbsup:

Back