Getting a new cab for the VHX and I don’t know much about cabs

I tried searching for answers but I couldn’t find anything. I apologize for the detail.

So I’m basically brand new to cabs, the Diezel is my first independent head (I bought a used 5153 but it came with a matching cab). I’m looking at getting a 412 Emperor cab built because I’m shallow, I really like the look and I’ve heard decent things.

I was recommended Weber Silverbell (300w) speakers for my kind of music (Think Tool for one band, and Fleetwood Mac for the other, so versatility is important). The other speaker options are Eminence Swamp Thang (600w), Eminence Swamp Thang/Texas Heat (600w, x-pattern), Weber Graywolf (300w), Weber Graywolf/Silverwolf (400w, x-pattern).

My first question is mainly about impedance. The VHX has 5 outputs. Two 4 ohm outputs, two 8 ohm outputs, and one 16 ohm output. The cab I’m looking to have built has the option for a mono input, or two parallel inputs. I can choose between an impedance of 8 ohms or 16 ohms for either input style. I would like to get the parallel option, that way if I buy a second head I can run it into the same cab. But which impedance should I choose? If I get 8 ohms do I have to connect both the VHX 8 ohm outputs to both parallel inputs to safely run it? Can I use one 8 ohm output into one of the parallel inputs? Or should I get the 16 ohm impedance, and then I run the Diezels output into one of the inputs.

I don’t have a second head right now, so I’d prefer to use all the speakers. 8 ohm impedance makes more sense because then I can use both the Diezel outputs to run into the parallel inputs. But if I get a second head will the VHX run safely out of one 8 ohm output?

The second question is speaker choices. The silverbells were recommended by emperor but I’d be open to other suggestions (I can also buy an empty cabinet and install my own speakers).

I’m sorry if this is a simple question, I’m just new to this and I want to get it right before I spend the money.

Thanks for your help guys!

Cannot answer your Speaker question, as this is quite to personal taste. I use 2x12" V30 rear-loaded.

Regarding the ohm output, anything of 8 or 16 ohm cabinet will work, just a question how you cable it.

So example:

A single cabinet with 8 ohm --> one cable from speaker out 8 ohm
Two cabinets 8 ohm --> use 2x4 ohm

Single Cabinet 16ohm --> one cable out of 16 ohm
2 cabinets á 16 ohm --> use both 8 ohm outputs

you should not get a 4 ohm cabinet in case you want to use a second 4 ohm one at any time in parallel

For you cabinet, for me it does not make sense to have the Diezel feeding one cabinet with two outputs... so you would switch the cabinet to MONO, 8ohm as example and using only one cable

Okay so if I get an 8 ohm parallel input, then I would run from one of the VHX’s 8 ohm outputs into one of the inputs, leaving the other input free to hook up another head?

Okay so if I get an 8 ohm parallel input, then I would run from one of the VHX’s 8 ohm outputs into one of the inputs, leaving the other input free to hook up another head?
I have never tried to hook up two cabinets to the same cabinet, so not 100% sure, and do not want to say something wrong here..

most likely depends on your cabinet and the way it is wired in stereo/mono mode

I’m looking at getting a 412 Emperor cab built because I’m shallow, I really like the look and I’ve heard decent things.
I am also shallow and like good looking gear. Most here probably do.

Check these out. Haven't ordered yet, but they look super cool. Haven't been able to find many reviews though.

https://atlastone.com/

Others to check out:

https://coffee-audio.com/
https://www.tyranttone.com/ - Just found this one yesterday watching a CME video on Adam Jones' Guitar (below)

Back