Gate-Talk

OldGtrGuy

After getting the Uberschall I realize now I need a noise gate. I saw harddrivers post about the Revv G8 and it makes me want one.

I've had a few of the older name brand pedals like ISP and Boss. Depending on the amp the NS2 works great but I did favor the G string 2 overall.

I see others posting the Revv G8 was better than ISP but im also looking at the Zuul+.

I'm looking for the best in a pedal format. Something that changes the tone as little as possible, stops the noise and doesn't kill the sustain.

What should I be looking at?

Last edited:
I'm using a Zuul with good results. I have it in the loop, keyed off the thru on my input buffer. If you 4CM, I recommend something that does that.

I'm using a Zuul with good results. I have it in the loop, keyed off the thru on my input buffer. If you 4CM, I recommend something that does that.
I do see the zuul FS here but when I look at the Zuul+ I'm like hmmm.

I don't mind 4CM at all, seems to work much better anyway but I've always been weary of those "key inputs". The truth is idk much about it but im super hesitant, I don't want to have to buy another pedal just to use my pedal. Kind of dumb to me. So if my amp is perfect and all I need is one single pedal (gate) then I can't use the zuul?

I do see the zuul FS here but when I look at the Zuul+ I'm like hmmm.

I don't mind 4CM at all, seems to work much better anyway but I've always been weary of those "key inputs". The truth is idk much about it but im super hesitant, I don't want to have to buy another pedal just to use my pedal. Kind of dumb to me. So if my amp is perfect and all I need is one single pedal (gate) then I can't use the zuul?
I would still key it when i ran in front because i hit others in front of it, but if you dont use a boost, then you dont need key in front. But for you, i would recommend keying and putting in loop

After getting the Uberschall I realize now I need a noise gate. I saw harddrivers post about the Revv G8 and it makes me want one.

I've had a few of the older name brand pedals like ISP and Boss. Depending on the amp the NS2 works great but I did favor the G string 2 overall.

I see others posting the Revv G8 was better than ISP but im also looking at the Zuul+.

I'm looking for the best in a pedal format. Something that changes the tone as little as possible, stops the noise and doesn't kill the sustain.

What should I be looking at?
I have a Revv G8. Definitely not the pedal you'd want for sustain. Even with settings fully on low with the guitar plugged straight in and to the amp, it will gate the noise. Maybe I'm expecting too much, as I'm used to a noise suppressor rather than a gate. If I were to use the G8, it would be with high gain rhythm and certain lead stuff but not a 'leave on' kind of pedal. At least not for me.

I'd rather pay $25 for a gate vs $200 but is it really good or is that a joke? I don't know what's real anymore
I have not even taken it out of the box yet bro. I was not even sure if a gate would help so that's why I bought the cheapo behringer....plus I wanted to run it up front and in the loop.

The 2 best gate pedals I’ve had (and kept) are the Highwind phalanx and Deadweald Golem, but you’d have to find them used since they’re not made anymore I think. The Revv G8 I returned the same day I got it after comparing with those 2 keepers. They’re still definitely not perfect, but better at least than all the others I’ve had

I want to get a boss waza ns2. It’s worked for many people for ages and for the pros. I don’t see why it won’t work for me.

I want to get a boss waza ns2. It’s worked for many people for ages and for the pros. I don’t see why it won’t work for me.
Is waza just premium parts same schematic? I've seen the name but wasn't sure.

My experience with the NS2 is hit or miss and depends entirely on the amp/fx loop.

With some amps it worked incredibly well and was perfect but with other amps it sucked tone, barely served it's purpose.

Is waza just premium parts same schematic? I've seen the name but wasn't sure.

My experience with the NS2 is hit or miss and depends entirely on the amp/fx loop.

With some amps it worked incredibly well and was perfect but with other amps it sucked tone, barely served it's purpose.
It’s got a few different modes and is a redesign or update from what I recall. It also has a guitar sense/thru capability if you decide to use it in the loop. I’ve not tried one but it’s the only one on my radar.

A long time ago I had an ISP prorack G stereo modded noise gate and it sucked extended lows out of your tone. It was transparent everywhere else sonically but it touched the thump of a modded amp so I sold it. Hoping the NS2 waza is better.

It’s got a few different modes and is a redesign or update from what I recall. It also has a guitar sense/thru capability if you decide to use it in the loop. I’ve not tried one but it’s the only one on my radar.

A long time ago I had an ISP prorack G stereo modded noise gate and it sucked extended lows out of your tone. It was transparent everywhere else sonically but it touched the thump of a modded amp so I sold it. Hoping the NS2 waza is better.
Just took a look and that NS-1X does look pretty nice.

Just took a look and that NS-1X does look pretty nice.
If you are somewhat of a tone snob like the rest of us, I'd advise against that one. Bought it and returned it the next day. Does a weird thing to your highs/treble and its flexibility is not as useful or intuitive as it's marketed to be. If you like Boss, you would be better off with a standard NS-1.

If you just need something basic, get a cheapo from Amazon. If you want a high end unit, I'd go for a Highwind Phalanx or TC Electronics Sentry gate. The Phalanx is way easier to use but if you really want to nerd out and dial in your gate perfectly, the TC has an app where you can virtually adjust everything for the perfect decay, etc. Its a lot of work but way worth it when you get it dialed in.

If you are somewhat of a tone snob like the rest of us
I am, I'm looking for the best possible pedal. Would love to pay as little as possible but dont mind paying a little more if it's worth it.

TC has an app where you can virtually adjust everything for the perfect decay, etc. Its a lot of work but way worth it when you get it dialed in.
That sounds good, I don't mind spending time with it and these seem cheaper than most on the used market, definitely on the radar now.

i use the Guptech Sun Noise Gate. It works like a charm and its cheaper than the Zuul.. which I've also had and the Guptech pedal made me sell the Zuul due to getting the exact same results.

I Also put it in the loop and has a signal sense with a pass thru so your guitar plugs into it and then into the amp input.

https://guptech.ca/products/copy-of-guul-noise-gate?variant=41372895412424

Good luck
Thanks, that looks pretty interesting as well and definitely a better price.

I did end up getting an offer on the Sentry accepted on reverb so I'll be going that route first.

Back