GFS REDactive pickups...CLIP!

nwright

I've posted about these on other music forums, but I don't think anyone has said anything about them here?

GFS makes decent low quality, low budget stuff, but these new REDactive pickups have surprised me.

I have 2 of them in 2 different guitars and I'm in love with them. I've used EMG 81's, 85's and most recently 57's. Of those, the 57 is definitely my favorite. They are a little more vintage flavored and have a more passive like tone while retaining the active clarity and quiet...

But the REDactives IMO are what the 57 wants to be. MUCH more passive feeling, more of a vintage/PAF vibe IMO, but still the clarity and low noise floor I love about actives. The REDactives seem to be a little more dynamic over EMG's as well, and even more so at 18 volts.

They have a snap and attack that I'm really digging.

Anyone else try them out?

here's a song I'm working on using them. REDactive bridge pickup into an EVH 5150III 50 watt into a Diezel 4x12 with Vintage 30's miked with an SM57.
https://soundcloud.com/judgementnate/demo-514-032513

Sounds aggressive as hell man. I have a JH set i'm dying to use, but if i'm not that much of a fan of them after I try them out, i'll definitely look into these. They seem to have a really thick and chunky low mid!

Any chance of a comparison between the GFS and the 57? Or an 81 for that matter, would really love to hear them side by side.

Back