Friedman Dirty shirley mini ,Pink taco or wait for the Runt?

I am thinking of getting a friedman mini and wanted to ask which one for the best old VH tone and what celestion gels best with these heads?
the creamback 65M(as supplied in friedmans 1x12) or the greenback?
The greenback would be a "hellatone 30" from avatar in one of their contemporary 1 x12 cabs?
Looking for a old 78-79 VH type of tone.

OK, I know a little bit about both amps and this is what I can tell you. I recommend the Creamback over the Greenback for the mini Shirley, but other way around for the Pink Taco. I think that i actually like the G12H-30 a bit more and have been getting great results with it from a variety of amps. I have cranked both the Mini Shirley and Pink Taco with the DS cab and the PT cab. The low end of the Mini Shirley seems to be a little pickier about speakers than the Pink Taco. I know the Pink Taco well and have spent probably an hour with the mini Shirley. I would say the Shirley benefits from a lower wattage speaker, probably like 15 to 30 watts as it seems to give up the good dirt as lower volume than the Pink Taco. I was never able to get much from the Pink Taco unless it was louder than home practice volume. Just my 2 cents, my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

SavageRiffer":2qkmyr8r said:
OK, I know a little bit about both amps and this is what I can tell you. I recommend the Creamback over the Greenback for the mini Shirley, but other way around for the Pink Taco. I think that i actually like the G12H-30 a bit more and have been getting great results with it from a variety of amps. I have cranked both the Mini Shirley and Pink Taco with the DS cab and the PT cab. The low end of the Mini Shirley seems to be a little pickier about speakers than the Pink Taco. I know the Pink Taco well and have spent probably an hour with the mini Shirley. I would say the Shirley benefits from a lower wattage speaker, probably like 15 to 30 watts as it seems to give up the good dirt as lower volume than the Pink Taco. I was never able to get much from the Pink Taco unless it was louder than home practice volume. Just my 2 cents, my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
very good to know :thumbsup: Do you think i should hold off and get the RUNT?
I am a huge BE-100 lover and heard the RUNT is based on it?
They are taking pre-orders for the runt now.
I am looking for the one that will do the old 1978-1981 VH tone the closest?

charvelstrat81":2lym2e24 said:
SavageRiffer":2lym2e24 said:

I only know the Runt is a PCB version of the Smallbox or something. However, I owned a Smallbox for several weeks, so I know a lot about it. I think the Dirty Shirley at Pink Taco are VERY good for the money. The Pink Taco maybe a bit more versatile. To me the Smallbox was kind of bright Marshall deal that really shined with moderate volume. The plexi channel is only so-so until you feed some volume to it, then it's outstanding. The gain channel of the Pink Taco and the Smallbox are similar, but I actually prefer the feel and sound of the Pink Taco. Both the mini Shirley and Pink Taco have great low end, so you can drive a 4x12 and play all around town. The Smallbox loved pedals, but it's so much fun to play the Pink Taco because it sounds so damned good and you can play it pretty much anywhere.

In my opinion, unless you need to additional channel or functionality, you're going to get a LOT from the minis and you'll save a ton of cash. They're loud man. I like the Dirty Shirley mini more than the full size. The Runt, from what I've heard of pricing, will still be $400-500 more than the minis. I'd suggest sticking with it since you already seem to have gone for it anyway. It's a really, really good amp.

charvelstrat81":2plogggg said:
I am thinking of getting a DS mini and wanted to ask which celestion gels best with this head?
The greenback would be a "hellatone 30" from avatar in one of their contemporary 1 x12 cabs?

There was a guy at my local GC a few months ago playing the Pink Taco thru it`s 1x12 cab which I think has a V30 and that amp was doing a very convincing job on Somebody Get Me A Doctor , he had the gain around noon and it sounded really good

SavageRiffer":94njh4te said:
charvelstrat81":94njh4te said:
SavageRiffer":94njh4te said:

I only know the Runt is a PCB version of the Smallbox or something. However, I owned a Smallbox for several weeks, so I know a lot about it. I think the Dirty Shirley at Pink Taco are VERY good for the money. The Pink Taco maybe a bit more versatile. To me the Smallbox was kind of bright Marshall deal that really shined with moderate volume. The plexi channel is only so-so until you feed some volume to it, then it's outstanding. The gain channel of the Pink Taco and the Smallbox are similar, but I actually prefer the feel and sound of the Pink Taco. Both the mini Shirley and Pink Taco have great low end, so you can drive a 4x12 and play all around town. The Smallbox loved pedals, but it's so much fun to play the Pink Taco because it sounds so damned good and you can play it pretty much anywhere.

