Feeling some kind of way right now about Splawn..

War_in_D

Been holding off posting this for a while, but I think it's time. Sorry for the long read.

First off, I love my Splawn amps and cabs. I have no plans to ever get rid of them. I've bought two of my heads brand new, knowing that I could have probably bought used for significantly less but I wanted to support Scott because he seems like a really good guy and honestly I liked the Christian aspect of his business model. Being a Christian myself, I like to support Christian owned businesses.

But, going forward I just can't support or recommend his business to others any longer. In the past, he's always been great about customer support and service when I've had questions or called, but it's been 19 weeks since I received my 22 watt Quick Rod on September 30th that had a damaged head shell, and I'm still waiting on a replacement.

I let Scott know on Sept. 30th that I received the amp and that it was damaged, and got this repsonse "Wow I have never had issues like this and I have shipped over 150 units this year alone. I will start working on another box." I'm sure he was frustrated, becasuse this was the second time that an amp had gotten damaged between NC and AR where I live. My Nitro that he modded to "fully loaded" specs got damaged too and arrived DOA to me (transformer bent and the fuse holder got broke), and had to be returned to be repaired. That whole ordeal with modding the Nitro took about 3 months start to finish, and it really began to frustrate me too but seeing as how he kind of took that in when he wasn't really doing mods anymore... I more or less bit my tongue on that one, feeling that I was pretty lucky that he agreed to do it. There were some other smaller issues that went on with that whole Nitro deal too, but that's another story. To Scott's credit, he paid for shipping both ways on the Nitro repair and took care of me on that one. That was a big part of why I decided to have him build me that 22 watt QR, because he took care of me on that Nitro issue.

That being said, and I never said anything to Scott about this because I saw no need to add insult to injury.. but that 22 watt QR was packed horribly. I ordered that amp in the mid-sized head shell, but was put into one of the full sized head shell cardboard boxed when it shipped and there was very minimal packing material around the head to keep it from shifting around inside that full sized head shell box during transit. It wasn't in there securely at all and I'm sure it was moving all around inside that inner box during shipment.

Anyway, that was on Sept 30th when the damaged QR showed up and he said he would start working on another box. So, I waited.. and waited.. and waited. Nothing for two months. I reached out Scott on Dec 6th, asking for an update and was told "Sorry about the delay. I was waiting on plywood when it happened and I forgot about it. I will get one ready for you."

I though "Wow.. forgot about it?!" But then I thought, you know what.. I'm sure he's busy so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Over the next day or two, there were a few emails back and forth discussing the front/rear panels and if I could reuse the ones that came with the amp. These panels weren't damaged, and Scott said they were easily removed and replaced so I told him I would use the ones I had so he didn't have to make new front/rear panels. You know, it's bad enough he's going to be out the time, materials and shipping to replace the head shell so I thought I'd at least try to make it a little easier for him and maybe save him some time and money.

Fast forward another 6 weeks to Jan 18th, still no head shell. So I contact Scott again for an update. No reponse. Emailed again on Jan 21st, asking for an update and he responds saying "I am working on it now. I will get it out to you next week."

Well, here we are... will be another 3 weeks tomorrow since that last email and I still don't have a replacement head shell. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but I'm just really disappointed.

Anyway, I hate to be a downer but I'm just venting. Bums me out.

delays do really suck , I dropped off a guitar with my luthier 6 weeks ago. I called him last week and he said "wow has it been 5 weeks already?" he hadn't even started on it, but he is the best around here and I trust no one else to do a refret for me , so I just smile and say "no problem just keep me posted". When I dropped off my guitar he had piles of them waiting to be worked on.
In the current environment we're in with back orders , supply issues shipping etc. we don't know if he has back orders piled up, financial issues of his own because of the lock down nonsense, any number of things could be going on we don't know about.
I hear you and it does suck, but Scott has been so good to so many for so long, I've got think delays now may be just due to issues out of his control. (I hope so anyway)

I hear you and it does suck, but Scott has been so good to so many for so long, I've got think delays now may be just due to issues out of his control. (I hope so anyway)

Agreed. As I said, Scott was always good about answering questions, emails, etc.. and I don't want this to turn into a Splawn bashing thread, as that wasn't my intention. I do honestly believe that there is no malice in Scott's actions, or inactions. I'm just frustrated. I'm a pretty patient person, but I also take people at their word. If you tell me "I'll start working on another box" and "I will get one ready for you" and "I'll get it out to you next week".. and it's 19 weeks later, and no head shell. Well... I'll just say there is a limit to my patience.

Sorry man. Scott has one of the best customer service records in the business so I feel for ya.

I have not spoke to him in a while and purposely decided not to bother him because I know he is super busy. That and I didn't buy my amp new. He could have told me to flip off a long time ago and it really wouldn't have been any skin off my back. We were in the mode for a bit there a few years ago where he was going to send me build pics so I could post them in the Splawn proboard forum and that dried up. I remember when he had to go down to a 1 man shop due to business 'climate'. I'm sure he hated that but had no choice. I'm actually curious if maybe he has hired someone to help? Maybe someone less experienced? Maybe someone to help him answer emails? Maybe someone to help him pack and ship stuff? Have you tried calling? Like 6pm? Super super swell guy with one of the best customer service records in the business. Maybe to a fault you know? He may have inadvertently dug a hole.

Bummer! First QR I bought used was great, loved it. I did not have such great luck with Splawn the 2nd time around. Had a bum QR I bought used but was less than a year old and Scott was not much help. I know others have had great luck with his cust service, but I didn't.

Nah, I haven't called this time around and I won't. If it were an amp or something of significant value, I'd be calling asking questions believe me. LOL But, for a head shell.. I guess at this point, it'll get here when it gets here. I'm sure I'll receive it, just don't know why it has to be such an ordeal. The fact is, that the amp was damaged in shipping. It sucks for everyone involved, but it's not my fault that it got damaged. I ordered, I paid and I waited for it to ship. As far as I'm concerned, I've held up my end of the bargain and I owe nothing. I received a damaged amp that probably could have been avoided if it had been packed better, so take care of the problem. Period. Don't make the customer wait (going on 5 months now) for a replacement head shell. I can understand and forgive a lot, especially given the current climate and supply chain issues, etc. My real issue here is with all "the check is in the mail" repsonses I've gotten, and then no follow up on it. Things like that only serve to put a bad taste in the mouth of the customer and does not equate to good customer service. JMHO

Nah, I haven't called this time around and I won't. If it were an amp or something of significant value, I'd be calling asking questions believe me. LOL But, for a head shell.. I guess at this point, it'll get here when it gets here. I'm sure I'll receive it, just don't know why it has to be such an ordeal. The fact is, that the amp was damaged in shipping. It sucks for everyone involved, but it's not my fault that it got damaged. I ordered, I paid and I waited for it to ship. As far as I'm concerned, I've held up my end of the bargain and I owe nothing. I received a damaged amp that probably could have been avoided if it had been packed better, so take care of the problem. Period. Don't make the customer wait (going on 5 months now) for a replacement head shell. I can understand and forgive a lot, especially given the current climate and supply chain issues, etc. My real issue here is with all "the check is in the mail" repsonses I've gotten, and then no follow up on it. Things like that only serve to put a bad taste in the mouth of the customer and does not equate to good customer service. JMHO
Is that your snake skin SuperSport I seen on Craigslist?

Back