Floyd nut for MIJ Charvel So Cal?

gtrlw

I bought a MIJ So Cal and the prio owner had replaced all the black hardware with chrome hardware. The strings (especialy the high E) seem too high at the nut and I can’t get the action as low as I prefer.

Does anyone know what the correct Floyd nut is so that I can replace it?

Thanks

gtrlw":wls82q8d said:
I bought a MIJ So Cal and the prio owner had replaced all the black hardware with chrome hardware. The strings (especialy the high E) seem too high at the nut and I can’t get the action as low as I prefer.

Does anyone know what the correct Floyd nut is so that I can replace it?

Thanks

I would ask Chubtone. He should know or ask the original owner, if you bought it here on RT. I have the same guitar but left the Floyd alone except for adding a Big Brass Block.

I can tell you this from experience, as i had the same issue. The Chrome OFR replacement nut sat a tiny bit higher than where it should, making the strings too high at the nut.

I had to take a small file and take the nut shelf down a TINY amount. Barely 1mm or so. I'm talking just a few light passes with the file, then test fit the nut again to see if it's lowered just enough. Repeat until it's all good. Might sound daunting to someone who doesn't work on their own guitars, but honestly it took all of 5 mins and it was fine.

R3 nut is the correct size. And what Dan said above is the right procedure if the nut is sitting too high. Go slowly and test fit or next you'll be asking us what to use to shim the nut up higher.

Good luck.

Have you already removed the FR nut that the previous owner installed?

The previous owner might have shimmed it, and in that case it would be a simple fix, by just removing the shim.

It's safer to file the nut to fit the neck than vice-versa. Nuts are cheaper and easier to replace than necks, after all.

OUTLAW1969":4fm502g6 said:
Have you already removed the FR nut that the previous owner installed?

The previous owner might have shimmed it, and in that case it would be a simple fix, by just removing the shim.

I assumed it was shimmed until I removed it last night. No such luck.

MrDan666":18tcdf2u said:
I can tell you this from experience, as i had the same issue. The Chrome OFR replacement nut sat a tiny bit higher than where it should, making the strings too high at the nut.

I had to take a small file and take the nut shelf down a TINY amount. Barely 1mm or so. I'm talking just a few light passes with the file, then test fit the nut again to see if it's lowered just enough. Repeat until it's all good. Might sound daunting to someone who doesn't work on their own guitars, but honestly it took all of 5 mins and it was fine.

Thanks. I will try an R3 and is that doesn't do the trick, I may have the balls to try this. :thumbsup:

Chubtone":3soxqx99 said:
R3 nut is the correct size. And what Dan said above is the right procedure if the nut is sitting too high. Go slowly and test fit or next you'll be asking us what to use to shim the nut up higher.

Good luck.

gtrlw":3tmwo4er said:
Thanks. I will try an R3 and is that doesn't do the trick, I may have the balls to try this. :thumbsup:

Mine is an R3 nut too, it was still too high. As i said though, it won't take you 2 minutes to fix it though :)

Back