Fender Guru's, I need your help. 1968 Fender Deluxe Reverb.

I have the chance to pick up a 1968 Deluxe Reverb Drip Edge in 9/10 condition. 100% original. The trade was going to be my Marshall TSL 100 Head, Marshall Mode Four 4x12 Cabinet, and a Taylot 310ce acoustic, all in good condition but not mint. Is there anything I should be looking for, watching out for, ect. Would it be a good trade? I was going to meet him tomorrow but I am having second thoughts. I never really use the gear I have now but money wise I'm not sure if it's a good deal on my part being I haven't found a recent value on the Deluxe Reverbs.
Another thing I thought of was to get a reissue and have it modded to blackface specs. I know I am all over the place right now. I just have GAS for a fender amp for some reason. So on that note, any info is appreciated.

I wouldnt trade all that for a deluxe reverb. They are only goin around 1500-1800 range in the dead mint variety, and Ive got quite a few old fender amps. If you do, play it first and make sure thats what you want.

SDMF38":mswcks90 said:
I wouldnt trade all that for a deluxe reverb. They are only goin around 1500-1800 range in the dead mint variety, and Ive got quite a few old fender amps. If you do, play it first and make sure thats what you want.

Do you have one? I see all kinds of great reviews blackface circuitry deluxe's.

One of my main amps is a '68 Deluxe Reverb. One of the best blues/rock amps ever made. The '68s are essentially the same as the blackface models. I've tweaked mine a bit but they're still awesome stock.

Had one up until about a month ago. It had a great blues sound, but I got a great offer for it and took it.

I don't think that trade is very good, it seems like with the taylor you are giving up too much. Make sure when you are buying a vintage amp that the amp has a 3 prong cord and has the electrolytic caps replaced. If you look where the tubes are, there is a metal box, that has the large electrolytic caps. Those are typically leaking and hopefully they have been replaced. Also check what the stock speaker is.

I do really like early SF dripedge Fenders, but you need to know what you are looking at before you buy or trade. If you can post pictures, folks like myself can check out the amp and let you know what has been replaced and what might need to be replaced.

blackba":2eaibtkw said:
I don't think that trade is very good, it seems like with the taylor you are giving up too much. Make sure when you are buying a vintage amp that the amp has a 3 prong cord and has the electrolytic caps replaced. If you look where the tubes are, there is a metal box, that has the large electrolytic caps. Those are typically leaking and hopefully they have been replaced. Also check what the stock speaker is.

I do really like early SF dripedge Fenders, but you need to know what you are looking at before you buy or trade. If you can post pictures, folks like myself can check out the amp and let you know what has been replaced and what might need to be replaced.

I did feel like I was giving up a lot in the trade but I have some HUGE gas for an old fender deluxe for some reason. After reading some of the post on here I think I am gonna pass on it. The guy is now not returning e-mails and that right there is a bad sign to me.

renegade5150":17ns3phg said:
blackba":17ns3phg said:

I did feel like I was giving up a lot in the trade but I have some HUGE gas for an old fender deluxe for some reason. After reading some of the post on here I think I am gonna pass on it. The guy is now not returning e-mails and that right there is a bad sign to me.

A friend of mine has a '67 BF Deluxe reverb, awesome amp. I never compared it head to head with the DRRI I used to have, but from memory the DRRI sounded brittle and thin by comparison. I understand your GAS, if my friend ever sells the '67 DR, I told him to let me know. :)

That is a bad trade. The Deluxe reverb is worth owning but not if you are going to give away the farm. if i were you and i really wanted a deluxe i would just go on ebay and get the used reissue. you wont be upset and there are a million of them. you could also look into getting a twin reverb or a super reverb ( the super is my fav!).

HerbieBoogie":2hgogqok said:
That is a bad trade. The Deluxe reverb is worth owning but not if you are going to give away the farm. if i were you and i really wanted a deluxe i would just go on ebay and get the used reissue. you wont be upset and there are a million of them. you could also look into getting a twin reverb or a super reverb ( the super is my fav!).

I have seen a lot of people talking about getting the DRRI and changing the speaker, some new tubes and presto! you have a nice "fender sounding" amp. I like the idea of getting an original, like a lot of others, and saw the 68 and got excited.

renegade5150":lnuwb05m said:
HerbieBoogie":lnuwb05m said:

I have seen a lot of people talking about getting the DRRI and changing the speaker, some new tubes and presto! you have a nice "fender sounding" amp. I like the idea of getting an original, like a lot of others, and saw the 68 and got excited.

i definitely get excited over vintage equipment like that. you can do better though!

I know that you seem to be set on the "vintage fender" thing, and thats cool, but for some blackface goodness that doesn't have the hassles of trying to buy a good vintage fender to go along with, check out ToneKing amps. I'm a metal guy through and through but lately I have been a GAS'n for the same blackface tones as you and one day soon I will own a Tone King of some kind....

Back