Gibson SG Exclusive

barnesjd

This one is for sale within driving distance. Ever heard of Exclusives? I sure haven't. For the most part I'm not keen on SGs in the Norlin era because they often lacked good things like neck binding, but this one has it. The bridge pick up looks a little crooked, but shouldn't be hard to fix. What do y'all think about it?

Holy shit that headstock is huge! I'd ask for more closeups of the headstock (and back of headstock). That thing has probably taken some serious dives.

dirtyfunkg":23ayrn4g said:
Holy shit that headstock is huge! I'd ask for more closeups of the headstock (and back of headstock). That thing has probably taken some serious dives.

Yup, most common thing to happen to sg's, lean em up against the amp... bam headstock breaks off after the floor cushions its fall! :LOL: :LOL: If it's close and you're interested take a drive and do some jammin on it. I like SG's. I'd make them an offer, but don't know anything about that particular model. My buddy just bought an early 70's with mini buckers in it for 450 bucks, but it had the headstock crack where it had been reglued. Sounds good though.

Ah yeah, great tip. I've shopped for both LPs and SGs in the past and noticed that it is SUPER common for the 70s era headstocks to be broken at some point. I'll double check that for sure.

It is a nice looking guitar, and I'm sure the dirty fingers will sound great. I don't think I've seen one that color either. Nevermind, it's black. I thought it was a dark maroon. lol.. age is getting to me :LOL: :LOL:

GOHOINC":31ita8qj said:
https://books.google.com/books?id=fNYei9efBCUC&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=gibson+sg+exclusive&source=bl&ots=C0IG1U67h4&sig=w8wAxrjajYi92pYoWO5Mv8rkhqE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5spOBzNHJAhXGKB4KHVN6DzY4ChDoAQheMAM#v=onepage&q=gibson%20sg%20exclusive&f=false

More info on the 1979 gibson sg exclusive run...

Alot of the pics show these with the TP6 fine tuner tailpiece, looks like this one may have been replaced. BUt looks like a good price vs. other old listings you can find. Looks like there is one on reverb right now as well...

Cool, thanks for that link!

For some reason I've not been hearing back from the guy since I asked why the bridge pickup was crooked. I'd probably buy it anyway because that's fixable, but I can't do that if he's gonna ignore me. :thumbsdown:

He got back with me. I've asked him to take a look at why that bridge pickup is crooked. Hopefully it's just some screws backing out. I've already learned he doesn't do any of the tech work on it, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's simply that.

Awesome! I hope it works out for ya'. I have a 71 Gibson SG, my first electric guitar when I was 12, in 1984.. :LOL: :LOL: , and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Great for smooth jazz to heavy rock. I hope you have the same experience!

HilltopExplosion":2qt091ja said:
Awesome! I hope it works out for ya'. I have a 71 Gibson SG, my first electric guitar when I was 12, in 1984.. :LOL: :LOL: , and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Great for smooth jazz to heavy rock. I hope you have the same experience!

What color is it? Take two looks to make sure you get it right. :LOL: :LOL:

Back