In my opinion, unless you need to additional channel or functionality, you're going to get a LOT from the minis and you'll save a ton of cash. They're loud man. I like the Dirty Shirley mini more than the full size. The Runt, from what I've heard of pricing, will still be $400-500 more than the minis. I'd suggest sticking with it since you already seem to have gone for it anyway. It's a really, really good amp.

The RUNT is based on the BE-100 and is cheaper at $1299 for the 20 W head

hammered":2ajc1spv said:
charvelstrat81":2ajc1spv said:
I am thinking of getting a DS mini and wanted to ask which celestion gels best with this head?

There was a guy at my local GC a few months ago playing the Pink Taco thru it`s 1x12 cab which I think has a V30 and that amp was doing a very convincing job on Somebody Get Me A Doctor , he had the gain around noon and it sounded really good

it was a creamback 65M IF it was the friedman matching cab?
https://reverb.com/item/280667-friedman ... 12-cabinet
I am worried if i pull the plug on a PT 20 now i will regret not getting the RUNT which is said to be a lot like the PT-20 but with a dedicated clean channel and a footswitchable gain boost.
They should sound very similar overall with the Runt having the bonus of a presence knob added.

Runt 20 is a BE channel and a simple clean with a 20 watt power section. Has about the same gain as the BE100 BE channel.. 1299.00 also Has a great cab sim out and the 20 has a built in load, so you can use it with no cab if needed. Videos coming this month while thinks are shipping to stores..

RACKSYSTEMS":3rslvv1c said:
Runt 20 is a BE channel and a simple clean with a 20 watt power section. Has about the same gain as the BE100 BE channel.. 1299.00 also Has a great cab sim out and the 20 has a built in load, so you can use it with no cab if needed. Videos coming this month while thinks are shipping to stores..

Holy crap, that is awesome!!

Dave you make great stuff man. Whether it be pedals, amps, FRFR solutions, etc. you just make outstanding gear. I can only speak for myself on this but sure my forum friends for years here will agree, you are making gear that we have been wanting for years. It is like someone finally gets it. :)

charvelstrat81":2v95ssat said:
hammered":2v95ssat said:
charvelstrat81":2v95ssat said:

it was a creamback 65M IF it was the friedman matching cab?
https://reverb.com/item/280667-friedman ... 12-cabinet
I am worried if i pull the plug on a PT 20 now i will regret not getting the RUNT which is said to be a lot like the PT-20 but with a dedicated clean channel and a footswitchable gain boost.
They should sound very similar overall with the Runt having the bonus of a presence knob added.

If it was me I`d wait for the Runt with the EL34s

RACKSYSTEMS":3pyhpwuu said:

Wow so there is a built in load for the Runt 20? So how does that work just unplug the cab and it will sense it automatically? By chance is it a "reactive" load?

Question on Runt 20
I know many have said PT gets loud fast
And is hard to control for low volume
Is the taper on the master been addressed for
Better control at bedroom volumes or is it the same as PT

gtr31":dz8r6chq said:
Question on Runt 20
Better control at bedroom volumes or is it the same as PT

The Runt sounds nice for sure. I have a PT and it's not at all difficult to use at low volume. Sure it gets loud pretty quick but I have no trouble using it at low volume. No worries there.

errrrrl":uupcliy9 said:
RACKSYSTEMS":uupcliy9 said:

Wow so there is a built in load for the Runt 20? So how does that work just unplug the cab and it will sense it automatically? By chance is it a "reactive" load?

It's not a reactive load but it sounds great. If the speaker cable is unplugged from the amp it has a load. Only on the runt 20

gtr31 said:
Question on Runt 20
Better control at bedroom volumes or is it the same as PT[/quot

This was only on the earlier tacos. Over time it has been greatly improved. The Runt 20works well.

Back